Abhijit

New Nano Reef

3 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

One solution for the GSP is to have it isolated on its own rock in the sandbed. That way, you can cut any tendrils looking for a way off the rock. They can overgrow docile corals if given the chance.

Smaller, more frequent water changes are better in terms of stability in water parameters. It is more work though, so you'll want to work out a routine that lets you do it easily.

@Firefish15, Gotcha! That's good advise, thanks much!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Abhijit said:

@Firefish15 @Clown79 - Finally set it up!! Woohoo!! 

Here are a few pictures 

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190217214126848.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190217214111625_COVER.jpg

Looking good. Can't wait to see the corals you choose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Looking good. Can't wait to see the corals you choose.

@Clown79, it's mostly going to be soft corals, since everything else is illegal. Hopefully I'll be able to get some great frags!

57 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Haha, it's an exciting feeling isn't it? :happydance:

@Firefish15, ohhh! You bet! I can't wait for it to cycle. My first marine reef, its just so amazing. At the moment, I'm just very happy looking at the tank, even if there's nothing in there!! Hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That looks pretty typical for a few days in. At this point, you just have to do water changes pretty frequently and let the bacteria do their work. If the tank gets a bad odor, do another water change. Especially since yours in on your nightstand. Keep the wife happy. :lol: Just don't add any livestock until the ammonia and nitrite are at 0. 

3 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

That looks pretty typical for a few days in. At this point, you just have to do water changes pretty frequently and let the bacteria do their work. If the tank gets a bad odor, do another water change. Especially since yours in on your nightstand. Keep the wife happy. :lol: Just don't add any livestock until the ammonia and nitrite are at 0. 

@Firefish15, yep! I will do 30% weekly water change and then measure my parameters again in a couple of days. The tank doesn't stink yet, so no issues there! 😬

Did a 50% WC. Also got my new lights. I'm using LuminiGrow Asta20. Trust should be adequate. 

Here's how the tank looks now.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190219184152985.jpg

• Like 2

ahhh its an ADA tank... i love ADA tanks... i have a 90p setup iwagumi style.  

Careful with that low iron glass and sand.

It scratchs REALLY REALLY easily, as i have scratched my low iron glass tank because of the sand... i honestly didnt think it would scratch that easily.  😞

So again be super careful, sand is nothing like aquasoil your probably used to since ADA tanks are mostly seen in Iwagumi style setups.  

8 hours ago, Naekuh said:

ahhh its an ADA tank... i love ADA tanks... i have a 90p setup iwagumi style.  

Careful with that low iron glass and sand.

It scratchs REALLY REALLY easily, as i have scratched my low iron glass tank because of the sand... i honestly didnt think it would scratch that easily.  😞

So again be super careful, sand is nothing like aquasoil your probably used to since ADA tanks are mostly seen in Iwagumi style setups.  

@NaekuhOh! I didn't know that! I love ADA tanks too. I think ADA is probably the designer label in tanks, if there was ever one. 😬

6 hours ago, Abhijit said:

@NaekuhOh! I didn't know that! I love ADA tanks too. I think ADA is probably the designer label in tanks, if there was ever one. 😬

They are the Bugatti's of fishtanks 😄

I was even considering using that 45-C you got there as my reef, but i got a hell of a deal on a Aquatop predrilled with sump. 

I am using a ADA Mini-M as my ATO topoff tank. Which my brother finds extremely wasteful, but it was just sitting there not in use.  

Anyhow just another friendly reminder to make absolutely sure you do not get sand on a magnetic scrapper, or scrubbing pad when you clean that algae off the glass.

Its not even a will i scratch it, its a definite you will scratch it, and ruin that beautiful tank.  

7 hours ago, Naekuh said:

They are the Bugatti's of fishtanks 😄

I was even considering using that 45-C you got there as my reef, but i got a hell of a deal on a Aquatop predrilled with sump. 

I am using a ADA Mini-M as my ATO topoff tank. Which my brother finds extremely wasteful, but it was just sitting there not in use.  

Anyhow just another friendly reminder to make absolutely sure you do not get sand on a magnetic scrapper, or scrubbing pad when you clean that algae off the glass.

Its not even a will i scratch it, its a definite you will scratch it, and ruin that beautiful tank.  

I'll definitely remember that! 😊

@dling @Firefish15 @Naekuh

Guys, here are my day#7 parameters. What the heck is going on? Why is my ammonia and nitrite so low? Is this normal? I did a 50% WC yesterday. Did I screw it up? Salinity is at 1.025.

