Jump to content
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

The Not Always Bigger In Texas - MiniComplete

Recommended Posts

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Well I took the dive on the minicomplete. Gotta be honest after I opened the box and started realistically looking at what I thought could be done, I regretted buying the dang thing and posted on eBay within the same week!

Anyhow it got a ton of views but no one was willing to pay anywhere near what was payed...so left with no choice I marched forward against nearly everything I’ve learned for reef keeping. This forum luckily has an abundance of collected knowledge. 

 

FTS 1-18-4.jpg

 

Challenge #1) Heat

 The size of heaters that could shut off at a specific temp were usually too big, and the size of heaters that could fit seemed to over or under heat. So the challenge was a teeny heater that shuts off at a specific temp. Boom:

 

7703D838-8741-4BE9-9A8C-55C26790F9A5.jpeg

 

This bad mama jama is only about 3” x 1” x 1” ( let me know if you want specific dims). It fit in the sump with enough space to use 2/3 of the filter media provided.

 

2746BDC7-A90A-4005-9123-4456A387EB91.jpeg

 

The heater has a light that turns orange when heating and green when on standby. Ideally it’d be mid 70s but it seems to stay at a steady 79-80f. During the day I unplug the heater and let the tank go to my office temp of 76-78.

5C17D0C6-D0F3-442D-804A-D5978F4B7233.jpeg

 

Challenge #2) Aquascaping

Nearly every rock is Mount Everest in this thing. I looked up “The Golden Rule”, artistic ratios, and googled aquascapes for days.

Did many mock ups glued some stuff together:

1531DAAE-2B7C-4597-81E5-C9C4D63846DB.jpeg

 

After days and nights of drawings, scaping, rescaping, then rescaping, I came  up with this:

1B427533-4108-439C-A091-C123AF8E3D56.jpeg

 

Challenge #3) Substrate

This was actually wildly easy, I put a quarter cup of sand in a Dixie cup rinsed it off and added it using a spoon. Easiest and cleanest substrate I’ve done in my life. 

I figure the challenge will be seeing how the bacteria acts with this little bitty amount of sand...

5449402E-79A8-43B1-9A2E-D178AC64C2E5.jpeg

64AD3B16-9B73-402E-A349-00AA68F07AFD.jpeg

CF23C04D-78A1-4197-B2F2-AFAE21EB8FF4.jpeg

 

Challenge #4) Water

Another actually wildly easy task for the mini. Went to Walgreens and purchased a gallon of RO (“and/or distilled” lol) water for $1.27, mixed with about a half cup of reef crystals, checked parameters and went on my merry way.

D911CEB2-8552-430E-B722-A113CE304492.jpeg

CAA0E0B9-E038-4337-82AB-82816993032B.jpeg

 

FTS

Day 3, I’ll update once there is life tomorrow but here’s where it sits as of now:

0654EA40-EAE6-4297-9D63-9BED64BCD96E.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Well I took the dive on the minicomplete. Gotta be honest after I opened the box and started realistically looking at what I thought could be done, I regretted buying the dang thing and posted on eBay within the same week!

Anyhow it got a ton of views but no one was willing to pay anywhere near what was payed...so left with no choice I marched forward against nearly everything I’ve learned for reef keeping. This forum luckily has an abundance of collected knowledge, albeit limited for tanks this friggin tiny.

Here goes...

 

Challenge #1) Heat

 The size of heaters that could shut off at a specific temp were usually too big, and the size of heaters that could heat seemed to over or under heat. So the challenge was a teeny heater that shuts off at a specific temp. Boom:

 

7703D838-8741-4BE9-9A8C-55C26790F9A5.jpeg

Welcome to the mini club!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
jbb

you made a terrible decision , should have given it away. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
43 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

you made a terrible decision , should have given it away. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:

Haha I literally thought of taking one of the lower offers and getting a fluval spec iii. That 2.7 gallons seems like sooo much more by by comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
jbb
7 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Haha I literally thought of taking one of the lower offers and getting a fluval spec iii. That 2.7 gallons seems like sooo much more by by comparison.

I have one of those , it's a nice tank with proper mods 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

We have life! Well all the previous aquascaping went out the window. My LFS sells frags on rocks instead plugs, so I just glued one to a live rock and made them part of the scenery. They look more appropriately sized than the mountain I'd originally had in there imo. 

IMG_6990.JPGIMG_6982.thumb.JPG.344862f7ecda18e7137aef3953a9db58.JPG

 

IMG_6985.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

👏

 

Nice zoanthids! It really does look better without all that rock, this is a good demonstration of why it's important to leave room for frags, and the rocks they come on, when aquascaping a new tank. The Mini Complete Tank just hyper-amplifies that notion 😅.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

👏

 

Nice zoanthids! It really does look better without all that rock, this is a good demonstration of why it's important to leave room for frags, and the rocks they come on, when aquascaping a new tank. The Mini Complete Tank just hyper-amplifies that notion 😅.

Thanks Christopher! That it definitely does, lesson learned 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Had some pretty good opening today, although the orange zoa's are being a little more picky.

I had to put some styrofoam under the tank because vibrations from me typing seemed to scare all of them back into hiding every few minutes.

Hopefully the orange zoas get comfortable with a little moving and open up next week after the first water change. 

FTS 1-18-4.jpg

 

Up close with no Filter:

Open 1-18-4.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

I've got a little space (ha the irony), do you guys think it'd be beneficial to add a little 3" x 2" bag of bio media, bioballs, or maybe charcoal if I'm already doing 50-100% water change every week? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

I've got a little space (ha the irony), do you guys think it'd be beneficial to add a little 3" x 2" bag of bio media, bioballs, or maybe charcoal if I'm already doing 50-100% water change every week? 

I’m not using anything in the sump. I figure it will just cause me more headache. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m not using anything in the sump. I figure it will just cause me more headache. 

Thanks WV, might just take your advice. The big long and dirty tank looks pretty epic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Friendly

I'm thinking about how awesome it would be to put one of these on a 5 gallon bucket sump. wouldn't have to change the water for a month or more, LoL!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I'm thinking about how awesome it would be to put one of these on a 5 gallon bucket sump. wouldn't have to change the water for a month or more, LoL!

Ha for sure! I was looking into setting this on top of a gallon food storage container lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Friendly

well, if you figure out some sort of bypass, you could turn the included sump into an ATO holding tank.

Share this post


Link to post
jbb
49 minutes ago, Friendly said:

well, if you figure out some sort of bypass, you could turn the included sump into an ATO holding tank.

It's a quick fitting on both ends 

 

value-bulkhead-14-detailed.thumb.jpg.59d48692eebc13bd7bd7c5eb251a7cea.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...