Innovative Marine Aquariums

Traveling 'Nem....

FlytheWMark

I bought a new bubble tipped anemone a few weeks ago and of course he travelled and planted in a less than ideal location in my rocks.  I've been tweaking the powerhead to try and get him to move to no avail.  My other option is to move the powerhead to the other side of the tank close to him and give him the a bit more incentive to move but I'm afraid that will push him to an even worse place.  Any idea how to safely "sour the milk" to get him to a better location for viewing? 

2019-01-10 21.20.16.jpg

Lol. Gotta love when they move.

My 2 rfa's went on the move when I changed my lights...the really pretty 1 planted himself on the front glass.

Apparently tickling the foot can help them move.

• Like 1

Is he bothering anything or are you looking to move in a place where he is better visible?

You could definitely get him to move with the “flow tactic” however changes are he will move somewhere else or even back there if he likes it.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Daniel91 said:

Is he bothering anything or are you looking to move in a place where he is better visible?

You could definitely get him to move with the “flow tactic” however changes are he will move somewhere else or even back there if he likes it.

Yes just trying to get him more visible.... @clown79 .. never thought I'd hear "tickling feet" on this board 😉 . I may try and get creative with some flow to push him up a little more and see if that works.  Was just wondering if anyone had easy tricks... nothing is easy I guess 😂

• 3 weeks later...

He moved back there for a reason, not just to be inconveniently out of view. 😉 Figure out why before you try to force anything.

If you want, post more about your tank such as test results for NO3, PO4, etc as well as anything about the tank's setup or history that seems related to you.

How old is the tank?  How much light is the tank giving?

Depends on where it is, but you can put a small piece of rock over top of them and they will sometimes walk out on top of it. Once it's on top of the new rock, you can very, very slowly adjust them to where you want them. Once they are in place and adjusted, they will never move unless something drastic happens.

I used this method to get all but one of my nems where I wanted them.

That’s pretty good idea, I have had them in the before it seem to move every 6 months or so, I don’t think staying in one place is a sure thing,  but some people have said they have had one that haven’t moved in 2 years but it’s very rare for this to happen I think

I successfully moved him, moved my powerhead to blast him, tickled the foot and finally got him loose. Put him where I wanted, he started to move down (which was going to be bad) moved my powerhead again to prevent him moving down, he moved up a little and is now happy (and very visible).  Funny creatures!

1 hour ago, St3 said:

That’s pretty good idea, I have had them in the before it seem to move every 6 months or so, I don’t think staying in one place is a sure thing,  but some people have said they have had one that haven’t moved in 2 years but it’s very rare for this to happen I think

None of the 4 nems in my tank have moved more than an inch in more than 3 years since the last time I moved and re-scaped my tank and all 4 of them are on a single rock placed exactly where I want it. I used the cover method I described above and spent a few months moving the rock with all 4 nems on it where I wanted them. When you choose a rock and location for them to live on, make sure they can easily expose themselves to as much or as little light and/or flow as they want by only moving no more than a couple inches. Also, place the rock so that it makes them hard to move away from their new home. You can box them in using flow.

Basically, give them everything they need and make it harder for them to leave than it is to just make due with the space they have. They may slightly adjust, but they won't just go on a walkabout and wreak havoc on your tank.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

None of the 4 nems in my tank have moved more than an inch in more than 3 years since the last time I moved and re-scaped my tank and all 4 of them are on a single rock placed exactly where I want it. I used the cover method I described above and spent a few months moving the rock with all 4 nems on it where I wanted them. When you choose a rock and location for them to live on, make sure they can easily expose themselves to as much or as little light and/or flow as they want by only moving no more than a couple inches. Also, place the rock so that it makes them hard to move away from their new home. You can box them in using flow.

Basically, give them everything they need and make it harder for them to leave than it is to just make due with the space they have. They may slightly adjust, but they won't just go on a walkabout and wreak havoc on your tank.

This.