What do I do at this point? Do I add more ammonia? I add tetra bits as ammonia since it's a fishless cycle. 

Damn, I'm borderline freaking out!! It's my first reef and I don't want to screw it up 😐

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190223112413181_COVER.jpg

Im pretty sure cycling a freshwater and salt water is going to be similar, so my guess is you might of messed it up by the water change too early and too much of it at 50%. 

Typically your supposed to let it go without the water change, and then change the water when you get those values as you have the sufficient bacteria to handle the load. 

The water change basically got rid of the ammonia, and skewed your cycle. 

If im reading your thread correctly, you started last week. 

You should let the tank run without water change for at least 3-4 weeks.  

How did you start your cycle also? did you use the raw shrimp method? or ammonia drops?  

Firefish recommended you do weekly water change but this is completely new to me when your doing a cycle. 

As i said your trying to build bacteria, and you want the high ammonia concentration at start.  

Maybe a more experienced reefer can give you insights, i would ask Clown79, he seems like he knows his stuff pretty well, but again, if this was a freshwater tank, what i would do is restart the cycle by going either the raw shrimp in the tank for 2-3 days, or doing the ammonia drops.  (fishless cycle) Unless you used live rock and live sand.  If you used live rock and live sand, you can only do the waiting game now. 

This guy is the ammonia drops:

https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550903689&sr=8-4&keywords=ammonia+drops+for+fish+tank

And this time let it run without a water change for at least 3 weeks. 

You should see a spike in ammonia, and then it will slowly go down, and once it hits 0.25 you can do your first water change, about 10-15% max, and then add fish when you see it hit 0. 

IF the tank does smell, you can use carbon... as it wont abosrb ammonia, but i would not leave it in too long... about 2-3 days tops, and then pull it out. 

Carbon will act as a biological media if left too long, and you do not want bacteria growing on your carbon vs your live rocks and sand. 

It will polish the water and clean the smell a bit tho, but it can also extend the time required for cycling.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Naekuh said:

Im pretty sure cycling a freshwater and salt water is going to be similar, so my guess is you might of messed it up by the water change too early and too much of it at 50%. 

Typically your supposed to let it go without the water change, and then change the water when you get those values as you have the sufficient bacteria to handle the load. 

The water change basically got rid of the ammonia, and skewed your cycle. 

If im reading your thread correctly, you started last week. 

You should let the tank run without water change for at least 3-4 weeks.  

How did you start your cycle also? did you use the raw shrimp method? or ammonia drops?  

Firefish recommended you do weekly water change but this is completely new to me when your doing a cycle. 

As i said your trying to build bacteria, and you want the high ammonia concentration at start.  

Maybe a more experienced reefer can give you insights, but again, if this was a freshwater tank, what i would do is restart the cycle by going either the raw shrimp in the tank for 2-3 days, or doing the ammonia drops.  (fishless cycle)

This guy is the ammonia drops:

https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550903689&sr=8-4&keywords=ammonia+drops+for+fish+tank

And this time let it run without a water change for at least 3 weeks. 

You should see a spike in ammonia, and then it will slowly go down, and once it hits 0.25 you can do your first water change, about 10-15% max, and then add fish when you see it hit 0. 

@Naekuh, I setup my tank on Sunday, Feb 17th and started the cycle immediately by adding tetra bits. I tested on Tuesday, Feb 19th and the parameters looked okay, you can scroll up and check my parameters. 

Then I did a 50% WC on Friday, Feb 22nd and checked my parameters today, i.e. Saturday, Feb 23rd. 

I am adding Seachem stability in the recommended doses everyday since I setup my tank. I'm also adding Seachem Prime every alternate day & Purple Up everyday. I'm assuming Purple Up won't impact my parameters, since it's basically calcium and alk and it's just to basically boost coraline algae. 

I suppressed an urge to add Seachem Purigen yesterday, since a couple of forums suggested it will mess my cycle. 

Should I add a small raw shrimp today? And then quit doing WC? Should I continue dosing stability, prime and purple up? 

Can you tag someone who might have a concrete answer and can guide me properly? 

Ask Clown79.... ive been following his posts and he seems pretty knowledgeable from the people who have posted in your thread. 

I am fairly sure the 50% water change is what dropped your values too quickly and might of skewed your cycle. I have never heard of a tank being able to cycle that fast unless its using a lot of live rock + live sand + a pre seeded biological matrix like marinepure / seachem matrix. 

