Coral Vue Hydros

Fusion 20...March Update

TatorTaco

Can't set journals to private, so let me just tell you in advance, this journal might be pretty boring.  I'm experiencing slow coral growth so I wanted a way to date coral growth, and also a place to write down random reef related thoughts. 

I had a Cadlights 45G but it was a bit too much for me - water changes, fish and coral stocking, etc.  It was more expensive to stock than I planned.  My wife said I could sell my perfectly good 9-ish month old tank when we moved, so when we bought our first house I started shopping for a new tank.  Here's a picture of that tank:

5KBrxbl.jpg

I got a Fusion 10, but as soon as I saw it I realized I might have gone a little too nano. 

bLoHNOq.jpg

I found a Fusion 20 through Facebook a couple hours north of me, and the next thing I knew, I went from 1 big tank to 2 small tanks in the course of 1 weekend.  You might notice that I'm not a smart man, or at least - I'm quite fickle and change my mind a LOT. The seller offered his liverock, so I took it too.  I had to rig up my corals + rocks from the 45G so that's why you see an AP700 secured over 2 totes.  Here's the Fusion 20: 

YWwWlsx.jpg

Bbq9z4m.jpg

The 45G is gone, and now I'm left with the Fusion 20 & Fusion 10.  Since I couldn't make up my mind which tank I preferred, I've kept both tanks the the Fusion 10 is my wife's tank in the bedroom. 

For the sake of continuity, we're going to say the start date on both tanks was 9/3/2018.

• Like 1

I've moved the A160 light to my wife's Fusion 10 and replaced it with a Prime HD.  About a month later, I traded the A160 that was on the Fusion 10 to another Prime HD for continuity's sake.  I didn't care much for the spectral controller on the A160, and having 2 different ways to change light settings for 2 different tanks was just too much effort for my lazy butt.  

RnhyT1b.jpg

I've stopped using the filter socks in both tanks and now run 2 InTank baskets on the 20G and 1 InTank basket on the 10G. 

I have the longer flex arm on this tank because the previous owner was going for a 2 island look.  Because the rocks are so high, I'll need to get a second light to cover both rocks, but in the mean time, I just use the longer flex arm for the best spread. 

So, that leaves me with the current setup of:

2 InTank Baskets (Filter Floss, then ChemiPure, then an empty chamber at the bottom) on both sides

Sicce 1.5

2 IM SpinStream Nozzles

Eheim Heater (I have a Cobalt Neotherm but I never bothered to put it in)

Inkbird Thermometer/Controller

Tunze 3152 ATO

IM ATO resevoir

1 Jebao OW-10 powerhead

Livestock:

2 plain Occelaris Clownfish

1 Hi-Fin "Barbershop" Yellow Nose Goby + Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

I hope I can go back and edit this post at a later date so I can add names to the corals.  

Here's a picture of the rockscape and coral placement as of 12/1/18.

x1kMZfe.jpg

Some type of leather coral.  Picked it up last weekend for $10.  Might be a finger leather? 

shoedyT.jpg

Hoping this is a plating Monticap:

AiAT8S5.jpg

KLKi9HO.jpg

Neon Green Long Polyp Toadstool:

nyUzqqP.jpg

Neon Green Nepethelia/Sinularia Leather Coral:

eXwSi0m.jpg

VIpqLms.jpg

SkKLEM7.jpg

Long Tentacle Plate Coral:

https://i.imgur.com/4ngdyPY.mp4

Rasta Zoanthids:

Vtdie9p.jpg

Unknown:

DHuN9gi.jpg

Unknown, but the 2 polyp frag are my favorite for some reason:

Lc2YXbe.jpg

I'll try to get a better picture of these later on:

k4wMIsN.jpg

gYj3ojh.jpg

Unknown:

GeQntCO.jpg

I think these are Sunny D's, but 2 different strains, as one frag's head and polyps are much bigger than the other:

3DRi5tp.jpg

Boring Unknown Green/Yellow Zoanthids:

MZFrVvk.jpg

Unknown:

WWnAFXv.jpg

Duncan coral, and another unknown.  I think they're generic Vietnamese since I see so many other reefers have them:

cAVJaxl.jpg

Orange Bam Bams.  Pretty sure my plate coral stung them to death, but I'm including them just in case they come back:

BYm5XGN.jpg

And here's a FTS or 2 before the Gorgonian order:

fFQCFEa.jpg

OvMzNdj.jpg

I decided I wanted Gorgonians, so I ordered through KP Aquatics.  I didn't think that order through very well.  While I made a point to get photosynthetic ones, I didn't consider where they'd go.  

