ReefCleaners.org

Leopard Toby Puffer

12scanlon

Today I ordered a Leopard Toby Puffer from Live Aquaria. I am going to be adding some small pieces of dry rock to my scape so he has some more hiding spaces. Other than this does anyone have additional advice or comments on their care. I also have an abundance of vermetid snails so hopefully he will take care of these as well as being a cool tank inhabitant. Thanks everyone!Image result for leopard toby puffer

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Rock up against the glass will get annoying for cleaning. I am not sure if the tank size is deceiving but it honestly looks small for a toby puffer long term. They are quite active. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Rock up against the glass will get annoying for cleaning. I am not sure if the tank size is deceiving but it honestly looks small for a toby puffer long term. They are quite active. 

I agree... I am going to have to chip some of the rock away and move the bottom rock further right. For the next week or two i’m going to leave it like this while he puffer gets used to my tank. Also, I have done quite a bit of research on the leopard toby puffer and they only get to a max of 3 inches. A regular toby puffer gets to about 5 inches. I ordered a small one too 1”-2” and plan on upgrading tanks in the near future and can move the toby over if needed. I’m pretty sure teeny reef kept one successfully in a 10 gallon nuvo for a while.

12 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

I agree... I am going to have to chip some of the rock away and move the bottom rock further right. For the next week or two i’m going to leave it like this while he puffer gets used to my tank. Also, I have done quite a bit of research on the leopard toby puffer and they only get to a max of 3 inches. A regular toby puffer gets to about 5 inches. I ordered a small one too 1”-2” and plan on upgrading tanks in the near future and can move the toby over if needed. I’m pretty sure teeny reef kept one successfully in a 10 gallon nuvo for a while.

He moved it to his big tank. It certainly shouldn't live it's natural life span in a 10g. I really don't think it was in there that terribly long.

They are small but it is their swimming habits that demand a bigger tank.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

He moved it to his big tank. It certainly shouldn't live it's natural life span in a 10g. I really don't think it was in there that terribly long.

They are small but it is their swimming habits that demand a bigger tank.

ok! I will definently upgrade my tank as it gets bigger. I agree that it would be inhumane to house it in too small of a tank. thanks for the advice.

• Like 1