Top Shelf Aquatics

New Nano Reef

Abhijit

Goto your LFS and look for Ocean Nutrtiion Prime Reef Flakes... or Formula One.  

The prime reef flakes is probably your best choice, as its is my favorate and many others flake food. 

Clowns should eat almost anything... they are not picky eaters unless they are sick. 

IMO i would pick up 2 small guys, and hope the best they pair up. 

One will turn into a female as it gets older and larger, while the other will stay male. 

21 hours ago, Naekuh said:

Goto your LFS and look for Ocean Nutrtiion Prime Reef Flakes... or Formula One.  

The prime reef flakes is probably your best choice, as its is my favorate and many others flake food. 

Clowns should eat almost anything... they are not picky eaters unless they are sick. 

IMO i would pick up 2 small guys, and hope the best they pair up. 

One will turn into a female as it gets older and larger, while the other will stay male. 

@Naekuh Ocean Nutrition products are crazy expensive here in India. Anyway, the clown started eating Hikari Marine S. I just had to reduce the flow of the HOB and that did the trick

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

@Naekuh @Firefish15 @seabass @Hunter Lang Guys, my apologies for being off for such a long time.

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my nano! Here's a pic. Been running for little over 5 months. Got 4 corals at the moment. (1) Colt (2) Ricordea mushroom (3) Toadstool leather & (4) Zoas

Got a few snails in there too. 

Absolutely loving it! 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190730205158119_COVER.jpg

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looking good, what are the plans for the future of this tank?

This will primarily be a softie tank. This is my first attempt at a coral reef, so I wanna keep it simple. 

I am planning a SPS only tank soon, primarily acroporas. But considering acros are so advance level reef keeping, I'm a little hesitant

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Abhijit said:

But considering acros are so advance level reef keeping, I'm a little hesitant

Considering this is your first reef tank, I feel that it's wise to be hesitant.  Maybe an LPS tank would be a good next step.  Or possibly try some easier SPS to start.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, seabass said:

Considering this is your first reef tank, I feel that it's wise to be hesitant.  Maybe an LPS tank would be a good next step.  Or possibly try some easier SPS to start.

@seabass Planning to upgrade and start keeping easy SPS. 

Had a couple of questions -

(1) Is my light any good for SPS? I have a LuminiGrow Asta 20

(2) I was planning to do away with the HOB filter I have and build a sump instead with a small refugium and a nano skimmer. Good idea? 

(3) Is 0 TDS water an absolute mandate for SPS? 

2 hours ago, Abhijit said:

(1) Is my light any good for SPS? I have a LuminiGrow Asta 20

I don't know much about it.  Seems like the spectrum is fine; however, the specs say, "Actual Wattage: 12~16W".  That's not much.  Do you know if you have the 180° or 60° optics?  The 180° lens will spread the light and blend the colors better; however, the intensity will also be much weaker.  The 60° lens will help concentrate the light in a smaller area, making the light more available in this small space.  Is this going to be a new pico tank or this tank?  What are the tank dimensions?  This light seems most suitable for a pico.

image.png.089b34c0e8bffc33686d445871a2f480.png

(2) I was planning to do away with the HOB filter I have and build a sump instead with a small refugium and a nano skimmer. Good idea?

It would add to the expense, and would be some work.  What size tank are we talking about here?  Sumps make more sense as the size of the tank increases.  Would you be drilling this tank for a proper overflow, or are you thinking about a HOB overflow?  I mean, I like the idea of a refugium and skimmer; but, depending on your system, it might not be as practical.  I can't recall the details/dimensions of this tank.

(3) Is 0 TDS source water an absolute mandate for SPS?  

No.  However, depending on the quantity and composition of the dissolved solids, it could possibly pose some problems.

I have the asta 20. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than 7g cube. It's not a very powerful light. 

I have it on my 2.5g. I was getting much better growth with the Abi 12w par 38.

