Pod Your Reef

Media for biocube 32

Ramzman89

I use purigen and carbon as of now. Been reading on chemi pure and think I'm gonna go to it. Lots of conflicting opinions out there. Should I add it and drop

the carbon? Purigen? Or all three lol. Sounds like a bit overkill.

Like you said, conflicting opinions about ChemiPure.  Personally, I think it's good, but doesn't last as long as marketed.

Instead, a good quality activated carbon (like Seachem Matrix Carbon) is effective as well as budget friendly.  If you need help with phosphate, add a little Seachem PhosGuard to it (but monitor phosphate levels to know when to replace or remove).

But feel free to try ChemiPure, it won't hurt anything (except maybe your pocketbook).  Some people swear by ChemiPure Elite and Purigen.

• Thanks 1

Chemipure contains carbon, so you don't need to run chemipure and carbon.  The typical config I've seen from posters is Chemipure elite, purigen, and filter floss.  Some run Chemipure blue and filter floss as the blue product is supposed to be elite + purigen in the same bag.

• Thanks 2

Chemipure is carbon so running additional carbon is not needed.

Blue has media in it like purigen and elite has phos reducer.

There will always be conflicts of opinion.

Me personally, I think it's over priced and it was no more effective than using a good carbon and purigen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1