ReefCleaners.org

What is this coral?

ReeferReed

New to the salt water tank scene. Got this live rock a weekish ago and I’m pretty sure it’s a frag that was already on the rock. It’s grown pretty fast in a week and a half. What is this? 

1DE7176A-F5A4-4498-A382-88E75D227973.jpeg

E687A331-07E9-4D0F-8399-6A31E37C3AA4.jpeg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, kristinreed3 said:

New to the salt water tank scene. Got this live rock a weekish ago and I’m pretty sure it’s a frag that was already on the rock. It’s grown pretty fast in a week and a half. What is this? 

1DE7176A-F5A4-4498-A382-88E75D227973.jpeg

E687A331-07E9-4D0F-8399-6A31E37C3AA4.jpeg

Green star polyps.  Be careful it can be a weed. 

• Thanks 1

At night (when the lights first go out), it will likely close and become just a purple mat. You can peel the mat with your hand and re-glue it to a piece of rock that is on it's own in the tank. 

That way you can enjoy it and know that it won't spread everywhere.

I like the bright neon green colour of this coral, especially under the blue lights. And it sways back and forth so nicely with the flow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
starkschicken
4 minutes ago, paulsz said:

At night (when the lights first go out), it will likely close and become just a purple mat. You can peel the mat with your hand and re-glue it to a piece of rock that is on it's own in the tank. 

That way you can enjoy it and know that it won't spread everywhere.

I like the bright neon green colour of this coral, especially under the blue lights. And it sways back and forth so nicely with the flow. 

The more flow it gets the faster it is going to spread.  You can really hammer these guys and they love it.

• Like 1