ReefCleaners.org

somewhat neglected tank

uwharrie

9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

If Phosphate continues to be an issue, here’s a really good YouTube video by Marc Levenson of Melev’s Reef on Phosphate RX, which is lanthanum chloride... he has been using it successfully in his tank for many years and recommends it for Phosphate control:

thanks! I hope the reactor plus water changes takes care of it. I no longer have any algae issues ( but gosh knows I did at one point)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

If Phosphate continues to be an issue, here’s a really good YouTube video by Marc Levenson of Melev’s Reef on Phosphate RX, which is lanthanum chloride... he has been using it successfully in his tank for many years and recommends it for Phosphate control:

That's all I use now. I hated gfo and other methods that started strong and then ran out over time, because my phosphates were continually bouncing from too low to too high, and they would crash every time I put in new media.

• Like 3

I will hope that running the reactor will help. but good to know there are other options. I have not really had an algae issue in some time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's all I use now. I hated gfo and other methods that started strong and then ran out over time, because my phosphates were continually bouncing from too low to too high, and they would crash every time I put in new media.

The only issue I see is I don't have a sock and my skimmer rarely works like it should. I notice he mentioned running a canister on an AIO ( which I do not have)

• Like 1
On 1/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, uwharrie said:

The only issue I see is I don't have a sock and my skimmer rarely works like it should. I notice he mentioned running a canister on an AIO ( which I do not have)

You are correct, no lanthanum chloride for you 🙂

It requires some way to get the precipitated phosphates out of the water, either by a fine particulate filter or a skimmer.

• Like 1

Did the softies perk up at all with the water change?  Sometimes a few of those will go a long way in giving a tank the boost it needs.  It replenishes trace elements as well as exporting nutrients.

• Like 1