Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is my LR cured?

Vaideen

Okay, last question/mini-thread-spam 🙂

Bought about 6kg of live rock over a week ago, and it's been in a bucket for a week, with a strong powerhead. The live rock had just arrived at the LFS the day before I bought it, so it smelt a bit funky and I figured it was just uncured. When I first placed the LR into the bucket, the water got super cloudy for a couple days.

Skip to today, the water is clear, and the LR still smells a bit gross, but not as strongly as it did before. I tested the water today, ammonia is at 0.15.

Is the LR ready to be put into the display tank?

Are you adding it to an established tank? If the rock is still producing ammonia then it is not completely cycled. If you add it to a tank that has a stable bacteria colony, it will most likely be able to processes the additional ammonia you're adding but you could see a mini cycle. 

I would probably let it keep cycling until there is no more ammonia registering.

If there is ammonia present there is die off.

Completely cured liverock should not smell bad and the dirty water is a sign that it most likely isn't cured.

If it came straight from the ocean, during transport there would be die off and a lot of detritus, which sounds like what you have

If the tank is new with no livestock you can add it to the tank and cycle it in there, if it's an established tank, let it cycle in the bucket.

I would use a Turkey baster on the rocks to remove detritus from it.

17 minutes ago, JavaJacketOC said:

Are you adding it to an established tank? If the rock is still producing ammonia then it is not completely cycled. If you add it to a tank that has a stable bacteria colony, it will most likely be able to processes the additional ammonia you're adding but you could see a mini cycle. 

I would probably let it keep cycling until there is no more ammonia registering.

10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If there is ammonia present there is die off.

Completely cured liverock should not smell bad and the dirty water is a sign that it most likely isn't cured.

If it came straight from the ocean, during transport there would be die off and a lot of detritus, which sounds like what you have

If the tank is new with no livestock you can add it to the tank and cycle it in there, if it's an established tank, let it cycle in the bucket.

I would use a Turkey baster on the rocks to remove detritus from it.

The tank I'm adding it to already has livestock (a single goby and lots of crustaceans) and cured live rock (albeit just a few small pieces).

I'll leave it in the bucket and keep testing for ammonia. Definitely sure the powerhead is strong enough to keep the detritus off the rocks.