keri2000

Suggestions for quiet ~30 gal AIO or Nano w/ Sump

Hey, I've been in the SW hobby for a long while now. I have a 38gal bow front currently but am looking for a Nano tank for my livingroom near my TV. My wishes are that it's quiet and that it has AIO features or has a complete setup with a sump, but it's got to be quiet. Years ago I had a biocube. I liked it except for the rounded corners and mods I had to do for lighting. I would love to not do mods if possible. Show me what you've got! I would love a few sps but mostly softies. It's been so long I don't know what's out there. The IM Fusion Peninsula looks pretty cool. Are there others I should consider? 

I just got an Innovative Marine AIO (40g Fusion) and I'm really happy with it so far if that helps. The return pump it came with is pretty darn quiet by my standards.

• Thanks 1

Red Sea reefer series if you got the money.  Waterbox is popular lately too.

• Thanks 1

Fluval evo or innovative marine. Both my 5.5g and 10g are silent even with pump upgrades.

My 25g innovative marine is no longer quiet since upgrading my pump to the IM mighty jet(lots of water noise)

I have  a 32 gallon Coralife biocube,  I love it!  I set it up on Boxing Day.

The noise level of any given system has relatively little to do with the tank, but rather the components you put into it.  Most components that are supplied "in the box" are good starters, but they're not known to be the quiet ones usually. 

Go for what you like size-wise, and aesthetically for the tank.  Then, choose your lights/pumps/powerheads accordingly.  For pumps and powerheads, ideally, you could go for the variable-speed varieties that are slightly larger than needed for your tank, but then you can run it at 50-70% of the speed to help cut down the noise.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, keri2000 said:

Hey, I've been in the SW hobby for a long while now. I have a 38gal bow front currently but am looking for a Nano tank for my livingroom near my TV. My wishes are that it's quiet and that it has AIO features or has a complete setup with a sump, but it's got to be quiet. Years ago I had a biocube. I liked it except for the rounded corners and mods I had to do for lighting. I would love to not do mods if possible. Show me what you've got! I would love a few sps but mostly softies. It's been so long I don't know what's out there. The IM Fusion Peninsula looks pretty cool. Are there others I should consider? 

What size are you looking for?

I am running an Aqua Top 24g. 

http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-reef-cube-stand-combo.html  <--- that guy..

The protien skimmer it comes with is too big, and wont be practical for the sump it comes with, so i had to replace it with a Marine Color RDC150. 

The lights are also worthless if you want to grow SPS or anything with high light reqs. so that will need replacing. 

Overall, i have had a couple of tanks, and i can say the glass is comparable to ADA Tanks the guys in freshwater use.

It is High Clarity Glass, i guess the reefing community calls it starfire glass?  

It doesnt have the black edges like red sea's do, and the glass is i feel a lot more clearer, again comparable to ADA.  

You get everything you basically need, tank + stand + piping + sump + return pump + heater + light + protein skimmer. (remember the last 2 needs to be replaced)