Cultivated Reef

Mobile Yellow Hitchhiker - weird nudi?

WhatsReef

Rearranging my rock on a 3ish week old tank. This feller clearly crawled onto that dry rock form inside the live rock and it's got a gravel stuck to it as if it's a slug/snail. Not moving, but I'll post another photo if it starts moving and reveals antennae or whatnot.

hitchin-a-ride.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's a filter feeder of some kind now... hasn't moved from the spot it's now at but it the top part in the photo now appears to be a cluster of round polyp-like things that have small holes for water intake.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, WhatsReef said:

I think it's a filter feeder of some kind now... hasn't moved from the spot it's now at but it the top part in the photo now appears to be a cluster of round polyp-like things that have small holes for water intake.

Probably tunicates. Do they react when disturbed?

7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Probably tunicates. Do they react when disturbed?

Yeah, it does look like tunicates now. I didn't realize that it was one colony with a single foot to move around with... I just kind of assumed tunicates were not mobile at all and were more granular like coral polyps rather than just one big creature with a shared foot. But now that it's been like 12+ hours I can see the balloon things are inflated and they each have a distinct hole.

The foot area has changed color to darker brown - maybe just because it retracted/tightened up so the yellow appears brown now. And I can see distinct holes in each little orb. Got some (similar looking) really cool deep blue tunicates on one of my rocks as well 🤙

1 minute ago, WhatsReef said:

Yeah, it does look like tunicates now. I didn't realize that it was one colony with a single foot to move around with... I just kind of assumed tunicates were not mobile at all and were more granular like coral polyps rather than just one big creature with a shared foot. But now that it's been like 12+ hours I can see the balloon things are inflated and they each have a distinct hole.

The foot area has changed color to darker brown - maybe just because it retracted/tightened up so the yellow appears brown now. And I can see distinct holes in each little orb. Got some (similar looking) really cool deep blue tunicates on one of my rocks as well 🤙

I have a bunch of yellow ones in my 75. They grew in a “chain” formation,  each one hooked to the next. 

Just now, WV Reefer said:

I have a bunch of yellow ones in my 75. They grew in a “chain” formation,  each one hooked to the next. 

Cool! Was really hoping that the tunicates I have would spread because having lots of weird little critters on my rock is one of my favorite things about having a tank. So it's encouraging to hear that you're having success with that.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Follow-up question: will hermits each them? Right now the yellow ones are right out in the open - wondering if I should place the little chunk of rock it's on such that hermits won't be able to reach it?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, WhatsReef said:

Follow-up question: will hermits each them? Right now the yellow ones are right out in the open - wondering if I should place the little chunk of rock it's on such that hermits won't be able to reach it?

Mine are high up on an island so I’m not sure.  My fish will eat them on occasion tho