Cultivated Reef

Hi there 👋

KatieM

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been a years long lurker, but am finally planning on starting my first reef. 

Growing up on the coast of South Carolina instilled a love for marine environments at a very young age, and I've been reading these forums since I was barely a teen about starting a nano reef. Almost ten years later I'm finally able to take the plunge. 

I'm now an oceanography student so time is on the tight side but in a couple of weeks I'll be moved into townhouse where I can finally start this journey. Currently battling myself on whether I want to shell out more $$ on a rimless setup or if I should start out with a budget build as this is my first marine tank. I just bought a UNS 60s for a paludarium project for my betta, so money and attention will be shared there as well. 

In the meantime, enjoy some photos I've taken in the USVI. 

polyps.thumb.jpg.1aa1daf978b8a65795913eed39dd0b05.jpg2032804156_DSC_02312.thumb.JPG.94ec08723ee439067b048dc383b6a5ea.JPGeagleray.thumb.jpg.b0176982163fbc154c6b4c9107aab058.jpg

• Like 8

welcome to the nano reef!

I'm starting my first reef and I'm not going rimless. I'm using eggcrate as a top for the tank so I don't have any fish on the floor and the rims hold it in place great, but the look of rimless is pretty great. Can't wait to see your build. 

15 minutes ago, KatieM said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been a years long lurker, but am finally planning on starting my first reef. 

Growing up on the coast of South Carolina instilled a love for marine environments at a very young age, and I've been reading these forums since I was barely a teen about starting a nano reef. Almost ten years later I'm finally able to take the plunge. 

I'm now an oceanography student so time is on the tight side but in a couple of weeks I'll be moved into townhouse where I can finally start this journey. Currently battling myself on whether I want to shell out more $$ on a rimless setup or if I should start out with a budget build as this is my first marine tank. I just bought a UNS 60s for a paludarium project for my betta, so money and attention will be shared there as well. 

polyps.thumb.jpg.1aa1daf978b8a65795913eed39dd0b05.jpg2032804156_DSC_02312.thumb.JPG.94ec08723ee439067b048dc383b6a5ea.JPGeagleray.thumb.jpg.b0176982163fbc154c6b4c9107aab058.jpg

Welcome to NR! 🙂

cant wait to see what you have planned. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
37 minutes ago, KatieM said:

Hi everyone!

Those are amazing pics. Did you take those with a gopro or another underwater camera? Welcome to nano-reef also :smilie:

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the kind welcome. 

47 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @KatieM! 👋

Another rimless UNS tank would be really special for your reef if you can budget it! Changing a tank out later isn't impossible, but it's quite a disruptive process.

Thanks @Christopher Marks ! I come from a design background so rimless is extremely tempting. I want to keep the size around 20 gallons so there are plenty of options as well. Really partial to shallow styles though!

37 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Those are amazing pics. Did you take those with a gopro or another underwater camera? Welcome to nano-reef also :smilie:

Appreciate it! 🙂These are taken with a Nikon D5500 with an AquaTech Imaging Solutions housing. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, KatieM said:

Appreciate it! 🙂These are taken with a Nikon D5500 with an AquaTech Imaging Solutions housing.

Wow, i really thought you were gonna say a gopro lol. That's really cool, you have any other pics? I love underwater footage if you couldn't tell.

4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Wow, i really thought you were gonna say a gopro lol. That's really cool, you have any other pics? I love underwater footage if you couldn't tell.

I find the depth of field you can get on a DSLR hard to replicate, but I haven't tried any of the new ones. Anyways, ask and you shall receive 😜bear in mind this was the first time using this setup to shoot underwater and I haven't made it back down there to practice much, lol!

DSC_0857.thumb.JPG.de81331ca13a621947706b562293ec39.JPGDSC_0917.thumb.JPG.7893418dea1860ea66d8930f3669039b.JPG1916696632_DSC_01473.thumb.JPG.d63a4d19d2959aa332d7c4f8dfb93d94.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 minutes ago, KatieM said:

I find the depth of field you can get on a DSLR hard to replicate, but I haven't tried any of the new ones. Anyways, ask and you shall receive 😜bear in mind this was the first time using this setup to shoot underwater and I haven't made it back down there to practice much, lol!

DSC_0857.thumb.JPG.de81331ca13a621947706b562293ec39.JPGDSC_0917.thumb.JPG.7893418dea1860ea66d8930f3669039b.JPG1916696632_DSC_01473.thumb.JPG.d63a4d19d2959aa332d7c4f8dfb93d94.JPG

I love the last pic with the open mouth :smilie:, I love them all but the last one is great. Have you taken any shots from the south carolina coast? Is it even this clear down that way?

9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I love the last pic with the open mouth :smilie:, I love them all but the last one is great. Have you taken any shots from the south carolina coast? Is it even this clear down that way?

Thank you, me too! That's a red hind grouper, same as the one in the previous post. Unfortunately water is very murky here as well, but I've shot waves on occasion and would love to get into shooting surfers - but waves aren't very big here either 🙂

8 minutes ago, UNS said:

Wow! Thank you for sharing.

Love your quality of workmanship! 

• Like 1