Coral Vue Hydros

New Nano Reef

Abhijit

I got a peppermint about a month ago, and it's been a pretty good citizen. The only downside so far is that it tries to steal food from the corals. Now I just net it before I do that. It's quite active and bold. Takes food from my hand and even hops on and cleans my hand. It's molted a few times already. I think I got one of the good ones.

2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Fire Shrimp is another one you can look into. They're pricey but beautiful. I've never owned a peppermint but they seem to be a hit or miss in reefs. Apparently they go after corals like zoas and acans when they get the munchies. 

@Snow_Phoenix The reason why I got into saltwater tanks is for the corals. There's no way I'm gonna compromise the health and wellbeing of my corals for some shrimp. Corals get priority. No peppermint shrimp for me!! 😬

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Firefish15 said:

I got a peppermint about a month ago, and it's been a pretty good citizen. The only downside so far is that it tries to steal food from the corals. Now I just net it before I do that. It's quite active and bold. Takes food from my hand and even hops on and cleans my hand. It's molted a few times already. I think I got one of the good ones.

@Firefish15 Damn, I love such creatures, such bold personalities. But no, like I said, i absolutely love corals and I won't do anything to bring harm to them. I'm gonna stick to cleaner Shrimps whenever I get them. 

• Like 2

Haha, I understand. I would have gotten a cleaner shrimp instead, but the LFS didn't have any at the time. And they were 3-4x the price. As it is though, my little peppermint is growing on me.

• Like 2
On 3/22/2019 at 11:47 PM, Firefish15 said:

Haha, I understand. I would have gotten a cleaner shrimp instead, but the LFS didn't have any at the time. And they were 3-4x the price. As it is though, my little peppermint is growing on me.

@seabass Checked my parameters today. Looks okay, except Nitrates are high (15ppm or so) . I did a 30% WC just 3 days back. 

What do I do? 

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190326110428273_COVER.jpg

28 minutes ago, Abhijit said:

@seabass Checked my parameters today. Looks okay, except Nitrates are high (15ppm or so) . I did a 30% WC just 3 days back. 

What do I do? 

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190326110428273_COVER.jpg

Like Seabass mentioned, if the water you are using has high nitrates and phos, water changes will not lower the levels in the tank much because you are replacing the exported nutrients with water that has nutrients in it.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Like Seabass mentioned, if the water you are using has high nitrates and phos, water changes will not lower the levels in the tank much because you are replacing the exported nutrients with water that has nutrients in it.

@Clown79 So what do I do not? Do I add Seachem De*Nitrate to my filter? Will that help?

Yes, please test a batch of new saltwater.  Another option is the tank is still breaking down organics (either left on the rocks, or from leftover food).  I'm not necessarily telling you to cut back feedings, but make sure there are no leftovers.  Also try to remove detritus from the rocks during maintenance.

Also, remember that a 30% water change can only lower nitrate 30%.  So if nitrate was 25ppm prior to a 30% water change, the result (if your new water has 0ppm of nitrate) would be 17.5ppm.  Both 25ppm and 17.5ppm would look pretty similar on your test kit.

So test a new batch of water, and then do more water changes.  If your new water tests positive for nitrate, try switching to distilled water.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Yes, please test a batch of new saltwater.  Another option is the tank is still breaking down organics (either left on the rocks, or from leftover food).  I'm not necessarily telling you to cut back feedings, but make sure there are no leftovers.  Also try to remove detritus from the rocks during maintenance.

Also, remember that a 30% water change can only lower nitrate 30%.  So if nitrate was 25ppm prior to a 30% water change, the result (if your new water has 0ppm of nitrate) would be 17.5ppm.  Both 25ppm and 17.5ppm would look pretty similar on your test kit.

So test a new batch of water, and then do more water changes.  If your new water tests positive for nitrate, try switching to distilled water.

@seabass I'm planning to change my salt. I'm using Seachem Salinity, but that's almost over. Planning to switch to Aquaforest Reef. Heard good things about it 

One other development - Goofy has suddenly disappeared since morning. I didn't see him at all today. So I got the rocks out and check if he has dug a tunnel and is hiding. Nope! Also checked whether he managed to jump out of the water. Nope! I can't seem to find him anywhere. Weird!! 

3 hours ago, Abhijit said:

@seabass I'm planning to change my salt. I'm using Seachem Salinity, but that's almost over. Planning to switch to Aquaforest Reef. Heard good things about it 

One other development - Goofy has suddenly disappeared since morning. I didn't see him at all today. So I got the rocks out and check if he has dug a tunnel and is hiding. Nope! Also checked whether he managed to jump out of the water. Nope! I can't seem to find him anywhere. Weird!! 

@seabass Found him! The bigger jumped out. Are gobies known to jump? I better get a lid on my tank before I put anything else in. 

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Abhijit said:

@seabass Found him! The bigger jumped out. Are gobies known to jump? I better get a lid on my tank before I put anything else in. 

All fish can jump, gobies and blennies are known for it.

You need to test your water before mixing it with salt before being able to determine how to lower nitrate.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

All fish can jump, gobies and blennies are known for it.

You need to test your water before mixing it with salt before being able to determine how to lower nitrate.

I don't have a freshwater test kit. Just have the saltwater one at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Check the paperwork or each bottle because it's most likely the same product. Bottles look identical

You're right. The bottles are exactly the same. It's weird though, how API sells it as 2 different products. 

Anyway, I'll check my water today. Do I only check Nitrates or ammonia and Nitrites as well?

5 minutes ago, Abhijit said:

You're right. The bottles are exactly the same. It's weird though, how API sells it as 2 different products. 

Anyway, I'll check my water today. Do I only check Nitrates or ammonia and Nitrites as well?

If you buy the testers individually, the say marine and fresh on it.

Not sure why they even sell the kits separately for each, I assume a marketing method.

No you only need to test nitrate

52 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you buy the testers individually, the say marine and fresh on it.

Not sure why they even sell the kits separately for each, I assume a marketing method.

No you only need to test nitrate

So I just test the water I put in my tank right? Without the salt added to it, correct?

You can, but you can see by the color chart pic that I posted, that freshwater will react different than saltwater.  It would, however, tell you if nitrate is present.  The resolution (of this particular test) is actually better when testing freshwater.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

You can, but you can see by the color chart pic that I posted, that freshwater will react different than saltwater.  It would, however, tell you if nitrate is present.  The resolution (of this particular test) is actually better when testing freshwater.

@seabass @Clown79 Okay, so looks like my water is messed up!! 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190327145855901_COVER.jpg