gRvf84e.jpg

B9HGO2E.jpg

Blah.  I think that's just about it.  Or at least, all I can think of at the moment.  While I'll keep checking this thread out, I hope to post pictures every couple months to monitor coral growth, since it's been rather slow lately.  After creating this journal, I realize that I've been adding a lot of corals and have had my hands in the tank pretty often, so maybe I should just relax my wallet and let my hands dry out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Christopher Marks

I love your gorgonian collection @TatorTaco! Thank you for sharing your aquarium journal with us, it's nice to follow along with everyones progress. 🙂

5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

After creating this journal, I realize that I've been adding a lot of corals and have had my hands in the tank pretty often, so maybe I should just relax my wallet and let my hands dry out. 

Wise words 😄 

Looking good! Our tanks started up about the same time! Hell, I even bought a 10 as well and said NOPE! IM 20 here I come!

Looks like you swapped the Jebao for a MP10?

Any fish yet?.... I need to update my own thread.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, Coastie said:

Looking good! Our tanks started up about the same time! Hell, I even bought a 10 as well and said NOPE! IM 20 here I come!

Looks like you swapped the Jebao for a MP10?

Any fish yet?.... I need to update my own thread.

I started with the MP10 and moved to the Jebao actually. It started making a rattling noise so I sent it in for service after owning it 15 months. They said I need a new power center (driver?) and dry side for $85. After my $10 for shipping it to them and $10 for returning it, I’d be at $105 and they said my warranty wouldn’t restart. I just decided to cut my losses and got a new powerhead. The MP10 gets a lot of hype, and my experience didn’t match that. Absolutely no regrets for switching, and I like the big tumor hanging off my tank not being there too. 

Current stocking is 2 clownfish, Cleaner shrimp, and a Yellow Nose Goby with a pistol shrimp. I’m thinking about adding another fish, but I’m on the fence. 

I was noticing a bit of film on the tank. I should have enough flow in the tank though. Decided to pull my Sicce 1.5 out and give it a scrub. While it was super clean, I did have a lot of carbon pellets stuck in the vents from a spill I had awhile back. After cleaning it up, I don’t have that film anymore, so I’ll have to keep that in mind next time it develops. Or, just angle a powerhead towards to top instead of directing the flow across the tank. 

8pp34A4.jpgVisited a local reefer and traded one frag of gorgonian, the torch coral I could never grow, a single zoa polyp I decided I didn't want and then about 15 pounds of dry rock I never used.  Ended up coming home with a flower pot coral and another head of duncan coral.  The issue, is that the duncan is a different color than my current duncan.  I currently have a green/green duncan but the new frag is purple/green.  Not sure why didn't notice, or if it'll even be a issue later on, but I really wanted to to place the new frag of dunan on the right side of the current duncan to help it cover that rock a bit more.  Maybe pictures would help, but I haven't bothered to take any yet.  Regardless, I'm glad I was able to clean the sandbed up a little with misc. frags.  

• Like 3

Well, looks like I’ll be returning a Prime HD tomorrow before I end up setting up a new tank. Sorry y’all, but SPS just doesn’t do it for me and I can’t justify 2 Primes on a Fusion 20, even with my 2 tier aquascape. I’ll provide a couple pics for prosperity. 

I also will will be returning a Prime mount and a Sicce 1.5. Sometimes I should really think about these purchases and ask myself if I’m making this easier or harder on myself. Ugh. 

Oh, picked up a rainbow clove polyp frag from a local reefer on my lunch break. That was nice. 4E10A754-18A0-4D0E-AE16-1311C6C4543F.thumb.jpeg.0be1e019cb9d6c944fcfe6a6fd2a0e50.jpeg

A6EA2ADE-860B-455D-A1B9-52BA47089C4B.jpeg

930BC8F5-AE37-45CC-9205-F4E6FE471C45.jpeg

• TatorTaco changed the title to Fusion 20...3/19 Update

I changed my mind since last update about the 2nd AI Prime and after returning it, ended up placing another order for one.  Oops!  To be honest, I'm not quite observant and I can't really tell much of a difference in shading, but I assume the difference is obvious to those with a more keen eye.  I was running the BRS AB+ Schedule, but with adding a 2nd Prime, I've reduced them both to about 70% on acclimation mode.  

I'm pleased to report that I've added a Yasha Goby to the tank, and he/she has paired with my candycane pistol shrimp.  I don't see the Yasha Goby unless it's feeding time, and then he's quite bold and goes all over the tank for food. 

