Coral Vue Hydros

Can Pom Pom Crabs Kill Clams?

cital

So I purchased a Derasa clam and it was very healthy and my tank is very established with no issues.  I acclimated the clam and it looked great... that evening after the lights went down my Pom Pom crab started “inspecting” the clam... the clam retracted, but I figured the crab was just checking things out and would go about its business... in the morning nearly the entire clam was gone and the Pom Pom crab was inside the shell... is this known to happen or was it a fluke?  Thanks for any feedback...

• Wow 1

Crab probably smelled the clam was sick/dying and just wanted a free meal. Clams can look in perfect health up until they just die. The stress of the move for a sick clam was probably the last straw. 

32 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Crab probably smelled the clam was sick/dying and just wanted a free meal. Clams can look in perfect health up until they just die. The stress of the move for a sick clam was probably the last straw. 

That makes sense, thanks