Top Shelf Aquatics

Hi everyone!

Salty_Chef86

Hey everyone, new here, and fairly new to the hobby. I had a 10g FOWLR a few years ago that ran pretty smoothly for about 6 months, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to tear it down, and have been unable to see anything up since.... Until now! Currently cycling my 10g nano. Please excuse my cycle shrimp.... I've got 10lbs live sand, 6.5lbs LR, 6.5lbs dry rock. Currently running the HOB filter that came with the tank, as well as the lights. Planning on upgrading the lights before any livestock is added, as I would like to add coral down the line. Also will be adding a small HOB refugium made out of a breeder box in the next few days with some sand, rock rubble and some macro algae. Will also be picking up a small powerhead to get some more flow going. Shrimp has been in for 3 days and has some good fuzz going on already

On the LR, there is a decent size bivalve that I thought was part of the rock, but has since opened up a bit and I have seen it move, not sure what type. I also have a hitchiker shrimp  that I have only seen pop its eyes and arms out that I cannot remove to ID. It lives in a hole right under the bivalve. Looking at the eyes and arms, I am worried it may be a small mantis shrimp. You can just barely see it in the last picture... Any tips on how to get it out? I tried to lure it out with a piece of the cycle shrimp, and it grabbed it real quick without coming all the way out.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and I am open to critique! 

Thanks!

15483542622141374528748494509334.jpg

15483543333442189107475745981406.jpg

15483543777338076386501201657560.jpg

1548354403634958350868463702654.jpg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Salty_Chef86 said:

Hey everyone, new here, and fairly new to the hobby. I had a 10g FOWLR a few years ago that ran pretty smoothly for about 6 months, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to tear it down, and have been unable to see anything up since.... Until now! Currently cycling my 10g nano. Please excuse my cycle shrimp.... I've got 10lbs live sand, 6.5lbs LR, 6.5lbs dry rock. Currently running the HOB filter that came with the tank, as well as the lights. Planning on upgrading the lights before any livestock is added, as I would like to add coral down the line. Also will be adding a small HOB refugium made out of a breeder box in the next few days with some sand, rock rubble and some macro algae. Will also be picking up a small powerhead to get some more flow going. Shrimp has been in for 3 days and has some good fuzz going on already

On the LR, there is a decent size bivalve that I thought was part of the rock, but has since opened up a bit and I have seen it move, not sure what type. I also have a hitchiker shrimp  that I have only seen pop its eyes and arms out that I cannot remove to ID. It lives in a hole right under the bivalve. Looking at the eyes and arms, I am worried it may be a small mantis shrimp. You can just barely see it in the last picture... Any tips on how to get it out? I tried to lure it out with a piece of the cycle shrimp, and it grabbed it real quick without coming all the way out.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and I am open to critique! 

Thanks!

15483542622141374528748494509334.jpg

15483543333442189107475745981406.jpg

15483543777338076386501201657560.jpg

1548354403634958350868463702654.jpg

Welcome to NR 🙂

and that definitely looks like mantis eyeballs lurking in that hole. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Welcome to nano.

I might be losing my sight...lol. can you circle where you are seeing the eyes.

Last picture. Right under the large bivalve in the center. Look in the shadows.  

C0B7C54F-642A-4EDB-B26C-F0CBA8456158.thumb.jpeg.c319c844d61396eb28f8189250b5e4df.jpeg

37 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Last picture. Right under the large bivalve in the center. Look in the shadows.  

C0B7C54F-642A-4EDB-B26C-F0CBA8456158.thumb.jpeg.c319c844d61396eb28f8189250b5e4df.jpeg

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

It does look like mantis eyes...very cool.

Using a bottle trap should work on it. Then bring it to a lfs or sell it

• Like 2

So as I said, I am looking to get different lighting. As space is limited, I dont see myself upgrading anytime soon, and if I did it would be 30g max. I was looking on Amazon and found this:

Fluval Sea Marine Nano Bluetooth LED (20 Watt) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWXBWB7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2INsCb9B9H67Q

From just skimming, it looks like it could be a pretty good little light for not too much money, then again, I dont know a whole lot about lighting... I know anything is better than the little LED strip that came with the tank, but thinking it could he a too good to be true situation..  thoughts?  

