Pod Your Reef

order to add my live stock

If_Only

So I have a pretty good understanding about this because all my other tanks have been a one or two fish tank (wasn't completely mine either) so ive never really had to worry about when I add livestock, but now that I got my new Red Sea max-170 with the sump, Im gonna have a few fish and a good amount of inverts (One of my favorite parts of saltwater, and the reason I got into it). Now I don't have a completely set in stone stock list just a good idea, Id of course love fish like a flame hawk (I like shrimp) and a yellow corris wrasse (favorite fish, but gets to big) but this is what I think im gonna do, but remember I want my first fish to be an easy to feed fish that will readily accept food, Im very finicky about feeding my fish and hate when my first few fish in the system are are to get to eat, also please tell me when I would add my first corals (as a rough guide) and my cleaner shrimp. Also im runing a full media caddy and an eshopps 120 skimmer so filtration is ok. (total water volume 50g ish)

Livestock

-2 occ. clowns (probably gonna add last)

-Clown goby

-Neon goby (would like to add with the clown goby?)

-Watchman goby (Will add a pistol shrimp but not till later)

-Cleaner shrimp

-Corals (starting with softies then moving to LPS)

-Fire fish (love these guys)

-Tuxedo urchin? (Might add one of these down the line)

What should I add first, I will add the first fish with some snails, and would like that fish to be easy to feed.

The best advice I can give is to quarantine all your fish before adding any to the display. 

This will prevent any issues regarding parasites/bacterial issues.

I'd add clowns last since they are most likely to have issues with the others.

The others all have pretty similar temperaments so anyone of them will do providing they are compatible with each other.

I like adding shrimp after a month or so since they are more sensitive.

Urchins need a lot of algae to survive. Some will accept nori and other times they don't.

They also need a stable environment, so I would wait until the tank is more mature.

Corals can be added anytime after the cycle, especially hardy corals 

Just go slow and give time in between additions

11 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Many people have issues getting clown gobies to eat...just a heads up

I'm on that list. Mine just wouldn't eat anything....it didn't live longer than 2 months.

14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm on that list. Mine just wouldn't eat anything....it didn't live longer than 2 months.

Me too...I am currently struggling with one trying to get him to eat..he was bigger than what I normally see if my lfs so I thought maybe that would make a difference....nope

18 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Me too...I am currently struggling with one trying to get him to eat..he was bigger than what I normally see if my lfs so I thought maybe that would make a difference....nope

Mine too. Not only did he only come out at night but refused to eat none of the food I tried- which was many foods.

30 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mine too. Not only did he only come out at night but refused to eat none of the food I tried- which was many foods.

48 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Which type of clown goby? Is it a genus thing or a species specific thing? Cause ive heard different types have diferent personalities. Ive also been thing about a Valentini puffer, but I like coral, would the risk be worth it?

45 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Mine is a citron

Ok, I’ve heard that yellow usually eat quite readily, or am I mistaken? I might start with my fire fish then see how things go. I really like small gobies and such and want to base my tank around those guys, and my tank is great for perching so I though clown goby.

8 minutes ago, If_Only said:

Ok, I’ve heard that yellow usually eat quite readily, or am I mistaken? I might start with my fire fish then see how things go. I really like small gobies and such and want to base my tank around those guys, and my tank is great for perching so I though clown goby.

I've had poor success with yellows because they don't eat. I had better luck with my green. It took him a few days, and took me some time to get the right-sized food for him. He was only 0.75" when I got him. Now he's around 1.5" and eating steadily. I feed mine NLS pellets, Hikari Marine S and now frozen mysis/brine (he couldn't eat either when he was smaller). 

2 hours ago, If_Only said:

Green banded goby is the best goby!! Fyi

So yellows are difficult? Like I said everywhere else I’ve looked they say that there super easy to feed. But I culture some live food for my freshwater fish so if worse comes to worst then I’ll try that out. But I think I’m gonna get the fire fish fish, then with my first corals or the two small gobys l, then a shrimp and a watchman, then more corals and two clowns. Sound like a good plan?

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Green banded goby is the best goby!! Fyi

Also, why do you think that? Not because I’m disagreeing, I just wanna hear why you have that opinion.

4 hours ago, If_Only said:

Also, why do you think that? Not because I’m disagreeing, I just wanna hear why you have that opinion.

