Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feedback on rock work?

Lind715

Hey guys! So, this is my first saltwater tank. I'm used to freshwater so I have concerns about if I left good areas for coral. I also wanted to make sure I had plenty of hiding places for fish since this will hopefully be their home for a long time. Any feedback on the rock work? Is it too tall? These pics are of when I first set it up. It's been running for about a month now. It's a 32 gallon biocube. 20190103_145158.thumb.jpg.4b538ffbc6259ba2fed46323a02c90b3.jpg

20190103_112024.jpg

20190103_112001.jpg

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Lind715 said:

Hey guys! So, this is my first saltwater tank. I'm used to freshwater so I have concerns about if I left good areas for coral. I also wanted to make sure I had plenty of hiding places for fish since this will hopefully be their home for a long time. Any feedback on the rock work? Is it too tall? These pics are of when I first set it up. It's been running for about a month now. It's a 32 gallon biocube. 20190103_145158.thumb.jpg.4b538ffbc6259ba2fed46323a02c90b3.jpg

20190103_112024.jpg

20190103_112001.jpg

I like it! 😊

Looks good! Some unique shapes of rock there.

You could extend it out into the back corners too if you wanted - like make an overhanging rock that is braced against the side glass in the back so there's a cave entrance on either side. But that's just preference - I like a lot of rock personally.

Hey! At the risk of sounding a bit harsh, I'd say this looks like a lot of first scapes. Myself included. Rock heavy, piled up, and sort of just stacked how the best fit. I would adcocate for using less rock, adding a bio-block type thing in one of the chambers (not bio balls, the new pourous bio media) and creating separate islands. one large and one smaller. You also want to leave room for an algae scraper wand between the back rock and wall. Don't be scared to take a hammer to the rock!

I decided to go ahead and change it up because I wanted to see what else I could do before I end up adding fish. What do you guys think of this? I feel like I now have more options for coral on the rock but also more on the sand.

20190121_145022.jpg

20190121_150052.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, Lind715 said:

I decided to go ahead and change it up because I wanted to see what else I could do before I end up adding fish. What do you guys think of this? I feel like I now have more options for coral on the rock but also more on the sand.

20190121_145022.jpg

This looks great! Love the changes you made. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the second one better too. You certainly have nice looking rock.

Although, I don't think you need the bridge at the front. If corals grow on that bridge they might obscure those growing behind it and they might also obscure the cool circle opening at the back. It's just something to consider, I guess you could keep the bridge bare.

As for the big circle opening at the back, it could be off center a little more. I'd probably move it to the left a tad (a couple inches), as you seem to be running out of space on the right.  Focal points 'should' be 1/3 in from the left or right. If you care to look it up it's part of 'the rule of thirds'.

michaelbarfield

I think it's awesome. Looks close to mine I'm fixing to post in a few days. And as far as the front arch leave it and do a zoa garden. Will fill in cool I think. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that will be your fishes home for a long time! You'll have a tough time removing them for any reason. :lol:

I do like the scape though. Nice atoll shape.

Is the rock on the glass, or resting on the sandbed?

• 6 months later...