hinnenkm

Grants for Teachers??

hinnenkm

Hello!

I have had a tank in my classroom for the past several years and have not done a great job documenting it with how busy this year has been, but what I am wondering is if anyone has knowledge of ways to help offset costs of the tank or to get it stocked with some more corals? I have received the Pets in the Classroom grant and when I look for others to fund saltwater aquariums, there seem to be very few out there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks all!

• Like 1

hinnenkm

Here’s the tank as it is right now, can definitely get it into better shape, but having the 10 instead of the 20 makes things much easier!

• Like 1

patback

In highschool we had a marine biology course(wasnt into reefkeeping at the time) but unfortunately, most of it was teachers out of pocket or donations.  You could maybe co tact a local aquarium to see if they could help out in any way. 

• Like 1

OPtasia

Join a local reef tank aquarium club in your hometown. Odds are, once they find out you have a classroom learning tank and need corals, you'll get inundated with frags. 🙂

• Like 4

FISHnChix

Maybe of you document this in a thread and link it too a go fund me before school starts next time it could offset the cost a bit???

• Like 1

Sparty

I have gotten funds for my classroom through the local Schools Foundation. They funded $3000 to get a 150 gal Salmon in the Classroom tank. This year they gave $1000 for a frog habitat that was donated to me from a community member.

My LFS is also a great place. They will offer $100 in equipment when we have asked about starting a reef tank, jellyfish bowl, or the frog habitat.

• Like 1

hinnenkm
3 hours ago, OPtasia said:

Join a local reef tank aquarium club in your hometown. Odds are, once they find out you have a classroom learning tank and need corals, you'll get inundated with frags. 🙂

Thanks for the suggestion, I had tried awhile back and not much luck though - which is why I'm curious to know if there are other grants available 🙂

hinnenkm
3 hours ago, Weikel said:

Maybe of you document this in a thread and link it too a go fund me before school starts next time it could offset the cost a bit???

I've thought about that too. I will have to see if I can get it up and running! I'm trying to be a little more active with tank stuff on social media. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

hinnenkm
On 1/14/2019 at 5:26 PM, Sparty said:

I have gotten funds for my classroom through the local Schools Foundation. They funded $3000 to get a 150 gal Salmon in the Classroom tank. This year they gave $1000 for a frog habitat that was donated to me from a community member.

My LFS is also a great place. They will offer $100 in equipment when we have asked about starting a reef tank, jellyfish bowl, or the frog habitat.

Great suggestions as well, thank you!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the suggestions! I guess I am just looking towards what larger organizations offer grants 🙂

• Like 1

hinnenkm

Here's the tank as of now. I recognize it's not nearly in as good of shape as I would like it to be because there was a dip in alkalinity - which is now under control and I am dosing Tropic Marin Carbo-calcium and have been maintaining consistent parameters for the past two weeks. In addition (and hopefully as a way to fund this) I had enough equipment lying around to set up a small 5 gallon that I am going to use as a frag tank. The plan is to bring in some corals from my home tank, grow them out, and use them to generate a bit of income. 

What my big goal with the frag tank though is to really involve my students in all aspects of the hobby by starting an aquarium club during recess time. During that time we would do tank maintenance, testing, learn about the animals, and discuss finances as far as tank expenses are concerned and income generated through various sources (considering a GoFundMe as well). In addition to this, I want my students involved in writing to people who grow corals/maintain tanks for a living and see what they are then able to apply to our setting.

I've been doing this for years and am always looking for ways to learn and grow with this hobby. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

hinnenkm

It's been awhile since I've been able to be active on here but I set up a donors choose site last night and now that I think about it, I might have a bit more luck and flexibility with a GoFundMe page... I will propose the ideas to my aquarium club. 

Thankfully, my students and I were finally able to have our first meeting of our Aquarium Club and they are extremely motivated because we now have the frag tank set up and I was showing them all of the zoas and the idea of using zoa sales to try and fund maintenance supplies and new inhabitants for our aquarium. I think they are particularly interested in acquiring new tank inhabitants because we have now lost 4 fish due to what first looked like ich (and what I treated for) and then the clowns were struck with what looked much like Brooklynella or at least some kind of fungal disease (treated them as well and also had them in hypo salinity). 

Here is a quick shot of the frag tank ....

• Like 4

Slim64684

The zoas are looking good. And good luck on your endeavour. 

• Like 1

hinnenkm
12 hours ago, Slim64684 said:

The zoas are looking good. And good luck on your endeavour. 

Thanks and thanks! Really looking forward to seeing where this can go 🙂

hinnenkm

Trying to be a little more active on here again now that I've got a bit more time! Here's the classroom tank at home for the summer 🙂

DSCN8389.JPG

• Like 3

Tamberav

very nice little tank 🙂

• Like 1

hinnenkm
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

very nice little tank 🙂

Thanks so much!