BvgqkTM.jpg

While speaking of additions, I've added my final fish to the tank - a Tail Spot Blenny. He's just as fun as everyone said he'd be.  He eats well, and I constantly see him pecking at my Dragon's Breath macroalgae near him.  TBH, I'm not sure he's eating it, but I could care less either way as I know he's eating flake food.  Here's a pic at my LFS of him:

zwZEnma.jpg

I experimented with chaeto algae in my rear chamber, but I couldn't tell a noticeable growth and I couldn't be bothered to buy a timer to run it opposite of the Prime schedule, so it stayed on 24/7.  I ended up pulling it out last night and threw it in the yard.  Nitrates are hovering around 5ppm, so no big deal I guess.  

I've wanted to see what all the hype was about with SPS corals, so I picked up a itty bitty pink birdsnest for $10.  Time will tell how it does, but I haven't managed to bleach it.  

HBV5JLC.jpg

While I was at my LFS last weekend, I noticed they had a small handful of SPS nubs in a breeder box, but it was hanging outside the tank.  I asked an employee what the deal with them was (hoping he'd give me a small nub for free) and he said he didn't know what the employee from the day before was doing, but they've been outside the tank since the night before with no circulation, heat, and only ambient lighting.  I asked if I could have them and he said if I made a purchase he'd give them to me.  Dude forgot they were holding my TSB for pickup, so I twisted his arm to give them to me.  He said they were green pocillopora, but I think they were actually 2 different SPS corals, as one is more vibrant green than the other.  They're in the sand bed for now since I have no idea where I want them.  Here's a bad picture of them in a small cup that I used to dip them.  They're only about 1/2 - 3/4 inches tall (at the most). 

tFE58GH.jpg

My monticap that I never could find a good spot for was glued to the back of the tank.  I regret doing this, because it still doesn't have much space to grow out to the water column, so I'll likely end up popping it off the wall and selling it.  

Finally, here's a FTS:

Ig73bAZ.jpg?3

That corky sea finger on the right has been a gigantic thorn for me.  I've provided more light and more flow and it seems as though as the weeks go on I'm seeing less and less polyps.  😞

Hey Tator, I came over to check out your tank and I must say it seems pretty cool! It's great to see your Yasha and pistol shrimp all bonded up and doing well. That's one of my favorite partnerships and one I wish I could replicate in my aquarium.

Sorry to hear that your corky finger isn't opening up! They definitely love flow, but too much can also be an issue for them, as intense current can prevent them from extending their polyps. It's all about finding that delicate balance, and it certainly isn't easy. Are you having extension issues with any of your other gorgs, or is it just that one?

Could be that it's just going through a shedding cycle too. One of my gorgs looked like that for a few weeks before abruptly returning to normal.

Yeah, I’ve been fooling with the tank way too much lately, and everything is peeved. I think I’m going to try to leave everything alone for a few weeks before I start messing around again, and flow will be the first thing I tackle. 

Adding a 2nd Prime (I think) caused a CRAZY cyno problem for me, which has irritated most corals, including the gorgonian. I hope I’ve found a better and lower light level so after a water change yesterday I’m hoping it’ll resolve itself. I do have an extra powerhead and also chemiclean if things gets out of hand. 

List of stupid things I've done lately (back to back):

+ Added a 2nd Prime and didn’t lower the light levels, thus bleaching my birdsnest. 

+Replaced stock IM screen with the BRS DIY version. 

+ Moved my powerhead all over the place. 

+ added chaeto to the back and then took it out a couple weeks later. Didn’t anti-sync the light cycle with my display tank. 

+ New livestock

+ New corals (SPS at that)

In short, I’m a moron and didn’t show patience. Now I’m paying for it. 

I agree that letting things settle in for a bit might be a pretty good idea. I don't think you're a moron though, or at least no more of a moron than the rest of us. What reefer can resist getting his or her hands wet at every available opportunity? 😄

Things seem to be going reasonably well though, just based on the FTS above. What type of macroalgae do you have growing in the back there?

I have dragon's breath macroalgae in the back/right of the tank.  I started a 2nd job last week which has me gone from home from 6am-10pm on the weeknights.  Because of this, I changed my lighting schedule (just the sunrise/sunset time) to see my tank while I'm out of the house.  I certainly have cyno algae which has taken hold in my tank and irritated corals.  I will be treating it with ChemiClean tonight so that way I can do the recommended water change over the weekend.  Hopefully things will turn around for me soon.  I've been following your tank @billygoat and after I pay down some bills, I might be looking to set up a biotope.  Hoping I can get the money together by the end of summer.

