Cultivated Reef

Help with bullseye mushroom

Noobreefer90

Ok so I have noticed a lot lately that my mushroom has had these strange little green peaces on its sides and sometimes on top and I’ve watched them go away before. Can anyone tell me what it is and if it’s normal E4E402DF-1E71-4F14-82F3-3326A1ED6E8E.thumb.jpeg.16141ce0bb8f06d4856dcb5227039615.jpeg

The green may be from your light reflecting on them but the only out of the norm thing I see looks to be mesenterial filaments. It is a defense mechanism.  Any other corals in the tank known to have toxins, or anything near by it?

8 minutes ago, patback said:

The green may be from your light reflecting on them but the only out of the norm thing I see looks to be mesenterial filaments. It is a defense mechanism.  Any other corals in the tank known to have toxins, or anything near by it?

No and it’s in its only little place 

On 1/15/2019 at 2:55 AM, Natereef said:

If they look like worms probably mesenterial filaments.

+1

Mine do this anytime they get pissed off, which is at least 5 times a week.  They'll suck them back inside.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 5:55 AM, Natereef said:

If they look like worms probably mesenterial filaments.

I agree.

@Noobreefer90It's a method of feeding....in fact it's their guts "going outside" to dissolve/digest some food.  

It's possible it might happen under other circumstances, but I'm not aware of that if so.

It's nerdy, but check out this journal article Tropical corallimorpharia (Coelenterata: Anthozoa): feeding by envelopment (full PDF is linked and available on the article).