Since u have no live stock, it wont hurt restarting your cycle, and you only lost a week at most.  

And yes do not use purigen. I have a lot of experience with purigen, its great stuff for keeping your water clean by removing nitrogenous waste, so it will tear up your cycle.  

As i said if it smells bad, you can use carbon, it wont hurt your cycle much, but dont leave it in too long.  

21 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

Ask Clown79.... ive been following his posts and he seems pretty knowledgeable from the people who have posted in your thread. 

I am fairly sure the 50% water change is what dropped your values too quickly and might of skewed your cycle. I have never heard of a tank being able to cycle that fast unless its using a lot of live rock + live sand + a pre seeded biological matrix like marinepure / seachem matrix. 

Since u have no live stock, it wont hurt restarting your cycle, and you only lost a week at most.  

And yes do not use purigen. I have a lot of experience with purigen, its great stuff for keeping your water clean by removing nitrogenous waste, so it will tear up your cycle.  

As i said if it smells bad, you can use carbon, it wont hurt your cycle much, but dont leave it in too long.  

Sure, I'm tagging @Clown79. Hopefully he'll respond. 

I did use live rock (it had traces of Coralinr when I bought it), live sand (or so the seller claimed) and stability. 

Live rock and live sand is a grey area here in India. Some people say it's illegal, some say it's not. I tried finding material on what's legal exactly, but I didn't find anything that was official, just banter on the forums. 

I'll wait for Clown79 to pitch in. 

Thanks much! You've been a great help! Appreciate it 😊

dont restart your cycle if you used live rock and live sand...

that will kill off your rock...

32 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

dont restart your cycle if you used live rock and live sand...

that will kill off your rock...

@NaekuhOkay, what do I do then at this point

On 2/18/2019 at 11:41 PM, Abhijit said:

@Firefish15 @Clown79 - My day # 3 parameters. Am I doing okay? Is there anything I should do differently? 

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190219100519545_COVER.jpg

Everything looks normal.

Just let the tank cycle and do a large waterchange when the cycle is done.

Doing waterchanges during cycling is not beneficial unless you have livestock in the tank or your levels fo above 5ppm

9 hours ago, Abhijit said:

@dling @Firefish15 @Naekuh

Guys, here are my day#7 parameters. What the heck is going on? Why is my ammonia and nitrite so low? Is this normal? I did a 50% WC yesterday. Did I screw it up? Salinity is at 1.025.

What do I do at this point? Do I add more ammonia? I add tetra bits as ammonia since it's a fishless cycle. 

Damn, I'm borderline freaking out!! It's my first reef and I don't want to screw it up 😐

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190223112413181_COVER.jpg

There is no need for waterchanges during a cycle unless there are fish in the tank(not recommended)

Or when your ammonia goes above 5ppm 

Liverock cycling goes quickly if the rock is in good shape, the more material decaying on the rock, the more detritus on it, the longer the cycle because ammonia levels are higher and take time to process.

The waterchanges reduced the levels. That doesn't mean the cycle will not occur. I would just stop doing them.

Let the cycle continue.

You want ammonia 0, nitrate, 0 and then do a large waterchange to reduce the nitrate levels.

I wouldn't dose purple up at all.

Why are you using prime? It's only used if you are using tap water(not advised fir various reasons) or have a spike while fish are in the tank.

Most test kits cannot read proper ammonia levels when Prime is used. Only the seachem kit(and similar kits)and the seachem ammonia badge will read ammonia accurately while using Prime.

Otherwise your readings will be inaccurate for 48hrs within dosing Prime.

• Like 2

I recommended the water changes because that's what I did in my situation. Granted, it was a much different situation than what @Abhijit is going through. I had a lot of rock that had previously been alive, but was dry for a few years. So when I started curing it in my tank, there was no shortage of ammonia source. Lots of dried-out dead stuff. I had to change the water frequently because the odor would build up quickly. So yeah, it appears I was wrong in the advice I gave in this situation.

@Clown79. Thanks for your advise. I will let the tank cycle as is now. Won't dose with anything but stability for another week. No WC till I reach 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Let's see how that goes. I use Prime because my LFS told me to, even though I'm using RODI water from my water purifier. It sort of did surprise me as well, but since the guy who works there asked me to, I did! Guess he just wanted to sell the product. I'll stop using the product. 

@Firefish15, it's all good bro. We all make mistakes and that's how we learn. That's how this hobby works and that's what makes it so amazing. 

• Like 1