Pod Your Reef

IM Abyss Panorama 20g Drop-Off 10.9.19 Update NanoBox Duo

HiImSean

713C19C4-6CF7-4875-87A4-7BFB8B309FB4.thumb.jpeg.5c0e89a116c5376ff6a3ee08751102aa.jpeg

I'm been running my ADA 30W for a while now but I find it pretty boring. I haven't done much with it besides add some hermits and a few RFA. A local was selling an Abyss Panorama brand new in box for a good price so I jumped on it. I've wanted one of these since they originally came out. I'm going to keep the tank pretty basic. I've got a hand full of zoas I'm going to toss in it plus a RBTA. I'm not sure id I'll move my clowns from my 90g over or get another pair. I have a NanoBox Mini Tide M on my ADA that I'll move over for light. I don't know if I'll upgrade the pumps and I am also thinking of moving my MP10es from my 90g to this tank. I'm not sure about what skimmer to go with yet since the chamber is pretty small I'm limited on my choices. I'd like to do the Aquamaxx 1.5 but I feel like a HOB negates the fact the tank is suppose to be an AIO. I've been looking at the new IM SkimMat skimmers but I'm not sure how they perform. I'm not sure how quickly this build will move along, my wife is due in about 2.5 weeks with our first child. It's either going to be super fast or super slow lol.

Tank: Innovative Marine Abyss Panorama

Stand: Old night stand in guest bedroom

Heater: Eheim Jager 75w

Light: NanoBox Mini Tide M

ATO: Tunze 3155

Skimmer: ?? (Open to suggestions)

Flow: ?? Maybe Mp10es

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

• Like 3
hedgeclipper2

I had an MP10 on mine on Reefcrest at like 30% and it was great.  Don't use a skimmer because I don't like any that fit in the back chambers, I just do frequent water changes, easy for a tank this size.  Love these tanks though, jealous that yours is glass!  My centerpiece in mine is a Maxi-Mini Anemone that is about 7-8" across.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the AquaMaxx 1.0 skimmer and it looks real nice. It’s used but it looks brand new, I’m excited to fire it up! I also ordered lid clips from IM and new RODI filters for making a fresh start with the tank. 

Got some new toys for the tank today. I also picked up a nice bubble tipped anemone last weekend. I’m excited for this tank to get rolling. 

The mightyjet was a bit of a PITA to get in the middle chamber since it gets narrow then opens up again. 

3B2691E9-E71F-4783-AD78-52E4CF2F3651.jpeg

• Like 1
Gourami Swami

Looks great! nice start. Just a thought, won't it be kind of hard to view the drop off section from tht angle? Personally would put in on the other side of the room so could view the dropoff section

It’s probably getting moved. We’re still moving things around in that room. It’s most likely ending up on a dresser. 

The Tunze looks huge in the tank, hopefully it’s not too powerful. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going a different lighting route. I found a 4bulb T5 and adding reef bites to it. I really like the look of T5s and LEDs so this tank may end up as a SPS reef now lol

:lol: Best title for a thread (and perfect introductory gif)!  Very unique and cool set-up.  But how do you sleep with that beast right next to your head??  

LOL Thanks

This is in our extra bedroom. The tank isn't setup but I'm pretty sure it's going to get moved across the room before it is setup, I've been super busy with a newborn to "start" the tank yet. I hopefully will have water made up this weekend and test fill the tank, which I was going to do this past weekend but ended up not getting much sleep for about 38 hours.

Congrats!  Can't believe you are even thinking about setting up anything (let alone a reef tank) with a newborn.  Props to you!  And your wife must be thrilled about this tank.  :)

She enjoys the tanks! I’ve got a pico in that room now but I’ve always wanted the drop off tank since they came out. She’s been doing up the nursery with pretty much what ever she wanted so this is my “nursery” lol

• Haha 1

I got the new lights this weekend. I'm going to have to find a cleaner setup for the T5s, right now they're just mounted to a simple wood frame since they were over a frag tank but them with the reefbite are going to put out a ton of light!

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like I’ve been sitting on this for a while now so I filled the tank with some water to make sure there are no leaks. It’s been holding solid since Saturday. I’m going to try to empty it today and move it to it’s final spot. I need to figure out a way to hang my lights now. I have a 4 bulb LET retro fit fixture and a reefbite I need to hang or suspend. I was thinking that 8020 aluminum stuff by I don’t want to break the bank for a light fixture

• 1 month later...

I’ve kind of got things running. I am switching my lights up again. It was too much stuff over the tank with the t5s and reefbite so I got a good deal on a Nanobox duo m. I’m also not sure about the hob skimmer. It’s making a bit of a mess and I don’t want to deal with that. I’ll get some pics up soon

• Like 1

All I have for right now. The Duo is suppose to arrive today but it looks like thanks to USPS it’ll be here tomorrow. 

238DE779-B6C2-4D6D-B7B0-2D9F843E8156.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Well it’s been quite a while since I’ve updated this. Since the last time I ordered a second hand Duo which came with some water damage and the white channel wouldn’t come on.  I returned that to the seller and decided to order a brand new Duo from NanoBox. I understand Dave’s been backed up but it’s been over 2 months since I placed the order and I’m expecting it to arrive any day now. 

I could never ever get my Aquamaxx skimmer to run properly so I never had it online. I got it running last week and dialed in. 

I finally got some rock rock in my tank this weekend. I feel like it’s a bit crowded now so I may eventually remove some of the rock. 

Let me know what you guys think of the rock work. 

Theres also a hand hand full of corals is there. 

Off the top of my head:

Cornbred Radioactive Rainbow favia

Pandora Palys

Rainbow Hornets

Rastas

Stratosphere

Pink Sakuras

King Midas

3 random zoa rocks

some mushrooms from my 90g

2 baby RBTA that keep hiding 

Since my last update a good bit has changed at home too. I got into graduate school. I’m now working on a Masters in Science in Applied Statistics, so basically data analytics. So far it’s pretty easy, lots of programming. Since most classes are in the evening we decided it’s best if I left my job and stay at home with our daughter, who’s growing like a weed, instead of spending a butt load of money on daycare. We have some tough days but mostly good. I may breakdown my 90g due to being so busy. The 20g is much easier to deal with. 

35D4BD7F-0892-41A8-B680-9D8D77F88880.jpeg

A4C5534F-1EA7-438B-B6A9-405F606AD0AD.jpeg

FEC57FF4-1D95-42CB-90CF-05848C4CC6B4.jpeg

D7282FB3-D8AB-4AD3-92FA-53798EF6BF53.jpeg

421746EA-11A9-495B-B69B-AA3D56384A4F.jpeg

BB05B145-BE45-48B7-B9A0-C8722C7DF79A.jpeg

• Like 1

My customer Duo came in. I got to briefly set it up, I haven’t messed with channels yet cause it was my daughters nap time. I got it paired purple with a black lid. 

Bug thumbs up to @DaveFason for making a great product. 

Ill get more more pics when I can mess with channels later. 

24CCECB2-4585-4662-BF72-0B973270E7AB.jpeg

5AA0AFE5-5349-4A2A-99AC-52E82D57D5FB.jpeg

• Like 1