SaltCritters.com

Corals for beginners???

mtnbikeracer

Try to find a small rock and GSP for cheap. I did that and its soooo cool under blue actinic lighting but you have to seperate on another rock or it will over time take it over. Mine looks like this

DSCN1192.JPG

30 minutes ago, mtnbikeracer said:

I'm going to do some research and come up with a list of corals that are beginner friendly. Thanks for the start with the GSP.

No problem just keep in mind if you are going to get them they like high flow and will get by with medium, the reason why is they tend to grow algae and detritus on their base

2 hours ago, mtnbikeracer said:

Is there a sticky or thread regarding corals for beginners? I did a search, but didn't come up with anything.  If not, might be a good addition.

I would go to Live Aquaria or Blue Zoo Aquatics..... they both have livestock listed for beginners.  Lots of good info. 

I believe Vivid Aquariums have some excellent videos on different types of beginners corals.  

There are alot of corals that are fairly easy to keep. 

Gsp (spreads quickly so keep it isolated)

Xenia (same thing)

Leathers

Mushrooms

Blastos

Hammers

Frogspawn

• Like 3

3So I spent about 3 hours last night looking at corals for beginners. Here is what I came up with. Some are duplicate to what @Clown79 posted.

Soft Corals

Cateye Zoanthid           moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 100-250) 

Green Star Polyp          moderate water flow and moderate lighting (PAR 130-250)

Large Polyp Stony

Neon Green Trumpet  

War Coral                       moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 120-250) 

Blastomussa                  moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 120-250)

Duncan                           moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 120-250)

Candy Cane                    moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 150-250)

Hammer                         moderate water flow and moderate lighting (PAR 150-250

Frog Spawn                    moderate water flow and moderate lighting (PAR 150-250)

Favia                                moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 120-250)

Scolys                              low water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 100-220)

Acanthos                         moderate water flow and low to moderate lighting (PAR 120-250)

Bubble Coral                  low to moderate water flow and moderate lighting (PAR 150-250

Small Polyp Stony

Montipora                      moderate to high water flow and bright lighting (PAR 250-400)

Madman Austera          moderate to high water flow and bright lighting (PAR 300-450)

Pink Lemonade             moderate to high water flow and bright lighting (PAR 300-450)

WWC Blueberry Fields 

WWC Snowdrop Acro   

CB Pink Tip                     high water flow and bright lighting

Green Slimer                  high water flow and bright lighting

Pavona coral                  moderate to high water flow and bright lighting (PAR 250-350)

• Like 2

Just keep injnd that a lot of "beginner" corals can end up being pests and/or something you don't really want. 

Don't get something just because it's a do called beginner coral. 

• Like 1

Personally I think everyone should start the hobby with a softy tank or softy and some lps. Softies for the most part are forgiving and can look just as amazing as sps. Plus alot of softies can have a real nice movement to them under flow. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mtnbikeracer said:

So I spent about 3 hours last night looking at corals for beginners. Here is what I came up with. Some are duplicate to what @Clown79 posted.

Soft Corals

Cateye Zoanthid

Green Star Polyp

Large Polyp Stony

Neon Green Trumpet

War Coral

Blastomussa

Elegance

Duncan

Candy Cane

Hammer

Frog Spawn

Favia

Scolys

Acanthos

Small Polyp Stony

Montipora

Madman Austera

Pink Lemonade

WWC Blueberry Fields

WWC Snowdrop Acro

CB Pink Tip

Looks good except Elegance is not beginner friendly imo. 

Green Slimer is often the beginner acro chosen. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Looks good except Elegance is not beginner friendly imo. 

Green Slimer is often the beginner acro chosen. 

Changes to the list made. Thank you