16 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't know much about it.  Seems like the spectrum is fine; however, the specs say, "Actual Wattage: 12~16W".  That's not much.  Do you know if you have the 180° or 60° optics?  The 180° lens will spread the light and blend the colors better; however, the intensity will also be much weaker.  The 60° lens will help concentrate the light in a smaller area, making the light more available in this small space.  Is this going to be a new pico tank or this tank?  What are the tank dimensions?  This light seems most suitable for a pico.

image.png.089b34c0e8bffc33686d445871a2f480.png

It would add to the expense, and would be some work.  What size tank are we talking about here?  Sumps make more sense as the size of the tank increases.  Would you be drilling this tank for a proper overflow, or are you thinking about a HOB overflow?  I mean, I like the idea of a refugium and skimmer; but, depending on your system, it might not be as practical.  I can't recall the details/dimensions of this tank.

No.  However, depending on the quantity and composition of the dissolved solids, it could possibly pose some problems.

I was planning to use the Asta 20 on the same tank, except doing away the softies and getting LPS and easy SPS instead. Looks like I can pretty much get any coral in India, contrary to what I thought earlier. I use the 180° lens on it. Should I switch to a 60°? 

The tank in question is the same tank, 12X12X12 inch ADA cube. But I thought some, and a refugium and skimmer won't make financial sense. I'm better off with 30-40% weekly WC. 

I have finally found a cheap way to get 0 TDS water. I think 0 TDS is always better for coral health. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have the asta 20. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than 7g cube. It's not a very powerful light. 

I have it on my 2.5g. I was getting much better growth with the Abi 12w par 38.

I'm using it on the 6.67g cube. Is it any good for LPS & SPS?

2 minutes ago, Abhijit said:

I'm using it on the 6.67g cube. Is it any good for LPS & SPS?

Most Lps should be ok, easier sps might work closer to the light.

1 hour ago, Abhijit said:

I use the 180° lens on it. Should I switch to a 60°? 

I would.  That should increase PAR, and reduce light spill.  PAR levels might be nearly doubled at the same height above the water.

The tank in question is the same tank, 12X12X12 inch ADA cube.

OK, that might work.

How much flow will this tank have again?

19 hours ago, seabass said:

I would.  That should increase PAR, and reduce light spill.  PAR levels might be nearly doubled at the same height above the water.

OK, that might work.

How much flow will this tank have again?

@seabass I've finally decided to convert this into a zoa garden. I'll do SPS & LPS with a larger tank at a later date. Zoas are relatively easy and extremely beautiful and I kind of like the idea of having just exotic zoas in my tank. 

For flow, at the moment, it just has a small powerhead that rotates water at I think 100 litres per hour. I know that's kind of low. 

I'm thinking of building a 11g sump with a refugium, space for a nano skimmer and some filter media. Considering the tank is just 6.67g, will it be an overkill? I need a way to make sure I have some way for N&P export. The zoas I'm thinking cost a limb, so just want to make sure the water is pristine! 

I'm thinking of building a 11g sump with a refugium, space for a nano skimmer and some filter media. Considering the tank is just 6.67g, will it be an overkill? I need a way to make sure I have some way for N&P export. The zoas I'm thinking cost a limb, so just want to make sure the water is pristine! 

Zoanthids don't really need pristine; they will benefit by some nitrate and phosphate.  Water changes are an obvious export mechanism.  Decorative macro in your display can be another.

I won't try to talk you out of a sump.  There are a number of benefits to having one.  However, you could certainly get by without it.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Zoanthids don't really need pristine; they will benefit by some nitrate and phosphate.  Water changes are an obvious export mechanism.  Decorative macro in your display can be another.

I won't try to talk you out of a sump.  There are a number of benefits to having one.  However, you could certainly get by without it.

Gosh! Now you have me all confused! I was gonna do a refugium, nano skimmer and biomedia in my sump and do away with my HOB. So should I or shouldn't I?

7 hours ago, seabass said:

Gosh! Now you have me all confused! I was gonna do a refugium, nano skimmer and biomedia in my sump and do away with my HOB. So should I or shouldn't I?

• Like 1

Not that they don't have benefits, but you can get by without them.  They aren't a guaranteed recipe for success.  Check out @WV Reefer's dirty (no filter) tank builds.

A HOB filter is fine to use.  I personally also like to use protein skimmers, but they aren't needed either.  Achieving tank maturity is probably more important.  Proper nutrient and element levels, lighting, flow, placement, feeding, and stability; stocking compatibility, biodiversity, husbandry, and maintenance can be much more important than equipment (sumps, reactors, etc).

• Like 4