Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20H what would you add next??

ConnorD42

Hey guys, so I found myself thinking about later down the road with my tank, currently I have a 20H (college problems, I live on the third floor of my apartment. Can't really risk anything bigger/heavier) stocked with a pair of ocellaris clowns, and a watchman goby as well as the cuc. All I'm running is a marineland penguin 150 HOB and a few powerheads equaling roughly 450gph. With that being said, I need to make it very clear I am in no rush to add any fish to my tank. I'm not that guy lol. I would like to add another fish in the near future but I'm limited in my options obviously due to tank size. Ideally I would upgrade to a 40 or 50+ gallon tank with a sump within the next year or two once I'm out of my current lease. Having said that, is there a fish I might be able to add as that day gets closer that will be happy in 20 gallons with the clowns and goby until I can get my hands on a 40 or 50+ gallon tank? I was leaning towards a yellow tang or a royal gramma? I have been going through compatibility charts to try to figure it out. I just know for sure that I want a fish that will stay in the mid to upper portion of the water column. Any suggestions or thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Donny41 said:

Royal gramma possibly. Definitely not a tang, 20 gallons is way too small.

Yeah I'm leaning on waiting to add a tang until I have a way bigger tank down the road the more I think about it.

If it was me, 

I wouldn't add anything to the tank because it adds bioload to the 20g. 

I would first get the new tank

then transfer everything over and use the 20h as a quarantine for the new additions.

I wouldn't add a tang to a 40-50g. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If it was me, 

I wouldn't add anything to the tank because it adds bioload to the 20g. 

I would first get the new tank

then transfer everything over and use the 20h as a quarantine for the new additions.

I wouldn't add a tang to a 40-50g. 

The bioload is a valid concern for sure. I'll start saving up my pennies.

• Like 1

Yikes no tang in a 20g...

A fang blenny would always be out in the water column and they come in many colors and patterns...even bright yellow as a replacement for the tang if you wanted yellow.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yikes no tang in a 20g...

A fang blenny would always be out in the water column and they come in many colors and patterns...even bright yellow as a replacement for the tang if you wanted yellow.

Well not forever haha IF I did get one I wouldn't want to keep it there longer than a few days, and would already have a new setup up and running waiting for it was my idea. The more I thought about it though the more that just didn't make sense to me. But clown had a really valid point with not overdoing the bioload on the tank. Granted I was going to wait a while anyways to add anything besides restocking the cuc every once in a while (heck hermit crabs -_-) I'll have to look into the fang blenny, I've never heard of that one. Thanks tamberav!!

• Like 2