Thanks!

First question, that lookls like a mantis to me. When you get it out and we can try to identify it, if you have a enough space did you think about getting a second tank and keeping it? I used to have a 5.5 gallon that housed a G. falcatus. You don’t need much to keep them happy.  A bit of sand, some live rock rubble, small circulation pump and small heater. Currently I have another set up with a peacock mantis. Very interesting animals. 

As as for the fluval light, I don’t think they are too powerful. You may get away with some softies but not sure it will support any lps. What is your light budget? That one was about $80. If you are patient and look hard enough, you may be able to get a used AI prime HD for just a little more. 

Well space wise I dont really have anywhere for a real second tank, unless it could survive in something as small as a .5-1g beta tank. Or like I said I was going to set up a HOB mini fuge in a breeder box, if it could survive in there I could toss it in there. I definitely do not want to kill it, as it is not its fault it is there. I also thought about seeing if the Newport aquarium here may take it. I dont know if the LFS here near me will want it back, as this is where I got the LR from..

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Salty_Chef86 said:

Well space wise I dont really have anywhere for a real second tank, unless it could survive in something as small as a .5-1g beta tank. Or like I said I was going to set up a HOB mini fuge in a breeder box, if it could survive in there I could toss it in there. I definitely do not want to kill it, as it is not its fault it is there. I also thought about seeing if the Newport aquarium here may take it. I dont know if the LFS here near me will want it back, as this is where I got the LR from..

I think for most that might be too small. 5g would be the smallest.

As for lighting. Fluval has never had good reviews on their lights unless its fish only.

Lighting is a very expensive piece of this hobby because it's the most important in regards to keeping coral.

There are budget options that do work and have good reviews. These are good lights for lps and softies

Abi tuna blue par 38. 23 watts

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B073V5V5JP?th=1&psc=1

Plus gooseneck

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lighting-Holder-Socket-Gooseneck/dp/B015RK6FNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1548435791&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aquarium+gooseneck&dpPl=1&dpID=41RVqGHxaML&ref=plSrch

Hiperagero

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q

Mars aqua

https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium/dp/B017GWDF7E

This would need to be dimmed down but allows you to get a bigger tank in future as well as do sps

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I think for most that might be too small. 5g would be the smallest.

As for lighting. Fluval has never had good reviews on their lights unless its fish only.

Lighting is a very expensive piece of this hobby because it's the most important in regards to keeping coral.

There are budget options that do work and have good reviews. These are good lights for lps and softies

Abi tuna blue par 38. 23 watts

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B073V5V5JP?th=1&psc=1

Plus gooseneck

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lighting-Holder-Socket-Gooseneck/dp/B015RK6FNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1548435791&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aquarium+gooseneck&dpPl=1&dpID=41RVqGHxaML&ref=plSrch

Hiperagero

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q

Mars aqua

https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium/dp/B017GWDF7E

This would need to be dimmed down but allows you to get a bigger tank in future as well as do sps

Thanks for the input on the lights! For the money I might go with the Mars aqua for the ability to upgrade in the future.

So, I put the shrimp in on Monday to start my cycle, and was waiting on my test kit. Got it this morning, tested my water and I'm at or above 8ppm using the API ammonia test kit. Went to remove the shrimp, and while removing it, while I got the major piece out, the slime on the outside basically exploded. I think I have a long wait ahead of me before that clears up. Even with 10# live sand and 6.5# LR in the tank, i think it may be a while... if I do like a 50% water change, should that help? Or should I just wait it out?

12 minutes ago, Salty_Chef86 said:

So, I put the shrimp in to start my cycle, and was waiting on my test kit. Got it this morning, tested my water and I'm at or above 8ppm using the API ammonia test kit. Went to remove the shrimp, and while removing it, while I got the major piece out, the slime on the outside basically exploded. I think I have a long wait ahead of me before that clears up. Even with 10# live sand and 6.5# LR in the tank, i think it may be a while...

