Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoanthids inhibited by coralline?

Jon-Paul

So my scrambled egg zoanthids which were previously doing great have been closed up for almost a week. One polyp has finally extended but the larger polyp has not, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the large wad of coralline algae that is encrusting around the main polyp.

The polyp in question is on the central plug in the pic and the algae is surrounding it on the north and west side of the largest polyp of three. The polyp to the north east of that is a baby and opened a few times, and the poly in the south east of the pic has been opening since I moved the plug into an area of higher flow.

I pulled up an older picture of a shot at night of the polyp and I don't remember the algae growth being as extreme as it is now. It really looks like it is encroaching on the polyp.

IMG_4819.thumb.JPG.303180dfca4f4c0dbae5d8de42be2b14.JPG

Should I scrape it off with a razor blade/ knife? Or, just leave it be?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jon-Paul said:

So my scrambled egg zoanthids which were previously doing great have been closed up for almost a week. One polyp has finally extended but the larger polyp has not, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the large wad of coralline algae that is encrusting around the main polyp.

The polyp in question is on the central plug in the pic and the algae is surrounding it on the north and west side of the largest polyp of three. The polyp to the north east of that is a baby and opened a few times, and the poly in the south east of the pic has been opening since I moved the plug into an area of higher flow.

I pulled up an older picture of a shot at night of the polyp and I don't remember the algae growth being as extreme as it is now. It really looks like it is encroaching on the polyp.

IMG_4819.thumb.JPG.303180dfca4f4c0dbae5d8de42be2b14.JPG

Should I scrape it off with a razor blade/ knife? Or, just leave it be?

i would leave it alone.  zoas are moody.

• Like 1

Coraline algae is the foundation of reefs. Without it, other algae would cover over hard surfaces, preventing coral eggs from establishing. So, no. It's not the reason your zoas are closed up.

• Like 1

Yeah its more than likely not the algae,Zoa's are...tempermental to say the least,give them a few days. 

Anything could be making them mad,probably some pesky pods messing with them. 

• Like 1

Update:

They've started to open up. I think it has to do with me slowly increasing the dKH over the past few days. Overall, all of my corals seem healthier.

Thanks for the replies! 🍻