Cultivated Reef

R2's Fluval Evo 13.5

R2Dork

Let me start off by saying that this is basically my first real saltwater tank. Started off in early November because my son kept asking for a HUGE saltwater tank for Christmas. My first reaction was... Nope. Too big. Too expensive. 😄 But after doing some more research, I realized a nano reef might be doable. Turns out I was only right about the size.

Here's my current list of stuffs. I'll update as things change.

Lighting:
Current Orbit Marine (v2) - Used to have this up on the bracket, which made it easier to get into the water, but lower is brighter is better. Overall, it's better than the stock light, but here's a secret... I ordered a NanoBox Mini.

Return pump:
Sicce Syncra 0.5
Eheim CompactOn 1000
Back to stock. The others I've tried were too loud, or too hot, or both.

Random flow generator from VCA - Looks like a trumpet, but it works.

Powerhead:
Current eFlux 6660 - Hooks up to the Loop light controls and has been a cheap/quiet way to get the water moving in different patterns and strengths.

Chamber 1:
InTank media basket with filter floss, purigen, and chempure elite.

Chamber 2:

Made this a little refugium because I don't know what I'm doing and thought it would be cool.
InTank basket with chaeto and some MarinePure Gems. (I'll probably lose the gems, just felt like I should try putting something in the extra shelf)

Innovative Marine ChaetoMax light (12 hour cycle, opposite of the display lights).

Chamber 3:

Return pump

Cobalt NeoTherm 75w

Smart ATO Micro sensor and fill line

The rest of it:
Innovative Marine DIY Screen Top
Caribsea and Nature's Ocean live sands, mixed. I think I might have too much sand, but I don't want to mess with it at this point

13 lbs of fake live rock. Just like the substrate, I wonder if this is too much. I remembered reading somewhere about a pound of rock per gallon of water, but that's just.. like... someone's opinion... man.

Janitors:
2 blue-legged hermit crabs

2 Trochus snails

5 tiny Nassarius snails

Skunk shrimp

Fire shrimp
Loved both of these shrimp, but they both *vanished* after their first molt. Might try again when the tank settles in more.

Fish:
Little orange clown - Frisbee
Slightly larger black clown - Licorice

Royal Gramma - Plumb

I know I'm pushing it with the fish in this tank size, but they all seem happy so far. This is it, I promise.

Coral:
Torch
Hammer

Blastomussa

GSP

Spitfire Favia

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoa - Melted

Red Bull Zoa

Green Birdsnest

1-18-19:

IMG_20190118_105015.thumb.jpg.48019af988bc93a534a9e95ad8ded0c0.jpg

2-01-19:
Minor update: Scraped all the honeycomb off of the display area. This looks so much better! Sorry the sand is so dirty... Turkey baster blaster and water change tomorrow!

IMG_20190201_162151.thumb.jpg.5417e2931f0f99f66ea2115871863e5a.jpg

Edited by R2Dork
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Wow! Great rockscape!

How did you get them to stick like that. Looks like one big rock!

Thanks! The big arch is just two curved pieces that are interlocked in puzzle-piece fashion. I was going to epoxy them together, but they're actually very stable and I thought it might be easier to remove in pieces should the need arise.

• Like 1

Since I just set up the ATO the other day, here's a full tank shot and pics of the reservoir.

IMG_20190118_150913.thumb.jpg.900562938f31c9c5e1ee5e4a5de579ce.jpg

Where's the water for the ATO? Who could possibly know?

Wait, what's this?

IMG_20190118_105123.thumb.jpg.dd0b1880326e57b0a4f43f802afd2876.jpg

*Gasp!*

IMG_20190118_105139.thumb.jpg.5beef6222b67369ff119217205b41baf.jpg

Happy with how this turned out. It's 4 gallons of water, so it should last me a few days. Here's links to the items, for the curious:

Smart ATO
Ottoman
Water container

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Like how you hid the water container.  Did you have to drill a hole in the jug for power cord or tubing?  How long will the 4g of water last you?

Thanks for sharing!

Is your 4 cubby cube stand from Target? I  believe have the same stand with a fluval evo 5 gal on it currently, and I am upgrading to a IM nuvo 10 cube. I’m weary about using this stand because the weight limit said 100lbs, any concerns with this? Tank looks great by the way, love the hidden ATO container. 

@Cal559 Didn't have to drill any holes. The one you see in the picture is for the spigot that came with the jug. I'm about 1/3 through the 4 gallons and it's been just a little over 2 weeks, but ymmv.

@Ckane2 The stand is an Ikea Kallax. I had seen someone else with this tank on a Kallax, and I already had one so that made the decision easier. I'm not worried about the weight, but since it's particle board I think the bigger concern is making sure it doesn't get wet. I have a piece of yoga mat on top that acts as a water barrier and slight cushion. No issues so far! 🙂

Just replaced my Current Marine with a NanoBox Mini and loving it so far! Also found a pump that puts out a little more GPH over stock but doesn't make too much noise, the Hydor Centrifugal 200. Added a Frogspawn while I was at the LFS picking up more clean-up crew.

IMG_20190216_124048.thumb.jpg.46c6139b3325efdd8ef2c9d957745d88.jpg

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been very bad at keeping this post/thread up to date! To answer a few of these more recent questions:

@tkw1978 - I'm currently running a ReefGlass nano skimmer

@Jakemichael - I just used a scraper tool with a straight edge razor on the end. Be careful not to get any of that junk in the tank!

@Corky - I believe I got the 1/2" model from VCA with a couple extra pieces of locline.

• 7 months later...

I’m currently just starting a fluval 13.5 tank. The plan is to make it a reef tank with live rock coral and some fish. Currently I have in the tank..

Caribe live sand about 1 inch bed 

12 pounds of dry rock

fluval heater 

fluval wave maker 

I used natures ocean water to begin the cycle. 
its been cycling for about three days now and the water is clear and the test are within parameters. I’m thinking about adding a damsel soon. I want to know if there are any recommendations as far as for the media basket should I upgrade it and have two media baskets and if so what should be in them. Especially that’s recommended for a reef thank being my goal is to have coras frags etc.. also is it better two have two media baskets vs one basket and a protein skimmer or two baskets? Any advice as to well as any additional upgrades that will be needed and help maintain the tank is appreciated being im new to the reef tank setup. Thanks 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

im aslo curious how you like the reef glass skimmer, ive heard the ps2 is fine but a skimmer is not required in a 13.5 gallon tank. I’m not worried about cost more just want the tank to be as stable as possible.  In regards to the return pump the hydor centrifugal 300 is the best optoin I believe. It’s awesome seeing a current thread on the 13.5!

@Canesfan89 start with just a clean up crew like a couple hermit crabs and some snails I would not rush the small tanks. With the question on the center section of the rear section of of tank, I remove the huge filter sponge deal and replace it with quality media. You can go so many ways with media but good bio media and a small amount of carbon will go a long way.  I really good upgrade for any aquarium like @R2Dork was talking about is an ATO to keep perimeters more stable I use a tunze 5017 with the optic eye and a safety float switch. Good luck with the tank updates would be great!

• 1 year later...