Pod Your Reef

what is wrong with my duncan?

starkschicken

starkschicken

Hey everyone.  I've been reading a lot of the posts here (never posted before) and I was wondering if I might ask for some advice.  This duncan has looked like this for over a month now and I'm not sure whether to be concerned.  Has anyone seen this?

20g long mixed (no fish)

Lighting is 150w MH (6hr) + kessil tuna blue a80 LED (only blues, 12hr)

-he is on the bottom of the tank all the way to the side away from any direct light, low-medium flow

Salinity: 1.027

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

pH: 8

Alk: 9

Ca++: 420

I feed this tank reef roids and reef energy 2-3x a week, and dose with b-ionic A+B daily

duncan coral.jpg

It has a weird tentacle shape, but if it's extending then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Seems like you treat it right too 😁

starkschicken
6 hours ago, Joevember said:

It has a weird tentacle shape, but if it's extending then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Seems like you treat it right too 😁

that makes me feel a little better.  thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 4:50 PM, starkschicken said:

Needs to be:

Nitrate:  >=5

Phosphate: >=0.03

...or higher.

Check out:

https://reefsuccess.com/2018/08/27/phosphate-deficiency-promotes-coral-bleaching-and-is-reflected-by-the-ultrastructure-of-symbiotic-dinoflagellates/

Here's a pic from the article that shows Euphillia's grown under low-nitrates/low-phosphate ("LN/LP") conditions.....(or any low-phosphate conditions):

1-s2-0-s0025326x17301601-gr1

This ^

If your phosphate and nitrate levels are truly zero...it could lead to trouble, not just for the Duncan, but other corals down the road.   Any plans on adding fish to the tank?  That could help get your levels up...feeding fish and fish poo.  I've bleached corals and almost killed some lps by stripping too much phosphate from the water with gfo.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2019 at 4:50 PM, starkschicken said:

Hey everyone.  I've been reading a lot of the posts here (never posted before) and I was wondering if I might ask for some advice.  This duncan has looked like this for over a month now and I'm not sure whether to be concerned.  Has anyone seen this?

20g long mixed (no fish)

Lighting is 150w MH (6hr) + kessil tuna blue a80 LED (only blues, 12hr)

-he is on the bottom of the tank all the way to the side away from any direct light, low-medium flow

Salinity: 1.027

pH: 8

Alk: 9

Ca++: 420

I feed this tank reef roids and reef energy 2-3x a week, and dose with b-ionic A+B daily

duncan coral.jpg

Have you tried moving it into higher flow?  My Duncan’s like flow. (Not a great pic)

2E8E45B7-749E-4161-931E-0B23E305A16F.thumb.jpeg.cfde02b21c24d929e6ddd02b97979f60.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
starkschicken
On 2/6/2019 at 9:39 PM, mcarroll said:

Needs to be:

Nitrate:  >=5

Phosphate: >=0.03

...or higher.

Check out:

https://reefsuccess.com/2018/08/27/phosphate-deficiency-promotes-coral-bleaching-and-is-reflected-by-the-ultrastructure-of-symbiotic-dinoflagellates/

Here's a pic from the article that shows Euphillia's grown under low-nitrates/low-phosphate ("LN/LP") conditions.....(or any low-phosphate conditions):

1-s2-0-s0025326x17301601-gr1

this is interesting!

I had a similar thought about the nitrates and have since been overfeeding the acans/favias with mysis and eggs a bit.  I also added a yellow coris wrasse.  He is MUCH happier, and has 6 new heads growing on the on stalk.

Thanks!

• Like 1
starkschicken
On 2/6/2019 at 11:40 PM, WV Reefer said:

Have you tried moving it into higher flow?  My Duncan’s like flow. (Not a great pic)

2E8E45B7-749E-4161-931E-0B23E305A16F.thumb.jpeg.cfde02b21c24d929e6ddd02b97979f60.jpeg

This duncan is sick!

• Like 1