Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help Me Choose A Tank!?

iHexBot

Hello fellow reefers 😃,

I'm getting the itch again after a nearly 2 year long break. Two years isn't a whole lot of time for us humans, but I thought it would be worthwhile to check and see what has changed, if anything, over the last two years in the world of reefing. Is Red Sea still considered to be an industry leader? I am currently dabbling with the idea of purchasing either a Red Sea REEFER 28G system or a Red Sea REEFER 170. I would love any and all feedback from current owners and prospective owners of these tanks (or other tanks). What do you like about 'em? What do you hate about 'em? What do you wish you had known before purchasing? What do you wish they included but don't? Etc.? You get the point 😁.

So, if the budget is there, are there any tank / stand / sump combos I should be considering outside of those made by Red Sea in 2019? Probably important to note that I really like the idea of a 20g tank, but could be convinced to move towards a 30g tank for the right quality and price. Ideally, I'd like to make a purchase that includes a tank, sump, and stand that are ready to go (similar to what the REEFER series has to offer).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

iHexBot.

get the biggest you can they are i cant say less maitnece but more opertunities,options and overall a better reefing experience and also water chemistry swings less because more water more time for stuff to change

there are so many philosophies on fish keeping now...and the tech is so broad and varied it brings opportunities nobody could have fathomed. pico tanks, nano reefs to the bigger full scale setups. so you really need to sit down and ponder what you want. species only tank? community tank? both? KISS? full of tech? you're likely going to end up far from what you thought you wanted by the time you get to where you're going! 😉

This guy is extra salty

Lol depending on what you want to buy it’s mostly for a name brand with the same bells and whistles most companies offer. But if it were me (I’m on a tight budget) I would build it myself. 

375B6824-386E-4A51-BD62-9ED167411638.jpeg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Lol depending on what you want to buy it’s mostly for a name brand with the same bells and whistles most companies offer. But if it were me (I’m on a tight budget) I would build it myself. 

375B6824-386E-4A51-BD62-9ED167411638.jpeg

Nice job. Looks really clean and well done

• Thanks 1

I have a Refer 170. I don't think I would get the Nano unless you really want something small. What are you wanting to keep? 

I love my tank with the exception of the drain gig...I've had a really hard time tuning in it. Most don't seem to have this problem but those that do (like me) seem to have the issue consistently. It gets old after a while.

Other than this, it's a pretty tank.

4 hours ago, CoralStorm said:

get the biggest you can they are i cant say less maitnece but more opertunities,options and overall a better reefing experience and also water chemistry swings less because more water more time for stuff to change

18ADA89A-8482-4193-9F6D-2B44AFE7A1AB.jpeg

• Haha 1

i would pick a tank based on the dimensions you like, what will make maintenance easy, and what sort of fish you want to keep. The coral should be able to grow in anything that is well maintained.  

40 minutes ago, iHexBot said:

What does WaterBox have to offer that differs from Red Sea? At first glance, WaterBox seems like a straight clone of RedSea at the same price. 🤔

A few models that I have looked into/compared personally, between waterbox and RSR, have different dimensions (height and depth) for the same tank viewing front pane length.  They both got wonky numbering system, making it hard to compare them.  I believe both brands count the sump volume, RSR using liter unit and waterbox still shows gallons.   

Waterbox also offer the shallow frag series, if you're into super shallow setup. 

• 3 weeks later...