Coral Vue Hydros

New clownfish not eating for a week

manper624

So i set up my first saltwater tank on the endings of November. I bought live rock from my lfs and sand. I set it up and cycled it and a couple if weeks later i added live stock. I got a yellow glown goby and an emerald crab. Both of the are ok and eating till this day, but i got a clownfish last week at my lfs to add to the stock. At the lfs he was with many other clownfish and looked pretty healthy. Once i brought him home i temperature acclimated and dripped acclimated for 30 to 40 min. He seemed alright when i put him in, not as perky as in the lfs though. I tried feeding him the next day, but he wouldn't accept it, i thought he was still acclimating, so i left him alone. I kept on trying each day but still refused. I tried feeding him flakes and frozen mysis. I made garlic juice and added to the food to see if he would eat it, but he didn't. I see him try to go for food but he quickly loses intrest. I saw him eat a piece of mysis but then he spiting it out and tried eating it again but he spit it out. To add onto that he had white stringy poop a day or so after i put him in, and also i saw him vibrate his body and layed on his side for a sec and came back up, but he only did this once. He stays near the sand bed. His body looks thin and his dorsal and pelvic fins are not stretched out. What should i do?

Is it possible he's been bullied or stressed by any other tank mates (some emerald crabs can be bullies)? Try posting your tank params too as well as what you use for water. 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

The white stringy poop might indicate an intestinal parasite.  It might also just be the stress of moving to a new tank.  New fish are often very picky with food.  Also, verify that the ammonia level is undetectable.

I know that I stopped buying fish locally due to disease.  Hard to say when they even got it.  It might have just arrived at the LFS and hasn't eaten anything since it was wild caught.

Not really sure, but I'd keep trying and remove the left over food.  How does he act when flow is turned off?  You might try that during one of your feedings.  Maybe leave the tank lights off or turn them down to reduce stress.

Post a pic if you can.  Good luck.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Coinee said:

Is it possible he's been bullied or stressed by any other tank mates (some emerald crabs can be bullies)? Try posting your tank params too as well as what you use for water. 

The emerald crab doesn't bother him, he stays in the rock work most of the time, and what do you mean by " what you use for water"?

49 minutes ago, manper624 said:

The emerald crab doesn't bother him, he stays in the rock work most of the time, and what do you mean by " what you use for water"?

Sorry, I mean do you use distilled, RODI or tap water?

On 1/19/2019 at 12:33 AM, manper624 said:

So i set up my first saltwater tank on the endings of November. I bought live rock from my lfs and sand. I set it up and cycled it and a couple if weeks later i added live stock. I got a yellow glown goby and an emerald crab. Both of the are ok and eating till this day, but i got a clownfish last week at my lfs to add to the stock. At the lfs he was with many other clownfish and looked pretty healthy. Once i brought him home i temperature acclimated and dripped acclimated for 30 to 40 min. He seemed alright when i put him in, not as perky as in the lfs though. I tried feeding him the next day, but he wouldn't accept it, i thought he was still acclimating, so i left him alone. I kept on trying each day but still refused. I tried feeding him flakes and frozen mysis. I made garlic juice and added to the food to see if he would eat it, but he didn't. I see him try to go for food but he quickly loses intrest. I saw him eat a piece of mysis but then he spiting it out and tried eating it again but he spit it out. To add onto that he had white stringy poop a day or so after i put him in, and also i saw him vibrate his body and layed on his side for a sec and came back up, but he only did this once. He stays near the sand bed. His body looks thin and his dorsal and pelvic fins are not stretched out. What should i do?

Sounds exactly like internal parasites, he needs to be treated with prazipro asap. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK73254-Prazipro-Aquarium/dp/B004LOBGYA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=prazipro&qid=1547976447&s=Pet+Supplies&sr=1-2

• Like 2

I got a clown once that would just not eat. Tried all types of food. I treated with prazipro and api general cure. It didn’t act spunky like they usually do, and just hovered in the water oblivious, barely reacting to anything. That was my fault for not watching it more at the store. 

It stayed alive for two weeks before it couldnt keep itself upright and I put it down.

It didnt have any disease that I could tell. I think something, somewhere in the supply chain happened. Maybe too much of whatever drug they use to treat fish before putting in their system. I think sometimes theres just fish, or fish batches that get messed up along the way. When I look back at my trip there, I remember the associate nudging me to the other clown tank, but I already picked what I wanted and didn’t think anything of it. 

Next time, I went to a different store and picked the spunkiest little feller I could find.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:54 AM, seabass said:

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

The white stringy poop might indicate an intestinal parasite.  It might also just be the stress of moving to a new tank.  New fish are often very picky with food.  Also, verify that the ammonia level is undetectable.

I know that I stopped buying fish locally due to disease.  Hard to say when they even got it.  It might have just arrived at the LFS and hasn't eaten anything since it was wild caught.

Not really sure, but it keep trying and remove the left over food.  How does he act when flow is turned off?  You might try that during one of your feedings.  Maybe leave the tank lights off or turn them down to reduce stress.

Post a pic if you can.  Good luck.

Update : (sorry for late response)

Yesterday i went to my lfs to test my water and they told me that the parameters were fine except the ph, he showed me the vile and said the ph is too low (i saw the color and compared it to the chart and the ph was 7.2). He suggested that i get a buffer to raise the ph and check back to see if the ph is raised. I bought it and started dosing immediately. I told him about my clown stated that ph could have caused him to be stressed and not eat. (I tried feeding again but no success). 

Today i went to petco to buy some medicine for parasites and couldn't find prazi like some suggested so i bought a different kind, hope it works. Also i did a freshwater dip to see if it helps with getting rid of the parasite, it seems to have helped because his fins arent clamped and he isnt hanging out near the sand bed anymore, all he needs is to eat. 

You typically don't need to buffer pH, although 7.2 is actually pretty low.  Normally this only happens when the tank is still cycling.  I assume they tested for ammonia, but ammonia would be a good guess as to what is happening.  Have you tested for ammonia to confirm?

53 minutes ago, manper624 said:

Today i went to petco to buy some medicine for parasites and couldn't find prazi like some suggested so i bought a different kind, hope it works.

I'd say that most meds need to be administered in a hospital tank (because they could affect the biological filter, or inverts in the tank, or bind to the calcium in the rock and sand).  What was the medication that you picked up?