inTank Media Baskets

Canadian Reefer 350 Build & Journey

Cutter79

Last weekend when I noticed some hair algae starting to grow from the sand I went crazy overboard. I bought and installed a second reactor and ran phosban in 1 and reefspec carbon in the other. I also dosed 18ml of NOPOX over 2 days and made a refugium with chateo. I am pretty sure this was over kill as now over the last 4 or 5 days my monticaps are losing color fast?! I turned off the reactors yesterday and will turn off the skimmer when I get home. Is it recommended to do a water change or just try and get nutrients back into the water by over feeding? Thank you. The Monti was looking so good and was full of color before I made these changes. The balance between beautiful coral color and algae seems to be a very fine line!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ugggh, o.k. Second outbreak of ick. So much for trusting my lfs to quarantine my fish properly or maybe the ick never left my tank totally to begin with. Set up a hospital tank and have caught  all my fish except the diamond goby and the scooter blenny. After catching them I will be doing a 76 day fallow period in the display tank. I am a little concerned about the goby and blenny living 76 days in a bare bottom quarantine tank. I still have my 6 gal fluval edge tank that I was thinking about setting up for them. I was planning on buying some live sand for the nano tank and transferring some pond matrix from my main tank but I dont want to take the chance of transferring any ick from the main tank as this may cause a revolving ick issue. So I will risk the goby and blenny in the quarantine tank  for 30 days with copper while cycling the nano and hopefully they survive. I will post some picture of the hospital tank and nano tank set ups for anyone who is following. Also have a few coral that have been added since my last pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the experts. So I am now 14 days into my fallow period. Why are my nitrates rising? Starting to see traces of hair algae. I am still doing my regular water changes and only feeding the tank normal dose of reef energy. I understand that the angel and tangs would control the hair algae when they where in the tank but I can understand why my NO3 has climbed from a steady 10ppm to +25. I have increased the time on the fuge light and doing a 20% water change right now. If that doesnt work carbon dose? Also none of the fish died or where lost in the DT so its not coming from dead fish or feeding. So confused. PO4 is steady at 0.02.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, Cutter79 said:

Question for the experts. So I am now 14 days into my fallow period. Why are my nitrates rising? Starting to see traces of hair algae. I am still doing my regular water changes and only feeding the tank normal dose of reef energy. I understand that the angel and tangs would control the hair algae when they where in the tank but I can understand why my NO3 has climbed from a steady 10ppm to +25. I have increased the time on the fuge light and doing a 20% water change right now. If that doesnt work carbon dose? Also none of the fish died or where lost in the DT so its not coming from dead fish or feeding. So confused. PO4 is steady at 0.02.

do you vacuum your sandbed when you do water change?  or vacuum your sump?  a lot of waste can build up in those areas. 

Just now, ninjamyst said:

do you vacuum your sandbed when you do water change?  or vacuum your sump?  a lot of waste can build up in those areas. 

Yes I do. There was a thread about this on askbrstv Facebook page. Multiple people experience this and most figure with no fish or regular feeding some of the beneficial bacteria dies off. So I removed the fuge and kept up with weekly reefroids and reef energy and my no3po4 is back to normal.

• Like 1