inTank Media Baskets

Yellow tang question

Noobreefer90

23 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

No, but they’re famous for dying when noobs irresponsibly put them into small aquariums. Look anywhere online...

🙂 

Good to know 

• Like 2

Yellow tangs get to 8" and require 100g.

They need a lot of swimming room, eat a lot of seaweed, and poop a lot.

Your tank is too small for a tang. 

Certain fish shouldn't not be placed in tanks that don't meet the fishes requirements.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

C47856CE-0A72-49D0-874D-EDAC02505935.thumb.jpeg.73bdde308733c6b1f66a5bdf4d412147.jpeg

Did someone want to make a report?

4 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Reporting for duty 

TangPolice.jpg&key=bc56f1b12b5ceee65295c

I’m not sure if you have jurisdiction here. 👮🏻‍♀️

• Haha 2

Tangs travel great distances in the wild in groups... your tank is so small it can't possibly behave natural or get a good running start w/o crashing into a wall.

I would suggest trading it in for a nano sized fish. Yellow Assessor Basslets are nice bright yellow fish if yellow is what you are looking for. 

Quiet honestly large fish in small tanks looks unnatural and makes the tank look even smaller than it is. It is just not appealing to the eye. This is why freshwater aquascape artists use tiny fish to make small tanks appear larger than they are.

• Like 3
On 1/18/2019 at 4:39 PM, Noobreefer90 said:

Just picked up a large yellow tang and I have a open top tank with just a little flap on front of tank so most it’s open. Are tangs famous for jumping?DC51122F-B9E3-4FED-913B-1CF65E866B76.thumb.jpeg.ce4554b0f135d87059f0e022a64656f7.jpegE4DFCE20-15E1-4407-8BBF-5DC42EF8CE23.thumb.png.ff97d146d7c5065344ea20c3d4104000.png

If you don't believe the above, take it from a former Yellow Tang owner, who had a Yellow Tang that wasn't half grown take over his entire 90 gallon tank in less than a month.  Initially it was fine and did well with it's tank mates.  Then I noticed a chunk missing from the lower fin of my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel and white "scratch marks" appear on him as well.  I wasn't sure what the scratch marks were until I saw my Yellow Tang back up and slap it with it's tail scalpel and a new scratch appeared.  It would also flare it's fins around my Melanurus Wrasse.   The point is that it was an absolute butthead of a fish and it wasn't even half grown in a tank that is roughly 3 times the size of yours.  Any Tang in a small tank is a bad idea, but Yellows are one of the worst since they are one of the more aggressive Tangs. 

As for an open top?   It's an accident waiting to happen.  One of the biggest myths in the hobby is the concept of "Jumper or Non-Jumper" when the correct term is "More Prone or Less Prone." 

• Like 3