Coral Vue Hydros

Live Rock Hitchhiker

ChrissAnn

I am a newb to saltwater, experienced freshwater.

Anybody know what this is?  it opens and closes and it looks like a worm type of tongue comes out in which you can't see unless you are zoomed up close with a camera or phone.  It spooks with attention and quickly closes, but not like a clam.... more like a scissors.  It's as small as a dime.

Any input is appreciated!

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Back end of a mussel/clam.  I got some KP Aquatics live rock and over a year later a bunch of these mussel with fringed edges started popping up.  I bet they settled before the rock was picked and just took time to grow  and notice. 

• Like 1

Looks like a thorny oyster, Spondylus americanus. Which, is actually a type of scallop, not an oyster at all. Filter feeder, harmless, somewhat difficult to keep alive long term, gets rather large. Cool hitchhiker, congrats.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I put this in the other thread also. 

Barnacle. Not sure of name. 

Where did you find that picture?  Although yours looks similar, I did a search on Barnacles, but am not finding anything pointing to these being in the Barnacle family.  Can you find out more information, Christy.