inTank Media Baskets

Worth buying a used RO/DI?

hotdrop

There is a used BRS 5 stage RO/Di system on sale for 45 bux on my local offerup, is it worth buying it used and just replacing all the cartridges or are there other things that need to be replaced too? I've never used one before so not super sure what to look for or what the right price for one is. 

Just add purchase price plus price of getting all new cartrages and if cheaper than new go for it.  Not much else to go bad on them.  That said, if your only saving 5-10 bucks then obviously a few extra bucks for piece of mind might be worth that. 

Just now, Jeff Hood said:

Just add purchase price plus price of getting all new cartrages and if cheaper than new go for it.  Not much else to go bad on them.  

No issues with seals?

If your ok with changing the filters not much to go bad on them except bypass valve. But I would get prices on the cost of replacement filters and I bet your right there in price on cost or close too a new one.

If it doesn't leak, it's worth. you can test the membrane performance fairly easily after you replace all of the other filters. Just don't hook up the DI then do a pre and post filter TDS check. If you're getting 98%+ rejection, you don't need to replace the membrane yet. 

I have the spectrapure membrane that is 99% rejection and it's getting near 3 years now and still performing well.

I would need to see it but it’s likely worth it. Cheapest 5 stage BRS is currently selling is $200. Replacement filter kit is $50 plus membrane, if needed, would be between $35 for the cheapest model, depending on how many gallons per day the unit it. If a new membrane is needed of pocket you are looking at saving $65 as long as the seller didn’t do something stupid like remove the hoses. If it is the better model with the inline tds meter and pressure gauge add $65 to the cost for the cheapest model, which would have you saving $130 after replacing membrane and filters. The prices go up for more gallons per day so the savings could actually be more. An important thing to note though is that even though the membrane price raises with gallons per day, the same filters are used. 

If if it is the lowest model with cut hoses or something, I would skip it as these are pretty much just plug and play for people who don’t know plumbing. If the hoses are intact, I would get it in an instant. Heck, I have their 4 stage and would still buy this if it was in working order. 

The guy had sold the other one by the time I got there. Got a simple 4 stage for $40. This one looks like it didnt have alge bloom in the tanks but not a 5 stage. I think im missing a fitting though to hook it up to the outside hose. Any idea what I need. Also how do I check if the cartridge is still good?  Looks like a coralife unit.

qB8m8i1.jpgX2626FZ.jpg?1

The top picture looks like a bypass valve. After you take the screen strainer off a sink faucet it goes on end. To test it you need a tds meter, put a gallon or two thru it then test the water with a tds meter.

9 hours ago, hotdrop said:

The guy had sold the other one by the time I got there. Got a simple 4 stage for $40. This one looks like it didnt have alge bloom in the tanks but not a 5 stage. I think im missing a fitting though to hook it up to the outside hose. Any idea what I need. Also how do I check if the cartridge is still good?  Looks like a coralife unit.

qB8m8i1.jpgX2626FZ.jpg?1

For a garden hose or utility sink.  I use this.  Works great. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-garden-hose-utility-sink-adapter.html

5 hours ago, hotdrop said:

yeah the on sink bypass valve make sense, the bottom one looks like it should be a bypass valve but has nowhere to hook into

Just different adapters that came with the unit. I think I had three different ones with mine and only used one. Are you good with plumbing and do you have a dedicated place where you can mount the unit, or are you hooking it to a sink and only having it hooked up as needed?

20 minutes ago, Rob22 said:

Just different adapters that came with the unit. I think I had three different ones with mine and only used one. Are you good with plumbing and do you have a dedicated place where you can mount the unit, or are you hooking it to a sink and only having it hooked up as needed?

I moved my laundry machine a couple years ago so I have a free laundry faucet that i was going to use.