ReefCleaners.org

Coral placement questions

If_Only

So I just got my first batch of corals, and oh my god, I feel the addiction, and the money briskly floating out of my account... Im already planning my next batch, which Is gonna be in about 2ish weeks, and I have questions on placement. If my softies that I picked up (3 leathers, a 10 head zoa frag and a rodactus muchroom that I spelled wrong) if they all do good im gonna clear my self onto so basic LPS, like a hammer, blasto, maybe a candy cane, and a big maybe to a scoly (want to make sure I don't kill it) but basically im mostly concerned with the placement of the hammer, or frog spawn which ever I choose. I eventually want a Duncan sort of near it, but based on the way I drilled the rock (for frag plugs) there would be about 3ish inches apart, which I know is to close, but the hammer would be about 2 inches higher than it, and to top it off they would be facing different directions. Another thing im concerned with is that I will be putting the hammer a little low and facing out just near my top shelf, which is where id like to keep my finger leather, or maybe a birds nest if I ever get into sps, so I'm worried the Hammer would grow out to sting the coral,  I will try my best to get a photo, and I hope what I said made sense and I didn't just ramble.

(I will get the photo once it loads)

Give your corals space to grow. For euphyllia corals, you'll need about 5 inches of clearance around it for growth and to keep it's sweeper tentacles from committing coral warfare with neighbors. Same goes with chalice corals, war corals and other super stingers.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

Give your corals space to grow. For euphyllia corals, you'll need about 5 inches of clearance around it for growth and to keep it's sweeper tentacles from committing coral warfare with neighbors. Same goes with chalice corals, war corals and other super stingers.

I don’t believe they do, but do Duncan’s utilize sweepers? Cause I have a super spot for in, just I don’t want it sting everything around it.

Duncans definitely sting, and some of them can grow long sweepers.  As @OPtasia said above, all euphyllias and chalices need room.  I have a number of euphyllias and a chalice and can tell you they absolutely grow long sweepers and sting the heck out of each other.  I posted a video in my journal of my chalice the other day.  I had no idea it had sweepers, let alone how long they were until I happened to check on it just before lights out.  Euphyllias, except torches can be near each other and will not be affected by each other, but they still need room to grow.

My hammers send out long sweepers from time to time, at least 2.5" long from its body and it's a small hammer.

Their sweepers can get longer.

Corals need room or you can expect warfare at some point.

26 minutes ago, Lognor said:

Duncans definitely sting, and some of them can grow long sweepers.  As @OPtasia said above, all euphyllias and chalices need room.  I have a number of euphyllias and a chalice and can tell you they absolutely grow long sweepers and sting the heck out of each other.  I posted a video in my journal of my chalice the other day.  I had no idea it had sweepers, let alone how long they were until I happened to check on it just before lights out.  Euphyllias, except torches can be near each other and will not be affected by each other, but they still need room to grow.

Alright, so would it be smart to detocate a shelf to my euphilia? Do they grow super tall or could u have some vertical zoos above them? I just want a coral that can be facing away frog where your looking and you can still see it?

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

My hammers send out long sweepers from time to time, at least 2.5" long from its body and it's a small hammer.

Their sweepers can get longer.

Corals need room or you can expect warfare at some point.

I could also put them on the top shelf, in just worried that’s too much flow... and it might eventually touch my zoa area.

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It's hard to say.

We need to see the tank 

In general most corals need space because of sweepers, chemical warfare, and overgrowth

image.thumb.png.7da17b3c4212c9257409731225a5d1b8.png

Thats the best photo I have, ill take more tonight once im home, also do you think hammers would try to sting zoos about them??

2 hours ago, If_Only said:

image.thumb.png.7da17b3c4212c9257409731225a5d1b8.png

Thats the best photo I have, ill take more tonight once im home, also do you think hammers would try to sting zoos about them??

All euphyllia can sting.

Placement of corals is between the corals needs for light/flow, how rapidly and large it grows, as well as if it can sting.

14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

All euphyllia can sting.

Placement of corals is between the corals needs for light/flow, how rapidly and large it grows, as well as if it can sting.

Alright, I think I have a nice niche spot for a eyphyllia garden, moderate flow and pretty good light, also easy to isolate from others, and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll just move it.