I cycled my first tank the same way. It won't take long to clear up if your speaking about the mess it made lol. It only took mine a couple days 🙂

18 minutes ago, DaveMc said:

I cycled my first tank the same way. It won't take long to clear up if your speaking about the mess it made lol. It only took mine a couple days 🙂

Well I've got a carbon bag in the filter right now so the cloudiness had cleared up already. I just meant for the ammonia to get back down to 0..

12 minutes ago, Salty_Chef86 said:

Well I've got a carbon bag in the filter right now so the cloudiness had cleared up already. I just meant for the ammonia to get back down to 0..

Ahhh, ok. Shouldn't take to long, mine took maybe a week but it was in the early stages of cycling and didn't have a good bacteria build up yet. For some reason my nitrates took longer to go down than the ammonia and nitrites.

The shrimp method is a dirty and uncontrolled method. Its why people use ammonia and bacteria dosing now with dry Rock.

Less nutrients, no smell, no mess, and controlled ammonia levels.

8ppm is high. Anything above 5ppm will take much longer to process, sometimes it stalls the cycle as well.

Ideally, you want 2ppm of ammonia. 

If it doesn't drop in a few days, doing a water change to reduce the levels will help

• Like 2

Thanks! Too late now, but now I know for next time. This was just the most common method I have seen pretty much everywhere I've read. I definitely like the idea of the more controlled method.

So I waited a few days and the ammonia was still off the charts. Did a 50% water change on Wed and let it settle for about 36 hours. Tested again this morning and it is between .5 and .25.. hopefully in the next day or 2 I will be on to the nitrate and nitrite cycles!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So everything has leveled out and I have added my cuc. They have been for about a week. 3 small blue leg hermits, an emerald crab, 1 turbo and 2 astrea snails. I went to the pet store today to grab some tubing and a mag float, and they were having a dollar per gallon sale and I picked up a 20g that just barely fits where my current tank is..(only reason I went with the 10 was the space available and the price for heater and filter included). I know I will have to upgrade the filter (it only moves 60gph), and I have a circulation pump moving 120gph right now, but it can be converted to a powerhead that moves 500gph so I should be good there. My question is if I move everything from the 10 to the 20 and fill out the scape with dry rock and sand, do I run the risk of a full cycle again? I currently have 10lbs of live sand, 13lbs of rock (6.5 live and 6.5 dry) and the dry has some specs of coraline starting to grow. The tank also has had a diatom bloom, and a small amount of green hair algae, but the cuc is taking care of it nicely..

15498241663593510577361078883861.jpg

15498242039515300959060336896962.jpg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Just over 2 weeks and your going to double your tank size. I love it.

Thanks! I know a 10 is too small for just about anything but based on the circumstances and space I was confined to that. Just happened to notice the tank and that it fits with an inch to spare on each side, and since 3 of the 4 sides are open, I can put the filter on the side and it will work out well I think..

• Like 1

So I am in the process of moving everything from the 10g to the 20g. I managed to catch the mantis shrimp! I contacted my LFS and they said they would take it back. Attaching a photo for positive ID..

20190214_195805.jpg

20190214_195835.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Salty_Chef86 said:

So I am in the process of moving everything from the 10g to the 20g. I managed to catch the mantis shrimp! I contacted my LFS and they said they would take it back. Attaching a photo for positive ID..

20190214_195805.jpg

20190214_195835.jpg

Aw, he's cute. Had we lived nearby each other, I'd take him off you.

Finished filling at 5:30am this morning. Went to bed and it cleared up quite a bit. Woke up this morning, acclimated the cuc to the water ( just a precaution as I used all of the water, sand, and rock from the 10g and added another ~10g of water I had mixing, heating and circulating since last Wed.) Ammonia had spiked up to a .25ppm this morning due to having the live rock I had out of water a little longer than I would have liked.. nitrates and nitrites are still at 0. I'm loving my new scape. Not exactly how I wanted it, but I didn't want to use an excess of glue and epoxy, so everything except 1 piece is stacked. Still came out looking great to me. Lots of room front, back, and sides and some cool little cave structures. And I was able to pull off the arch I wanted!

20190215_134214.jpg

20190215_134203.jpg

• Like 2