Pod Your Reef

ordering fish online

WhatsReef

When stores get their stock shipped to them do they basically get it the same way we would if we were to order on LiveAquaria? I kind of hate to put a fish through the stress of shipping via UPS/Fedex but am I just looking at it the wrong way? I don't know enough about how the fish trade works to say.

I want a starry blenny and I called LFSs around here and nobody has one so that got me thinking about it. I don't like the notion of "well all my livestock died in shipping but they replaced it so that doesn't matter"... I don't want to kill fish and say "it didn't cost me any money so who cares", but would this just be happening on the fish store level regardless and by ordering from a large online vendor I'm actually CUTTING OUT one layer of shipping?

I prefer buying fish from LiveAquaria over my LFS for saltwater. Their divers den and captive bred fish are awesome. Any LFS will have to get fish shipped to them anyways, so the fish will always have to go through that stress. I've never had any DOA from LA. Just make sure you are there when the fish come in and it is easy.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, WhatsReef said:

When stores get their stock shipped to them do they basically get it the same way we would if we were to order on LiveAquaria? I kind of hate to put a fish through the stress of shipping via UPS/Fedex but am I just looking at it the wrong way? I don't know enough about how the fish trade works to say.

I want a starry blenny and I called LFSs around here and nobody has one so that got me thinking about it. I don't like the notion of "well all my livestock died in shipping but they replaced it so that doesn't matter"... I don't want to kill fish and say "it didn't cost me any money so who cares", but would this just be happening on the fish store level regardless and by ordering from a large online vendor I'm actually CUTTING OUT one layer of shipping?

Virtually all places order from a distributor (ie Quality Marine).  If you order through Diver's Den on Live Aquaria then you are getting a fish that has been cared for by Live Aquaria's own facility (there are reports that overall people have better results with Diver's Den than regular LA).   To me if you have an LFS that takes care of their fish, it's better to get one from them in most cases.  Why?  

1) You actually get to physically observe the fish you are going to buy, instead of buying some mystery fish that is shipped to you that looks like the picture on a website.  For more delicate species I would definitely go LFS since your best bet is to literally pick the right fish.  I would not have a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse in my tank right now if I were simply ordering one online (as they are delicate shippers and many die from the stress of shipping).  I know a guy from another forum that lost 5 different Leopard Wrasses ordered from Live Aquaria (not via Diver's Den though) and they were from 2 separate orders.  In my case I got to observe the Blue Star Leopard for 2 weeks after it arrived and before I spent a dime on it and it wasn't until week 3 that I brought it home.  It's going on 6 months now and is very active and eats like a pig.  

2) Generally speaking unless you spend $100 or more you get slapped with a hefty $30 shipping charge.  This means you are essentially forced into making a bulk purchase whether you want it or not.  If you just want a single fish or a couple of relatively inexpensive fish you go from a $30-$60 purchase from your LFS to a $60-$90 purchase from a website.  When you buy them from your LFS they get the bulk order discount and generally pass on the savings to you.  

3) If you live in a climate with temps well below freezing or blazing heat there are no worries about arranging to be there when the shipment gets there so it doesn't get exposed to extreme temps for prolonged periods of time.  Yes, online places pack the shipments well, but no one is going to convince me that they pack it well enough to withstand the shipment sitting on your doorstep in 20 degree weather for a few hours or more without negative consequences.  In my case my LFS is literally down the street from my house and I can go in at any time during their open hours and have a fish bagged up and brought home to start floating the bag in about 10 minutes and about 15 minutes later the fish is ready.  No need for prolonged acclimation since my LFS and I keep our temps and salinity virtually identical.  

Don't get me wrong, I think online vendors have their place (ie harder to find species or for those who don't have a reliable LFS), I just feel that if you do have a reliable LFS that for the aforementioned reasons they are a better choice. 

I buy most my fish from LA/DD...they are healthier than the LFS in my area and come with a guarantee.

I ordered 3 leopard wrasse from LA and only one was DOA so experiences vary. They pack the fish well but sometimes you will get DOAs or what not...that just happens. Happens to the LFS too. 

Divers den is generally safe. 

You can get disease from anywhere though so I personally QT all my fish.  

I order a lot from la/dd but have had 4 fish that were doa.  They gave me my credit but I prefer to buy from local lfs since I can support them.  I always qt and treat my fish even from LA/DD.  I agree with the LFS I can see them and ask how long they have had the fish there etc.   I just like to support my lfs since if they close, I will have to order everything online.  

MainelyReefer

My go to LFS has acclimated so many more fish than me post shipping that I would assume their method is better.  From some of their wholesalers they also drive to the airport and get their shipments so it’s not like a UPS guy is delivering it in every case.  The Biota mandarins were delivered to them but I still picked it up right in the bag it was shipped in within an hour.  You can even ask your local petco to order a fish in(they are live aquaria) and they will call you day of and hold your fish in the bag.  This is nice as you benefit from someone being there to accept the fish and begin floating it, all while not exposing the fish to the system at the store.  And a 40$ Fish on live aquaria is the same price in store so you don’t pay any shipping nor have the risk of DOA.  Plus if it’s not healthy/perfect you don’t have to accept the specimen when doing it through the local store.  If ordering off LA I would just go to petco and get it cheaper(no shipping) with less self risk.

Pretty sure Petco offers no guarantee on fish bought in store/ordered through the store like LA. Just wanted to clarify.

I did have a order recently canceled by DD, they told me the specimen wasn't healthy enough to ship. So I guess they try not to toss just anything in the bag to send. 

When I had a tank like 5 years back I did place a couple orders with Live Aquaria and if I recall I had one shipment where a bunch of sexy shrimp died. I am in a pretty big city so there are stores around and that's where I've got all my livestock thus far since I got my new tank... mostly they are owned by Pet Valu, Petland or Petco but there are a couple of independent places.

Just got a captive-bred yellow watchman from Petco a few days ago but going to Petco around here is similar to watching an aquatic version of Schindler's List. Anyways, thanks everyone for the information/opinions on the topic.