Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Buying fish/coral online

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So, I ordered 2 emerald crabs, and a few other things from LiveAquaria. This was my 2nd time doing it, but I was just wondering something. I have someone to take my order into the house when it arrives, but I won’t be home till about 4 or 5 hours later. Would they be ok as long as they are inside? When I ordered last time, my Gold Nugget Maroon Clown and anemone were fine, but I ordered a crinoid squat lobster, and he did not make it. 

Chris's Fishes

Is there anything super sensitive coming? I'd say the emeralds would be fine (unless one of them died during shipping), and most hardy stuff would probably do fine as long as nothing went terribly wrong.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Fisker said:

Is there anything super sensitive coming? I'd say the emeralds would be fine (unless one of them died during shipping), and most hardy stuff would probably do fine as long as nothing went terribly wrong.

I’m getting 2 emeralds, a pocillopora crab and a pocillopora coral, a mini maxi anemone and a porcelain anemone crab, and last of all a yellow watchman goby.

Chris's Fishes
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m getting 2 emeralds, a pocillopora crab and a pocillopora coral, a mini maxi anemone and a porcelain anemone crab, and last of all a yellow watchman goby.

I don't have any experience at all when it comes to pocillopora coral, but in general, I think that most inverts and corals should be fine as long as the box doesn't get too terribly cold (or too hot). With just a few hours extra in the box (which LA probably prepares the box for, just in case), I don't think you'll have any issues.

I'd ask the person to sit the box in a cooler room in the house, to try and avoid cooking everything - 10 degrees too cold is better than 10 degrees too hot, and I'd be concerned that the heat packs might overheat the box if it sets in a room that's much warmer than 74 or so.

• Like 1

It'll be totally fine. I've ordered plenty of stuff, including acros, online and shipped to work. It'd arrive around noon time and sit under my desk until I left at 5 and never once had an issue.

One other option would be to have the person bringing them inside to open the box and just toss all the bags into your tank - not to open them or do anything, literally just toss the bags into the water. It'll keep the temperature perfect and you don't have to worry about getting cold or overheating.