SaltCritters.com

stocking question 10g

Eli

does anyone have any ideas for stocking a 10 gallon? what does everyone think of this: a clownfish (not tomato or maroon), chalk bass, and a yellow clown goby. if anything should be adjusted please let me know! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Eli said:

does anyone have any ideas for stocking a 10 gallon? what does everyone think of this: a clownfish (not tomato or maroon), chalk bass, and a yellow clown goby. if anything should be adjusted please let me know! 

Looks good except I would cut the chalk bass.  It needs more room and can be aggressive.  🙂

how bout a pair of clowns and a clown goby? i’d be good with one clown too. i really like tanaka pygmy wrasses but one of my good reefer friends said they need bigger tanks. then he suggested the chalk bass because they look kinda similar. i’d like a relaxing tank - something somewhat active but not quick. 

• Like 1
Just now, Eli said:

how bout a pair of clowns and a clown goby? i’d be good with one clown too. i really like tanaka pygmy wrasses but one of my good reefer friends said they need bigger tanks. then he suggested the chalk bass because they look kinda similar. i’d like a relaxing tank - something somewhat active but not quick. 

Two clowns and a goby of some sort would be perfect. 

• Like 2
Just now, Eli said:

i also do like tailspot blennies but i’m so conflicted! too many cool options and not enough room 😂😪

The struggle is real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Eli said:

are there any benefits for having a pair of clowns rather than one? 

I only have one in my 12 gallon and he seems perfectly happy. 🙂

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Eli said:

hm... tailspot blenny, one clown, and one clown goby? probably done in that order too. also the goby would be coming last after i’ve gotten used to everything. 

Actually, it would be better if the clown came in last. Clowns can be territorial once they pick out their 'spot' in the tank.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Eli said:

hm... tailspot blenny, one clown, and one clown goby? probably done in that order too. also the goby would be coming last after i’ve gotten used to everything. 

I like this stock list. If you do get the clown 1st, get a little juvie/baby. Will probably not be aggressive to new tank mates if it is still small. I am guessing you want the clown 1st since they are more beginner friendly. 

Ideally I would do clown goby > tail spot > clown. 

• Like 3
On 1/19/2019 at 8:16 PM, Eli said:

i also do like tailspot blennies but i’m so conflicted! too many cool options and not enough room 😂😪

I vote tailspot blenny! They're so full of personality. Mine was picky with food at first but after a week or two he started pigging out on everything I fed the tank. 

• Haha 1

I've got a red firefish and a yellow clown goby now, and they get along fine. Nice bit of movement and color. You could also consider adding a shrimp like a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp or a blood red fire shrimp. They're more sensitive though, so probably farther down the road.

• Like 1
On 1/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, Eli said:

I wouldn't do a chalk bass in a 10 gallon, but then again I wouldn't stick a clown of any kind in a 10 gallon for it's entire life either.  I would do one small Occ Clown and then a Clown Goby and call it good.  3 fish in a 10 gallon salty tank is a really heavy bioload.  

• Like 2

It really depends on the system.

I mean clowns generally stay in one area once they find their home. 

In my 25g I have a midas and 2 clowns. They all hang out on one side of the tank. 

My clown in the 10g has found his home and now stays there.

I would definitely not add major swimmers to a 10g, it's just often not enough room for them

• Like 1

i’m thinking about doing this now: a pygmy perchlet (also known as geometric hawkfish) and a tailspot blenny. i change my mind very often lol. do you guys think this would work out? i know they both perch... 

23 minutes ago, Eli said:

i’m thinking about doing this now: a pygmy perchlet (also known as geometric hawkfish) and a tailspot blenny. i change my mind very often lol. do you guys think this would work out? i know they both perch... 

Don't TSBs need a fair bit of algae to graze on? Like more in the 20g range? I haven't kept them before, but I've read that.

• Like 1