Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Help: When do I 'pull the plug'?

ServingAces15

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Clown79 said:

It's always that way. You buy something and are broke when all the reef stuff you want drops on price!

Right!!! I literally bought the laptop this morning and this afternoon I saw the ad 🙄.. oh well, there is always next week lol

• Haha 2

Mine pretty much all stay on one rock where I put them, if they try to move I put them back and give them a stern talking to. They give up and stay put after that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Mine pretty much all stay on one rock where I put them, if they try to move I put them back and give them a stern talking to. They give up and stay put after that. 

Mine did too, then I switched my light. 

Maybe i should have a talk with them. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mine did too, then I switched my light. 

Maybe i should have a talk with them. Lol

I tend to talk to all my animals... there isn't anything wrong with that right??😁

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I tend to talk to all my animals... there isn't anything wrong with that right??😁

I don't think so, my cats have gotten used to my chatting with them😀

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I don't think so, my cats have gotten used to my chatting with them😀

I talk to my snake when I get home from work. I talk to him like I would my dog..he can't even hear me lol

• Haha 1
ServingAces15

Well all, I experienced an ammonia spike and ended up losing the RFA. My other 2 are acting up as well but since I figured out the problem, I'm hoping I can save them both.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
ServingAces15

Update: I ended up losing a second RFA but ammonia is finally down and the remaining one is looking much happier. I dosed with prime to neutralize what was present (It was at 2.0ppm....YIKES) and performed a 45% water change, which brought it down to .50ppm. I've monitored pH levels the last 24 hours because I know with larger water changes they tend to swing and am now doing a second water change to bring the ammonia down further. Through it all everyone is looking much happier now and I'm bummed I lost 2 RFA but I love this hobby, even in the not so great times.

IMG_8956.jpeg

• Sad 3
ServingAces15
On 1/31/2019 at 6:08 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh no, how any idea why you had a spike??

Not sure. Could have been too much too fast. Granted it was just coral and some snails and a crab but it’s a 4g tank. One of the snails died as well and I didn’t see him so it’s possible that kick started the spike. The first time I fed the tank my baster spilled more than I wanted it to into the tank, which could have also started the spike. Fortunately everything is under control now and everyone that survived is once again happy and healthy.

• Like 1
ServingAces15

As if things couldn’t get worse, my hi-fin banded goby committed tank escape suicide last night. I love this hobby and the challenge of small tanks but man this is one rough start to my pico.

• Sad 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
49 minutes ago, ServingAces15 said:

As if things couldn’t get worse, my hi-fin banded goby committed tank escape suicide last night. I love this hobby and the challenge of small tanks but man this is one rough start to my pico.

Oh no sorry to hear, keep your head up and I hope it gets better for you.

3 hours ago, ServingAces15 said:

Oh no . I lost my hi-fin the same way - after 6 months happy with his pistol shrimp, woke one morning to find him dried up on top of the custom acrylic top. There was one 1/2 hole with a cord through it and he must have aimed for that. I really want one for my 10 gallon, but will have to see if I can get a top that won't let one out. 

Don't give up - it will get better!

ServingAces15
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh no sorry to hear, keep your head up and I hope it gets better for you.

Thank you! I’m hoping to get another one eventually. For now I’m focusing on stabilizing the tank.

20 minutes ago, Newstead said:

Oh no . I lost my hi-fin the same way - after 6 months happy with his pistol shrimp, woke one morning to find him dried up on top of the custom acrylic top. There was one 1/2 hole with a cord through it and he must have aimed for that. I really want one for my 10 gallon, but will have to see if I can get a top that won't let one out. 

Don't give up - it will get better!

Dang! I am sorry to hear that. I suppose if they want to jump, they’re going to jump. They are such a fun goby to have and perfect for small tanks. Gobies in general are one of my favorites. I have a YCG in my nano and he is the life of the party in that tank.

• Like 2
On 1/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, ServingAces15 said:

Nitrate: <10ppm

Phosphates: <5ppm

You need to determine if these are actually zero or near-zero (I'm guessing the answer is yes, they are zero).....anemone's tend to be phosphate pigs.   

This would be especially true if one of them were injured...meaning that light-acclimation wasn't his ONLY demand for phosphates, but also for repair.

If you even suspect they are zero, it would be worth dosing the tank with 0.03 ppm of phosphates (which is almost nothing) using something like Brightwell's or Seachem's phosphate products.   5 ppm or more would be a good complimentary level of nitrates as well.