ReefCleaners.org

JBJ 28g wifi LED hood

pammins

Hi everyone, I recently upgraded my hood from the CFL to the WiFi enabled LED hood. Does anyone else have this thing? It includes a controller that I can in theory program with an app to create a light cycle, which is awesome except the app that controls the hood was barely translated into English and isn't tremendously user friendly. Does anyone have experience with this thing? Any pointers?

I would like to set a 24 hour cycle to try and mimic nature as best as possible but I'm just not sure how best to go about doing that. There are sliders for the white, blue, and red LEDs and then there is a timer you can set so you could in theory gradually intensify certain lights and dim others. However it isn't set by clock (i.e. you can't say from 6:00am to 8:00am you want the whites at 50% and the blues at 25% or whatever), just that you want them set for a given amount of minutes. This leaves me confused- when do the cycles start? How do I set a 24 hour cycle that repeats itself automatically?

Any advice would be super appreciated. I've just about made all the extra purchases I intend to for the tank and am looking forward to nailing everything down so my wife doesn't think I'm just throwing money away frivolously (which, tbf, I am)

On 1/30/2019 at 7:24 PM, pammins said:

UPDATE: Don't ever buy one of these things

That never came to market to my knowledge so you may have a beta or even alpha. Its going to be hard...

Wrong hood, sorry!

It may start the timer period when the unit turns on.   They aren't lights, but I have other electronics timers that work that way.

Pics of the interface might help if nobody chimes in with direct experience.

Did you contact JBJ?

Well, I actually got it programmed and was pretty happy with the whole thing but apparently there is an issue with the JBJ LEDs wherein evaporation gets in the fixtures (I don't know all the right terms here, sorry) and then they short the hell out. So the first strip of lights is just entirely dunzo. I certainly am willing to consider this is my fault somehow but regardless I think I'm over JBJ's lighting. I'm just not very impressed and I like the look of the open top. I have some research to do, I don't want to settle for second best again. 

• 4 months later...

I just received my replacement hood.  The dusk and Dawn LEDs on my LED pro died at 2 years.  I called about replacement parts and decided to replace the whole hood and move to the WiFI interface.  It is a much cleaner install than the LED pro, cable instead of three.   The app and instructions provided (no manual in the box or online) just plan suck.  It would be nice if there were some default programs for the different times of the day.  It looks like I will have to fight my way through a trail and error and hope I don’t shock my corrals with the sudden change.