ReefCleaners.org

Do I need a power head?

Hunter Lang

I have a IM Nuvo 10g and I have 8 corals right now, zoa, gsp, hammer, Kenya tree, mushroom, ricordea, candy cane, and cabbage. I have no Wavemaker or anything just my stock return pump and they all seem to be doing really well. They all flow nicely and all open up and are pretty active during the days. I was wondering is it necessary to have a power head? Or in the future? Realistically I’m probably gonna just get more zoas, mushrooms, and ricordeas and maybe a torch coral eventually and just let them all take over. Is a power head necessary? Thanks

A Little Blue

If everything seems happy and you have no issues, continue what you’re doing. Once your tank gets filled up and flow from return pump might not be sufficient enough to provide even/adequate circulation, you might want to revisit an idea of some additional flow options. 

• 3 weeks later...

Like a couple of folks have said above, if corals are open and happy then there is your answer.  This really is a good way of approaching things in general provided you are doing everything else (maintenance, reasonable stocking, etc.) in moderation.  

Additional movement would not be "bad", but extra turbulence might bother something more delicate.  If they close up and do not reopen or get "pushed" down to one side then back off.  You could also add some sort of damper/mod to a powerhead to reduce flow.  There are also some very inexpensive pumps like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWENMAU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It could be used to account for a small dead/low flow area.  I bought above item to use in my ATO system as it was tiny and would fit inside a water container without adjusting the lid/opening.  That being said, it only runs for a few seconds every couple of days, so I cannot vouch for it's long term durability/performance.  

The other thing to keep in mind is do you want more equipment in your display area?  Maybe you have a place to hide it behind some rock or overflow, but for me I am trying to move in direction of getting rid of equipment in my 5.5 gallon.  

Good luck!

--Superdave