Coral Vue Hydros

How often WC going with no skimmer?

HighChiefKC

Out of Hobby for way too long and getting back in with my old nano cube. I think it’s 24 g. I was missing pieces to the stock skimmer so I’ve just decided to skip the skimmer and rely solely on water changes.  My question is, in doing this, how often should I do a water change and how much water should I change? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

There are so many ways to maintain a reef.

Some need skimmers while others don't. Some tanks require weekly maintenance, others can go longer.

It depends on the bioload and set up.

Common is 10-20% weekly waterchanges.

I have been doing mine every 2 weeks lately which has been a benefit to my tanks.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, HighChiefKC said:

Out of Hobby for way too long and getting back in with my old nano cube. I think it’s 24 g. I was missing pieces to the stock skimmer so I’ve just decided to skip the skimmer and rely solely on water changes.  My question is, in doing this, how often should I do a water change and how much water should I change? 

Thanks!

I have no skimmer and no filter .....on my 12 gallon I change every other week.  On my 75 gallon I change about once a month. ( I do roughly 30% changes. )

• Like 2

Starting out I would go with weekly. This will allow a buffer if you are feeding too much and other beginnings that need to be tweaked. I would go with 5g changes. 

Hope this helps!

As often as needed.

ok snarky answer aside, too many variables.  I would pick a schedule (weekly) and monitor the tank, adjust, monitor, etc....

welcome back!

skyscraper2290

I am running a skimmerless set up on a 20G AIO cube with probably about 16-17G of water after accounting for rock and sand. I do 2 approximate 15% WCs a week and it’s been working really well. As the tank has been maturing I have been thinking about going to once a week but I like the added stability by doing 2 a week. I do dose 1.5ml of NoPox for added nutrient control but no other chemical filtration (Purigen, chemipure, etc...).

As long are you aren't going full blown sps,I would say weekly 15-20% water changes. Most creatures are pretty tolerable of params outside of Acro's,for the most part.