inTank Media Baskets

Feeding frequency

Scorcher80

Having researched over the last few months I can to the conclusion to feed twice a day... until in conversation at the local marine shop I was advised only to feed every 2-3 days? I am now totally confused as it goes against everything I have read and come to understand. Any advice on this please? Many thanks 

Depends what fish you have and what you are feeding and how much you feeding per session.  Most people feed once a day or even once every 2 days.  IMO, large twice a day feeding can easily lead to nutrient issues.  

Please list the fish you have and size of your tank.  

17g with a maroon and midas blenny here. I feed once every 2 days (sometimes 3) a moderate amount of mysis and also target feed the corals. In a small system I would be concerned with nutrient overload. Everything is happy and the fish are plump. This schedule also allows me to head out for a long weekend without being concerned about missing a meal or arranging someone to drop by and feed.

A Little Blue

Frogfish might need one large meal every few days of so, Anthias need to feed all day long or at the very least several times per day. 

It’s important not to overfeed. Uneaten food will get trapped in your filter media, floss, sump etc. It’s not only just a simple waste but something that can create havoc over period of time if this practice continues. Filtration options also play a big part of your system ability to process waste, including uneaten food particles. Inefficient filtration system will struggle to keep up with bad habit of overfeeding. Ppl with newly setup tank or filtration system that might be insufficient for feeding regiment that reefers with robust filtration system and established/stable tank practice could lead to problems. 

Best advive I can give is, get to know your fish, get familiar with your system ability to keep up nutrients and waste by frequent water tests, don’t fall for many anecdotal experiences from unconfirmed sources, educate yourself and make your adjustment slow and with clear head. 

In my Reefer 350 I have 2 smaller clowns, 2 lyretail anthias, 1 coral beauty, 3 chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 royal grama, 1 diamond goby, I feed 1 cube a day alternating between brine, mysis blood worms and then coral food i drop a few pellets in to distract the fish while I feed the corals. I feel like I am under feeding but the fish seem healthy.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

I feed 2-4 times per day. Small amounts. Enough for 1-2 minute feast. 2-4 times per week for corals (fish also get a scoop of that). Feeding live phytoplankton daily. 

Smaller frag tank, 1-2 feedings per day (corals once per week and twice with phytoplankton). Filtration system in that setup isn’t as efficient hence the feeding regiment. 

I feed once a day.  Two clowns and a six line in a 30l.  I also feed reef chili a couple times a week.  As others have stated, all depends on what fish you have.