SaltCritters.com

Does recommended tank size (gallons) vary with dimensions?

KatieM

Hey guys,

While I'm planning my first reef I've been thinking a lot about size in terms of gallons/liters vs surface area, depth, length, etc. 

The main reason I bring this up is I want to plan my tank based upon my future inhabitants, and I'm a huge sucker for clowns so I want to create an environment where a pair of ocellaris or perculas can thrive. I know the common thought is that 20 gallons is ideally the smallest environment for them, but with all these new styles coming out, would that start to change based on dimensions? To me it seams like they'd be happier in a more broad and shallow 15 gallon than a super tall and skinny 25. I guess I'm just rambling now lol but it's been on my mind. 

More specifically, what do you think about a pair of clowns in a 10 gallon, 24 x 14 x 7 inch, format? I'm strongly considering getting a UNS 60s for a reef, and I've seen people put clowns in an ADA 60f even though they're smaller. My main concern is that while great when they're small, at 3 inches would the height be too short for them to really enjoy swimming?

I want my livestock to be happy, and if that means getting a different set-up so be it, but man are shallow tanks nice 😉

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, KatieM said:

Hey guys,

While I'm planning my first reef I've been thinking a lot about size in terms of gallons/liters vs surface area, depth, length, etc. 

The main reason I bring this up is I want to plan my tank based upon my future inhabitants, and I'm a huge sucker for clowns so I want to create an environment where a pair of ocellaris or perculas can thrive. I know the common thought is that 20 gallons is ideally the smallest environment for them, but with all these new styles coming out, would that start to change based on dimensions? To me it seams like they'd be happier in a more broad and shallow 15 gallon than a super tall and skinny 25. I guess I'm just rambling now lol but it's been on my mind. 

More specifically, what do you think about a pair of clowns in a 10 gallon, 24 x 14 x 7 inch, format? I'm strongly considering getting a UNS 60s for a reef, and I've seen people put clowns in an ADA 60f even though they're smaller. My main concern is that while great when they're small, at 3 inches would the height be too short for them to really enjoy swimming?

I want my livestock to be happy, and if that means getting a different set-up so be it, but man are shallow tanks nice 😉

It depends on the tank but I think it’s doable.  I have a long shallow tank and love it. 😊

I had 2 in a 10g. I only reduced to 1 because 1 was really, really mean.

I think 2 clowns in a 20g is ok. They don't swim around much once they find their "spot".

I had 2 in a 15g and they stayed in 1 corner. Then I upgraded to a 25g, they are still in 1 corner.  Lol. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's as much about the space they have as the ability to maintain good water quality.  Clownfish don't travel too far once they've matured.  Maintaining the water quality becomes more challenging the smaller the volume - temperature can be more erratic, oxygen levels and pH fluctuate more day to night, nutrient accumulation happens faster (clownfish are little piggies), biofiltration is more limited, and the absorption of contaminants can build up more quickly (from candles or air fresheners, cleaning chemicals, lotion on your hands when you touch the water, or any other pollutants that find their way into the air).

• Like 1