Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Urchin for a Biocube 32?

antigonus

I quite want to get a sea urchin for my Biocube 32, but want to make sure I have enough space. I've been looking at the blue tuxedo urchin, do people think one would be happy in a tank this size? If not, what other species are relatively small and somewhat beginner friendly?                                            For the record, here's what I have stocked so far: Two cerith snails, three trochus snails, one nassarius snail, two blue legged hermit crabs, three scarlet hermit crabs, one emerald crab, two peppermint shrimp, and one royal Gramma. 

Blue tuxedo is fine in just about any tank as long as it has enough algae to eat. You can supplement with algae sheets if you don't have enough growing on your rocks - same for most inverts.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

Blue tuxedo is fine in just about any tank as long as it has enough algae to eat. You can supplement with algae sheets if you don't have enough growing on your rocks - same for most inverts.

I have quite a bit of green hair algae, but I could certainly supplement if it runs out. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Halloween, Pincushion, Tuxedo are all good citizens and relatively small. If you have algae that they can graze on, then I don’t see why not. Urchins are workaholics 24/7/365. 

• Thanks 1

Won't eat bryopsis though.

Tuxedo urchins are hilarious critters though. They're constantly moving and picking up different crap to put on their anus end and hide under. Don't be surprised if it picks up a frag or a snail and takes it for a ride for the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Halloween, Pincushion, Tuxedo are all good citizens and relatively small. If you have algae that they can graze on, then I don’t see why not. Urchins are workaholics 24/7/365. 

Thanks, good to know.

Greetings and salutations from a fellow biocube 32 reefer. I have a blue tuxedo in mine, and he/she/it is one of my favorite inverts. Always on the move and working. I did find it one morning with a helpless hermit crab taken for a ride, so that’s was funny to see. It eats coraline plus anything the snails would get at. Highly recommended and entertaining too!

45798692-967A-4D6D-A4C7-C73FD1E8AD5F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a pencil in my 28 bio. Had a long spine at one point. Bad idea. Was always sticking myself on him when working in the tank the pencil has been just fine 

• Like 1
On 1/25/2019 at 5:33 AM, OPtasia said:

Won't eat bryopsis though.

Tuxedo urchins are hilarious critters though. They're constantly moving and picking up different crap to put on their anus end and hide under. Don't be surprised if it picks up a frag or a snail and takes it for a ride for the day.

Mine picked up my halloween hermit once. The crab had a free commute around the tank lol.😄

Tuxedos are great. But they can and will eat your coralline algae and macro too. I supplement mine Nori once a week. It's been going strong for a year now. Halloween urchins are also nice and come in a variety of colors. 😀

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine picked up my halloween hermit once. The crab had a free commute around the tank lol.😄

Tuxedos are great. But they can and will eat your coralline algae and macro too. I supplement mine Nori once a week. It's been going strong for a year now. Halloween urchins are also nice and come in a variety of colors. 😀

I just purchased a pink pincushion urchin and it does the same exact thing with my hermit crabs! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, flash389 said:

Greetings and salutations from a fellow biocube 32 reefer. I have a blue tuxedo in mine, and he/she/it is one of my favorite inverts. Always on the move and working. I did find it one morning with a helpless hermit crab taken for a ride, so that’s was funny to see. It eats coraline plus anything the snails would get at. Highly recommended and entertaining too!

45798692-967A-4D6D-A4C7-C73FD1E8AD5F.jpeg

Super cool! I just got my first urchin, a pink pincushion and I love it. 

I really enjoy my Red Tuxedo Urchin, it is my wife's favorite thing in the tank.  However, does not eat my GHA, I know right!.  Blows right by it and living off of my coralline algae.  Little due is fun to watch and always has something funny on his head or trying to pull around a large frag and wearing snails.  

if anyone has ideas on how to encourage my urchin to each GHA, PLEASE advice!

Reeferdave1960
On 1/24/2019 at 3:56 PM, antigonus said:

I quite want to get a sea urchin for my Biocube 32, but want to make sure I have enough space. I've been looking at the blue tuxedo urchin, do people think one would be happy in a tank this size? If not, what other species are relatively small and somewhat beginner friendly?                                            For the record, here's what I have stocked so far: Two cerith snails, three trochus snails, one nassarius snail, two blue legged hermit crabs, three scarlet hermit crabs, one emerald crab, two peppermint shrimp, and one royal Gramma. 

I had a blue tuxedo urchin in my 32 Biocube, it was great! he would decorate himself with all kinds of things. Somewhere I have a picture with him with a shrimp molt on top! I had a pin cushion as well but that little bugger was always knocking stuff over.