Coral Vue Hydros

water perimeters 7 month old tank

Cutter79

I went through a late diatom bloom mostly on the glass in my reefer 350. I started running Rowa through a reactor about 5 weeks ago. Now my glass remains clear and there is a bit of green algae on the rocks that you can only see when the lights are turned off and shine a light on them. Latest tests show 440 cal 9.5 alk 1.0 nitrate 0.00 phos. Would you recommend turning off the reactor now to raise the phosphates a little or is it best to keep them at 0 being a new tank? Corals in the tank are mostly lps - Favia, torch, hammer, frogspawn, Duncan, large toadstool , mushroom garden, 2 smaller zoa gardens. Thank you. 

20190124_111553.jpg

I would bring the phosphates up a bit. From what I heard, most people say 0.03. What test kit do you use for that phosphates? I had trouble for all colour coded phosphate test kits and ended up getting a hanna low range phosphorus (HI736)

16 minutes ago, paulsz said:

I would bring the phosphates up a bit. From what I heard, most people say 0.03. What test kit do you use for that phosphates? I had trouble for all colour coded phosphate test kits and ended up getting a hanna low range phosphorus (HI736)

I use a Hanna for phosphates and Seachem for cal and alk.

I ran gfo through a reactor for the first few months in my tank.  After a while I starved my corals and some started bleaching.  I now run a smaller quantity of gfo in a filter bag.  I would keep an eye on corals and algae and react accordingly.

2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I ran gfo through a reactor for the first few months in my tank.  After a while I starved my corals and some started bleaching.  I now run a smaller quantity of gfo in a filter bag.  I would keep an eye on corals and algae and react accordingly.

Thank you.

Never ran a reactor but used small quantities of phosguard.

I stopped using all phos reducing media and my corals have been happiest since.

Having some phos is beneficial, having 0 is not.

• Like 1