inTank Media Baskets

My BTAs mouth is super puffy

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have had a BTA for about a week and a half, and his mouth all of a sudden started to get really puffy. I read that usually means that he wants food, but he won’t eat anything that I’ve tried to give him for some reason? I’ve tried to give him frozen Mysis, bc that’s what my LFS said that I should do. Tried flakes too, but I knew those weren’t gonna work. Any ideas?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Donnan said:

Any pics? How long has it been puffy? Mine does that when it's expelling waste but returns to normal within a few minutes. 

It’s been doing it for the past day, started last night. I can send a pick, but he’s shriveled up right now. He always shriveles up like this around the same time of night. My LFS said that he’s supposed to do that, it’s how they rest or something?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I can’t even get a good picture of him right now, I can barely see his mouth right now.

I’ll try to later when he looks a little better 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Donnan said:

Ok. How old is your tank?

My tank is a year in a half old, and I’m currently dealing with some algae issues 

How about your parameters; Phosphate and Nitrate?

Any temp/salinity swings? Any recent water changes?

He may just be ready to poop but above could be a reason 🙂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Daniel91 said:

How about your parameters; Phosphate and Nitrate?

Any temp/salinity swings? Any recent water changes?

He may just be ready to poop but above could be a reason 🙂

Everything should is fine, the only thing that I did that may have done something was add a small bit of water bc some water evaporated. It was purified drinking water, so it should’ve been good.

4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Everything should is fine, the only thing that I did that may have done something was add a small bit of water bc some water evaporated. It was purified drinking water, so it should’ve been good.

Drinking water as in spring water? That's not really safe, it's pretty much treated tap water.

Distilled or Rodi is the purest water and best to use.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Drinking water as in spring water? That's not really safe, it's pretty much treated tap water.

Distilled or Rodi is the purest water and best to use.

I added primer to the water, I thought that if you did that, it would be fine?

He’s looking better this morning, he’s really spread out, but mouth is still puffy.

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I added primer to the water, I thought that if you did that, it would be fine?

He’s looking better this morning, he’s really spread out, but mouth is still puffy.

That just detoxifies chlorine and ammonia/nitrites.

It doesn't remove tds, nitrates, phosphates, and all the other stuff found in bottled drinking water.

Bottled drinking water is only 1 step above tap(studies here have proved our tap water is better than bottled "spring" water)

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

That just detoxifies chlorine and ammonia/nitrites.

It doesn't remove tds, nitrates, phosphates, and all the other stuff found in bottled drinking water.

Bottled drinking water is only 1 step above tap(studies here have proved our tap water is better than bottled "spring" water)

How much does it usually cost to by a gallon of the rodi?

And where can you buy it?

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Not sure where you live but I've found it at wal-mart, walgreens here in Texas without much effort. It's floated around 1.00 a gallon. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Not sure where you live but I've found it at wal-mart, walgreens here in Texas without much effort. It's floated around 1.00 a gallon. 

Ok thank you

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So, update on the BTA. He randomly decided to move spots, he was in direct lighting, and now he decided to move to a shadier part of the rock. He’s looking much better, a lot more spread out, but puffy mouth still won’t go away. I’ve tried feeding him, but he won’t take anything that I’ve tried to give him for some reason. Maybe he’s just not hungry enough🤷‍♂️