• Like 1

I think you'd do a great job with a biotope if you do decide to go for it! Your tank right now looks pretty good, all things considered. Cyanobacteria is not too much to worry about; I have a bunch of it too, but I have a feeling that it will eventually eat up all of whatever it's thriving on and spontaneously crash. Let me know how the ChemiClean goes though! I'd heard of that stuff but have never tried it myself.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, billygoat said:

I think you'd do a great job with a biotope if you do decide to go for it! Your tank right now looks pretty good, all things considered. Cyanobacteria is not too much to worry about; I have a bunch of it too, but I have a feeling that it will eventually eat up all of whatever it's thriving on and spontaneously crash. Let me know how the ChemiClean goes though! I'd heard of that stuff but have never tried it myself.

Either I don’t have cyno and have something else (Dino’s?), or can’t follow directions. I’ve used chemiclean successfully in a previous tank, but it’s not making a dent in my current tank. I’m thinking I have a different issue than cyno though. 😞

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Either I don’t have cyno and have something else (Dino’s?), or can’t follow directions. I’ve used chemiclean successfully in a previous tank, but it’s not making a dent in my current tank. I’m thinking I have a different issue than cyno though. 😞

I feel like proper diagnosis for "slime algae" can be extremely tricky. There are some species of cyano that look like diatoms, and some diatoms that look like dinoflagellates, and some dinoflagellates that look like Derbesia coated in diatoms, and etc. etc. etc. Different species of slime algae will even demonstrate different color variations under different conditions. Sometimes I wish I had a microscope on hand just so I could figure out a proper ID!

I hope you get it sorted out though. And don't get discouraged; remember that sometimes all you have to do is give it time. Just keep a steady maintenance schedule and hopefully whatever is growing in there will crash on its own.

Do you have any close-up photos of your problem algae? Maybe we could help with identification.

I will try to take pictures later tonight.  It has annoyed all my corals and I'm worried about coral fatality since none are opening.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a gamble at the moment unless I start just throwing money at it.  I could buy a uv sterilizer and hope for the best.  I could start blindly chemically treating it, but I'm not sure if that would work.  I could buy a microscope in hopes of IDing it.  Blah Blah Blah.  

I've reduced the lighting and feeding.  Next step is a black out in a week or two. 

I was trying to figure out what might have made your dino bloom start, but maybe you making all the changes in the tank recently explains it. What's your nitrate and phosphate like? I think most dinos actually thrive with low nutrients so you might not want to slow your feeding if that's what it really is. That's usually another clue it's dinos and not something else. Do they mostly go away at night and come back after the lights are on? If they are the type that do that, I think the UV is a lot more likely to help, because they all break up and go into the water column, where the UV can kill them. I've been doing a ton of research lately but this is my first time dealing with anything like this so take it with a grain of salt, hah.

Also I bet you could find someone around you to lend you a microscope, or take a sample to or something, if you don't want to deal with buying one! I know I just couldn't fit that in the budget at the moment, but it is a LOT of fun to use with the tank.

Sorry for the late response @lizzyann.  You'd think having a kid in high school and another in junior high, I'd be able to get my hands on a microscope, or at least bring a sample in.  However, no dice.  I was thinking about the microscope last night, and I'm going to start researching them so that way I can use it for all sorts of little investigations with the tank.  

The algae does go away at night and returns in the morning, which leads me to believe you might be right about the dino + uv sterilizer.  I figure it's worth a gamble, so I'm going to order one shortly and have it delivered Saturday.  I'll be sure to report back with my findings. 

Small update:  just purchased the Innovative Marine Auqashield 9W UV Ultra Violet Light on Amazon.  A lot of freshwater reviews for something called the "green killing machine", but I thought a bit of brand loyalty might work in my favor from IM.  Fingers crossed it'll be here Saturday 4/6 and I'll have (good) news to report a few days later. 

• TatorTaco changed the title to Fusion 20...IM Sterilizer purchased
12 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

The algae does go away at night and returns in the morning, which leads me to believe you might be right about the dino + uv sterilizer.  I figure it's worth a gamble, so I'm going to order one shortly and have it delivered Saturday. 

Certainly looks quite a bit stringier than diatoms or cyano, so I think your diagnosis of dinos might sadly be correct 😞 But if @lizzyann's experience with the UV sterilizer is any indication, you should be in for a quick and easy solution! Here's hoping that everything is back to normal soon.

It warms my heart to see everybody fighting the good fight against these evil protists. Who knew that such primitive organisms could be such a colossal nuisance? 😄 

• TatorTaco changed the title to Fusion 20...March Update