Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP!! Seriously...

Smokey

So I've had this 10 gallon nano for 4 1/2 months now I've had some up and downs. I've lost 4 fish. 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma, and 1 black molly, NOT ALL WERE IN THERE AT THE SAME TIME. AFTER THE CLOWFISH and Royal gramma Died, i bought a Black molly because of the fact i had no fish in there and i missed the feeling. 1 day later he has ICH!! Later that night he dies. I acclimated him for 12 hours tirelessly. So my questions are if I CAN REPLACE THE EXISTING SAND WITH NON LIVE SAND WHICH WILL NOT CONTAIN ICH? AND WHY DO MY FISH KEEP ON DYING??  My future for this tank is to have 1 clown fish and im afraid for him to contract ich! Please help me out

DSCN1182.JPG

DSCN1183.JPG

DSCN1184.JPG

DSCN1185.JPG

Pulling the sand will not get rid of ich. You need to go fallow and hold off on new fish going in.  

Like said above, some more details are needed.  We would also need to get some details on what the fish were like before dying, where they came from, how long you had them, etc. 

• Like 2

Agree with the above posters(let’s start at the beginning of your journey) and 12 hour acclimation is an extremely long time for a fish to be acclimated. There are varying opinions on this some don’t do any acclimation except for temp others do a longer one for salinity but never heard of 12 hours. Some very expierienced people on here with for sure help you out

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Well first of all post your water parameters, and tell us how you cycled. The more information you provide will make it easier to diagnose your issues.

I cycled using 2 turbo snails which 1 of them is still alive. With Natures Ocean Bio Active Live Aragonite sand. 

24 minutes ago, patback said:

Pulling the sand will not get rid of ich. You need to go fallow and hold off on new fish going in.  

Like said above, some more details are needed.  We would also need to get some details on what the fish were like before dying, where they came from, how long you had them, etc. 

I will hold off on putting fish in there but how will i know if its safe for it? Also i got my 2 clownfish at a small petstore, infact the only one in Key Largo, the Royal Gramma in a LFS and as well as the Black Molly.

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I don’t even know what that means?

This means the beneficial bacteria fed off of the ammonia the snails produced

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I will hold off on putting fish in there but how will i know if its safe for it? Also i got my 2 clownfish at a small petstore, infact the only one in Key Largo, the Royal Gramma in a LFS and as well as the Black Molly.

This means the beneficial bacteria fed off of the ammonia the snails produced

You're tank did not cycle that way.  Sorry to say it.  The good news is, your rock looks matured.  I forget the time frame, but I believe the time needed for all phases of the ich life cycle to be dead is around 76 days.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, patback said:

You're tank did not cycle that way.  Sorry to say it.  The good news is, your rock looks matured.  I forget the time frame, but I believe the time needed for all phases of the ich life cycle to be dead is around 76 days.  

Exactly.

The ich is still there. Lots of good threads on how to properly treat.  

1 minute ago, patback said:

OMFG!! Will i be able to gradually add in 1 or 2 corals?

Let’s makes this easy. 

Take out any fish and QT with your choice of ich treatment 

Dont put anything else in the tank for 80 days. 

Reintroduce fish after 80 days. 

If you put anything in your tank you will have to restart the 80 day time cycle. 

In order to keep your tank biological filtration up without fish ghost feed the tank for 80 days.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

Let’s makes this easy. 

Take out any fish and QT with your choice of ich treatment 

Dont put anything else in the tank for 80 days. 

Reintroduce fish after 80 days. 

If you put anything in your tank you will have to restart the 80 day time cycle. 

In order to keep your tank biological filtration up without fish ghost feed the tank for 80 days.

Should i just leave my inverts in there instead of ghost feeding? I have no fish in there.

Edited by Smokey
Forgot 1 little thing
18 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Should i just leave my inverts in there instead of ghost feeding? I have no fish in there.

Inverts don’t get ich. Ich needs fish to survive. Without fish the ich will eventually die out. 

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Imo the inverts will not create as much ammonia as a fish or ghost feeding. However there is no reason for the inverts to be removed and I believe the bacteria should not die off. However it may be helpful to ghost feed to help boost your biological bacteria.

Just now, Slim64684 said:

Imo the inverts will not create as much ammonia as a fish or ghost feeding. However there is no reason for the inverts to be removed and I believe the bacteria should not die off. However it may be helpful to ghost feed to help boost your biological bacteria.

What should i ghost feed with? Will regular marine flakes work well?

The plus side to all of this is you have plenty of time to do proper research and education while waiting for the ich to be gone. Use this time wisely and you won't have as many issues. 

30 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Yes. Any kind of food. Just be mindful of your ammonia, nitrate and phosphate levels

1 minute ago, Coinee said:

The plus side to all of this is you have plenty of time to do proper research and education while waiting for the ich to be gone. Use this time wisely and you won't have as many issues. 

Thank you I'll make sure i will!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Smokey said:

You can also buy Dr. Tim's ammonia drops on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547868682&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+tim+ammonia

The benefit to the drops is that they won't scum up or cloud the tank at all. 

• Thanks 1

The tank is most likely cycled by this point. It's been 4 mnths. You've had fish that died which produced ammonia when they peed, pooped, and died.

You have living things in the tank now - shrimp, corals snails, don't dose ammonia-

that will kill them and the good bacteria that has already developed.

The original fish you added most likely had ich or another parasite and then every other fish added got it and died too.

The tank must go fishless(fallow) for 8 weeks before another fish is added. That fish should be quarantined before being added to prevent this happening again.

Feed your shrimp 1-2 times a week while the tank has no fish.

During this fishless period, would be a good time to do research.

5 hours ago, Coinee said:

You can also buy Dr. Tim's ammonia drops on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547868682&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+tim+ammonia

The benefit to the drops is that they won't scum up or cloud the tank at all. 

If there is corals and inverts- any life in the tank, ammonia should not be dosed. It will kill it.