ReefCleaners.org

Kessil a80 vs AI Prime HD (feedback needed)

lhernandez86

Curious if anyone has owned both? What are the pros and cons? I really like both and haven’t seen the a80’s in person. Curious to get your thoughts.

Never owned a kessil but the 1 con is needing a controller otherwise you need to use the dials to change it.

The a80 has a spread of 14x14

The Prime HD can be controlled by your phone/computer, has a spread of 24x24

Understand the control aspect. I think the spread is 24x24 for fish only needs but could be wrong? I guess im curious to understand the color differences? All brands look a little different just wanted everyone's opinion. It seems like to me the color and shimmer is a little more impressive from Kessil but again looking for feedback from both owners.

45 minutes ago, lhernandez86 said:

Understand the control aspect. I think the spread is 24x24 for fish only needs but could be wrong? I guess im curious to understand the color differences? All brands look a little different just wanted everyone's opinion. It seems like to me the color and shimmer is a little more impressive from Kessil but again looking for feedback from both owners.

For fish only you would needed to spend that type of money on a light at all nor would spectrum matter.

For corals, the spread matters.

Colour will depend on the spectrum you choose to set it at.

I love my Ai Prime HD.

Yea I'm getting 2 for my build just wanted to get other peoples thoughts. I have hear that the Kessil's tend to wear out after 2 yrs time....not sure how true that is. My last setup had a Radion and prior to that one I had an AI Sol. Based on both I preferred the AI and just havent explored Kessil as an option yet.

Prime has a much deeper blue color Vs what you can get out of the Kessil. It is also much more powerful. (and costs $70 more)

The Kessil looks closer to windex where the Prime is a deep blue ink pen. The Kessil has the shimmer they are known for and no fan if any noise is an issue.

Love my Kessil A80, shimmer is unmatched and like Boggers said completely silent.  However I would not use the A80 for anything beyond 10g... simply not powerful enough.  

• Like 1

I own and get growth out of both;

Kessil A80 - great light for smaller footprint aquariums with low light sps, lps and softies. Love the shimmer.

A controller is definitely not needed but very convenient if you want to customize  light cycle. I just use a timer.

AI HD - amazing light, easy and full control of light cycle, great for majority of lps, softies and sps.

Spread far better than Kessil but I hate the disco effect. Also comes at higher price point.

In the end it depends on your reefing goals - both can give you successful results but if you are looking at any aquarium bigger than a traditional 10gal, I would go AI Prime (IMO)

1 hour ago, Daniel91 said:

I own and get growth out of both;

Kessil A80 - great light for smaller footprint aquariums with low light sps, lps and softies. Love the shimmer.

A controller is definitely not needed but very convenient if you want to customize  light cycle. I just use a timer.

AI HD - amazing light, easy and full control of light cycle, great for majority of lps, softies and sps.

Spread far better than Kessil but I hate the disco effect. Also comes at higher price point.

In the end it depends on your reefing goals - both can give you successful results but if you are looking at any aquarium bigger than a traditional 10gal, I would go AI Prime (IMO)

Daniel - this is great feedback. I have a shallow tank 36x15x13 - do you think 3 a80's would do the job needed to keep all coral types and anemones? I've also heard of the disco effect but haven't experienced it in person yet. I've seen some pretty amazing looking tanks online that have 2+ a80's so just very intrigued by them...

Well define “all coral” types - 3 units would cover the spread and most likely be sufficient power/light for majority softy, lps and your typical BTAs. For SPS, I would only trust the light to be sufficient for the less light demanding and “beginner” montis, birdsnest, digis etc. 

It might be able to grow other SPS but personally I would not count on it.

The price of three a80s with gooseneck equals the price of two primes with mount. Something to consider as well