SaltCritters.com

Shots from around the tank.

3rd image is of a rock flower nem, that found a perfect spot, just out of photo range. Silly coral.

My clean up crew came from @johnmaloney

Last pic is a full tank shot.

20190308_105835.jpg

20190308_105811.jpg

20190308_105859.jpg

20190308_105806.jpg

20190308_145413.jpg

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, JBM said:

Shots from around the tank.

3rd image is of a rock flower nem, that found a perfect spot, just out of photo range. Silly coral.

My clean up crew came from @johnmaloney

Last pic is a full tank shot.

20190308_105835.jpg

20190308_105811.jpg

20190308_105859.jpg

20190308_105806.jpg

20190308_145413.jpg

Everything is looking nice. 😊

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JBM said:

Its amazing what a small cuc can do in less than 24 hours.

I’m always surprised by how much a team of teeny tiny hermits can clear together.  

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m always surprised by how much a team of teeny tiny hermits can clear together.  

The ones I got out of The Chesapeake are ravenous for algae. They're not much on other stuff, but they maul algae, even dinos.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The ones I got out of The Chesapeake are ravenous for algae. They're not much on other stuff, but they maul algae, even dinos.

Agreed. There are ceriths and nazzarius snails indigenous to the shores of long island. Once its warmer, I will be harvesting a bunch. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

happy willy wonka and the chocolate factory GIF

Glad to see everything is going so smoothly so far! I am once again reminded I need to order my cleanup crew from Reef Cleaners. We’re you doing weekly water changes before in the 20 gallon, or are you just being cautious with the new system?

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

@Christopher Marks

I went from 3 small fish, to 7. The majority of them large in size. The skimmer and water changes are more of a precaution then a habbit. Im still learning how this system reacts, and dialing in the necessary husbandry.

Happy tank is happy. Now to just make it easier for me. I still need a ato, and I want a skimmate collection container.

Did some measuring, looks like i have 4 3/4" between the front of the sump and the stand. Just enough room for a 4" clear pvc tube. A 12" tall 4" diameter tube will hold 1 gallon of skimmate. 

But, its not that simple. Why would it be? The skimmer waste line sits 1/2" bellow the top of my sump. Last time i checked, fluids dont defy gravity. So for a collection cup to work, ill have to drill my sump. Much pondering and tinkering ahead.

20190319_102109.jpg

26 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Skinny but pretty! Hopefully she does well. 😊

Shes eating like its going out of style. I have nori in 2" by 8" sheets. I usually feed (2) 2x2 squares a day. She ate one all to herself. So im gonna have to up my nori feedings 

Since adding her, she has been chomping on the pods and mowing down algae growths. I am hopeful.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Just watch the phosphates feeding all that Nori.

Good point. Didnt think of that. Learn me something new everyday

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
3 hours ago, JBM said:

Good point. Didnt think of that. Learn me something new everyday

Another thing with Regal tangs, they're mainly planktivores so some mysis are in order as well. Those guys are treated horribly in the supply chain. They can be starved for up to 2 weeks.

We learned the hard way about nori. You have to think that it uses phosphates to grow, when you feed it, they will be released back into the water column.

If your tang doesn't start picking up weight, you're going to have to give it a few rounds of Prazi for internal parasites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully it eats everything ive thrown at it. So far it eats prime reef flakes, new life spectrum pellets, nori, and mysis.

I can already see a buldging belly. But, seachem garlic guard is on its way. I have prazi already.

• Like 1

Havent done a water change since March 13th. With feeding everyday sometimes 2-3 times a day. Thats 16 days. Current parameters:

Temp 80.0

Sg 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrates <5ppm (but not 0)

Po4 0.1ppm

Calcium 450+

Going to continue to push the envelope till nitrates rise to 10ppm

Bubble magus continues to pull nasty nasty almost black skimmate out. 

Tank has been running for 2 months. I have not noticed any growth in my macro algae. None. This makes me sad