Extremely active and personable, big appetites, like little sharks hopping all over, would come up to the glass and beg like puppies once they figure out I was commander of food. 

They just have a lot of attitude for a tiny fish, not shy or quiet like most gobies... They seem fearless. I guess in the wild they live under sea urchins. 

They can change sex and 2 juvies can become a pair like clowns so you also get spawning behavior as they are fairly easy to breed. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Extremely active and personable, big appetites, like little sharks hopping all over, would come up to the glass and beg like puppies once they figure out I was commander of food. 

They just have a lot of attitude for a tiny fish, not shy or quiet like most gobies... They seem fearless. I guess in the wild they live under sea urchins. 

They can change sex and 2 juvies can become a pair like clowns so you also get spawning behavior as they are fairly easy to breed. 

So I could have 2? Could I mix these with a clown goby, neon goby and 2 clowns, and maybe a fire fish?

Mine was a green clown goby.

I'd love one of these but never see them in the store.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Mine was a green clown goby.

I'd love one of these but never see them in the store.

they should cool, if I see one I might swoop, and ive heard that green clowns are a lot shier then yellows, dos I might try them, and I have live food if I need.

1 hour ago, Hunter Lang said:

I would add your two clowns together

Yeah, I knew about that, I think I might take a pair off of my friend because he's getting rid of his nano and already has a pair in his large tank so he's gonna give me his pair, they will go in together last.

56 minutes ago, If_Only said:

Yeah, I knew about that, I think I might take a pair off of my friend because he's getting rid of his nano and already has a pair in his large tank so he's gonna give me his pair, they will go in together last.

Awesome. I just recently got two clowns too but from different stores so they had a little bit of nitpicking at first but now are best buds. Best of luck on your tank!

9 hours ago, If_Only said:

So I could have 2? Could I mix these with a clown goby, neon goby and 2 clowns, and maybe a fire fish?

Yes to all..they are fine with whatever won't pick on them.

Yes to all..they are fine with whatever won't pick on them.

Alright, I might try them. But I’ve just heard of a scarlet pinstripe wrasse, it only get 3ish inches and I love red, so could I switch the fire fish on my list for this wrasse? I’ve heard even 25 gallons are ok for it, and if I really need I’ll even take away the watchman goby for it. I really like wrasses but thought there really weren’t any for my tank, which discouraged me cause I got my tank for a wrasse, and now I found one!! Could I?

3 hours ago, If_Only said:

Alright, I might try them. But I’ve just heard of a scarlet pinstripe wrasse, it only get 3ish inches and I love red, so could I switch the fire fish on my list for this wrasse? I’ve heard even 25 gallons are ok for it, and if I really need I’ll even take away the watchman goby for it. I really like wrasses but thought there really weren’t any for my tank, which discouraged me cause I got my tank for a wrasse, and now I found one!! Could I?

If you mean the pseudocheilinus evanidus, I have not had one but fish in this genus are generally aggressive to other wrasses and as they age, any fish may be a target. 

These are all small and peaceful:

Wetmorella tanakai

Wetmorella albofasciata

Wetmorella nigropinnata

Pseudocheilinops ataenia

I would stay away from any aggressive wrasses since you plan on some peaceful fish. 

Most common flasher wrasses should work in a 34g as well.

You need a top, wrasses and gobys jump. 

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If you mean the pseudocheilinus evanidus, I have not had one but fish in this genus are generally aggressive to other wrasses and as they age, any fish may be a target. 

These are all small and peaceful:

Wetmorella tanakai

Wetmorella albofasciata

Wetmorella nigropinnata

Pseudocheilinops ataenia

I would stay away from any aggressive wrasses since you plan on some peaceful fish. 

Most common flasher wrasses should work in a 34g as well.

You need a top, wrasses and gobys jump. 

The Red Sea max 170 is 45 g for the display, not 34. Could I do a possum and a flasher? I love love love wrasse and also love there utility. I wouldn’t mind a wrasse goby tank, I’ll happily take a wrasse over a clownfish. Or maybe one tailspin/Hoevens wrasse (ive heard they can go in my tank). Does the wrasse just have to be under  3-4 inches? And my favorite fish in all the fish are yellow corris wrasses, super useful, and look beautiful and have great personalities, could I keep a small one and maybe upgrade, if the "boss of the house" like the wrasse, maybe to a 65 gallon or something. Thoughts?