Cultivated Reef

Starting a 10g

NPHD

Would it be too much dangerous to a clownfish if it was added to a new tank if I'm also adding 10lb of live rock to a 10g tank. The live rock I'm buying is from a LFS that keeps the rock they sell in an aquarium with fish. 

• Like 1

It would be dangerous indeed. You need to add the 10lbs rock, get it nice and settled, cycle it, and then test. Only then can you start adding fish safely. I've learned that regardless if it's sold as live rock, it's pretty much never cycled, and the movement can upset whatever stability it has. There's plenty of great guides online, I suggest the "Fishless cycle method".

Good luck!

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, NPHD said:

Would it be too much dangerous to a clownfish if it was added to a new tank if I'm also adding 10lb of live rock to a 10g tank. The live rock I'm buying is from a LFS that keeps the rock they sell in an aquarium with fish. 

I would set up the tank with the live rock first. That way if you do have an ammonia spike, it won’t harm the fish. 

Liverock may or may not go through a cycle. Depends if its established rock or not.

There may be a spike due to it not be transported in water, die off during long aquascape periods out of water. Etc etc.

Its safest to set up the tank and test for a week.

You can feed lightly with fish food to see if there is a spike.

In the event of anything, if you do a fishless cycle, don't dose ammonia with liverock. This method is for dry rock fishless cycle. 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2019 at 8:24 PM, Lypto said:

It would be dangerous indeed. You need to add the 10lbs rock, get it nice and settled, cycle it, and then test. Only then can you start adding fish safely. I've learned that regardless if it's sold as live rock, it's pretty much never cycled, and the movement can upset whatever stability it has. There's plenty of great guides online, I suggest the "Fishless cycle method".

Good luck!

Agreed.  Even if rock is established and has been cycled in another tank I generally recommend a week or two of making sure things are good and settled before adding fish.  The critical part is keeping the rock wet in saltwater as much as possible.  

1 hour ago, NPHD said:

How much food would you recommend adding?

Don’t waste the time. Get ammonium chloride and dose using that. 

That being said, if you know you have cured live rock I’d just put a fish in with it. You paid a premium for established live rock, why not?

2 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Don’t waste the time. Get ammonium chloride and dose using that. 

Its liverock. It's not recommended to dose ammomia with liverock.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Got me before the edit damn it. 

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Even though, dose to one ppm and test to see. 

Nah nevermind. Don’t risk it. 

If you paid for actual live rock add a fish. If the stuff was wet and been in a system for at least a month it’s good to go.