Cultivated Reef

Newbie Nano-er Needs Lighting Help- 5g Marineland Portrait

LunaBug81

Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

Here's what I have/running:

• Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank
  • VicTsing 80 GPH pump
  • Hydor 50W Submersible Heater
  • Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment
  • Nature's Ocean Live Sand
  • 4-5lb Dry Live rock
  • Using filter floss and Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets
  • Stocked with: Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Rose Goby, and two Nerite snails.

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations.

Unfortunately the Clownfish I got two days ago has ick which I'll start treatment tonight/tomorrow.

My question and part I need help with is lighting. The stock lighting on the tank is okay but I hate that it is not programmable and I'd soon like to add some soft corals. I leave the house-weekdays-for work at 7:30am and don't usually return until 5:30pm. I'd hate for the bright light to be on that whole time. Anyone have any recommendations on a light I can upgrade to that is programmable and not super expensive? Width of my tanks is 11".

I found these but will gladly take any recommendations

AquaMaxx NemoLight

Fluval Sea Marine Nano

Photo when I first set tank up- (its no longer cloudy)

Resized_Snapchat-489635378.jpeg

Resized_20190112_192016.jpeg

Resized_20190113_000525.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the same tank for my QT. The light sux. U will definitely need an upgrade there. I couldn’t even get Green Star Polyps (GSP) to grow under them, and that stuff is insideous! I’d look at AI Primes for controllability, but I’m sure others will have recommendations too. I’d also recommend zip tying the return hose connections, as they’re a bit dodgy. I upgraded the return pump and had the hose blow off and wipe out a $200 dresser the tank was on.

An AI Prime HD will grow anything you would want in a tank that small. It'll ramp up and down as well, which is what you're looking for. But it will cost you $200 + whatever it costs for the arm. 

I'm not sure if there are any controllable LEDs that will be cheaper than that one. 

I'd look at the hipargero.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q/ref=asc_df_B0727V8C5Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072615033&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13773673700264682138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031928&hvtargid=pla-349201334870&psc=1

$60 and will grow most lps and softies. You can add a cheap mechanical timer if you dont care about ramping. I have it on my 17g and it is growing acans, zoas, gsp etc.

• Like 2

You can run the light for hours that work with your schedule. They don't need to be on first thing in the morning.

So if you are home at night, have your lights turn on in the afternoon so you get to view it at night.

I have the nemolight. It's ok but not much coral growth under it. Its even bleached some.

I'd recommend an Abi tuna blue par38 and put it on a light timer. Great growth under it and the coral colours really pop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWP37SD/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547493402&sr=8-1&keywords=abi+tuna+blue+par38&dpPl=1&dpID=51oU08UOOQL&ref=plSrch

Another good option is the hiparagero light.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q

If you want a more advanced light

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a80-tuna-blue-nano-led-light-kessil.html

Or the ai prime(over kill on a 5g unless you are doing high light sps)

If you plan no corals, theres no need for a light change. 

If your clown has ich, you will need to remove all fish and treat them in a hospital tank. Your display tank will need to go fishless fir 8 weeks to kill the ich parasite.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, paulsz said:

What dimensions are the tank? Do you plan on keeping corals? Softies, LPS or SPS?

My tanks dimensions are: 11.8 W x 11.6L x 17 H inches

I'm hoping to add just a few softies- something with color to add dimension and interest to my tank.

32 minutes ago, alpinestar said:

I'd look at the hipargero.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q/ref=asc_df_B0727V8C5Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072615033&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13773673700264682138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031928&hvtargid=pla-349201334870&psc=1

$60 and will grow most lps and softies. You can add a cheap mechanical timer if you dont care about ramping. I have it on my 17g and it is growing acans, zoas, gsp etc.

Good to know that will grow some lps and softies. I was actually just looking at it today.

24 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can run the light for hours that work with your schedule. They don't need to be on first thing in the morning.

So if you are home at night, have your lights turn on in the afternoon so you get to view it at night.

.>>>

Another good option is the hiparagero light.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q

>>>>

If your clown has ich, you will need to remove all fish and treat them in a hospital tank. Your display tank will need to go fishless fir 8 weeks to kill the ich parasite.

Good to know about the lights and work schedule. I'm thinking I will buy a timer and have them come on in the afternoon like you said so they are on in the evening. At least until I'm ready to add some corals.

You're the second person who recommended the hiparagero- definitely checking this out now.

I'm hoping its not ich but I'm going to treat just incase. She had some spots on her tail and fins the first day and then they subsided a bit and aren't as visible anymore. Could I just treat the whole tank since I only have 2 fish and no corals yet?

Thanks so much for your help.

I second the Hipergaro or a PAR bulb in a desk lamp with a timer.  I would not treat in the tank.  If you're treating with copper based medications, that will leach into the rock and you will never be able to keep corals in the tank because copper is toxic to invertebrates.  Look into the tank transfer method, it's gentler than most meds and effective in treating ich if it's done correctly.  You can even use 5 gallon buckets with a heater and something for water movement instead of buying another tank.

1 minute ago, LunaBug81 said:

May I just say how frustrating it is to have to treat ich with my first fish. Is this normal for fish to come with ich??

Ich is a common disease in fish, but it's also one of the most treatable.  There's lots of information on treating it.  Ideally a fish will come healthy with no diseases but the process of getting a fish from ocean or breeder to store is stressful for the fish and can lower their immune response and leave them susceptible to getting sick.  It's actually common for fish to have ich but not show signs of it until stressed.  I should note that you'll also want to keep the fish out of the display for 6-8 weeks so that the ich can run through its life cycle without a host and fully die off.  Longer is better.

My first ever marine fish came with...something, I never figured it out.  Tiny baby clown, maybe an inch long, and she showed signs of sickness very quickly.  I ended up taking her back to the store because at the time I didn't have the money to buy a bunch of meds in hopes of saving her.

2 hours ago, LunaBug81 said:

Good to know about the lights and work schedule. I'm thinking I will buy a timer and have them come on in the afternoon like you said so they are on in the evening. At least until I'm ready to add some corals.

You're the second person who recommended the hiparagero- definitely checking this out now.

I'm hoping its not ich but I'm going to treat just incase. She had some spots on her tail and fins the first day and then they subsided a bit and aren't as visible anymore. Could I just treat the whole tank since I only have 2 fish and no corals yet?

Thanks so much for your help.

No treatment in tank. The rock and sa d absorbs meds.

The only meds that are "safe" is metroplex with focus directly fed to the fish.

No inverts can eat it. 

A good Carbon must be used to remove any traces from the tank.

1 hour ago, LunaBug81 said:

May I just say how frustrating it is to have to treat ich with my first fish. Is this normal for fish to come with ich??

It's why most quarantine their fish so that if they are sick, it doesn't cause issues within the tank.

Ich is contagious so all fish need treating.

Gourami Swami

I learned the same lesson getting my first fish for my reef with ich. It is actually very common for the parasite to live "managed" and dormant in store tanks. It's a real a PITA to treat once you have corals in the tank. Had to let my reef go fishless for 8 weeks. Now I will quarantine any fish additions, and dip any coral or rock added; not worth the headache. Though I guess you don't have any room to be adding more fish in the 5g anyway.

On the lighting subject- I recommend the hipargero with a cheap timer. That's what I'm using on a 6.8 gallon, and it's growing SPS, LPS, and softies, all very well. Can't beat it for the price. That fluval light looks good but I have read very mixed reviews. Either one would probably work for you, hipargero is cheaper, if that's a concern. 

A lot of it depends on how customizable you want the programming options.  AI Prime HD would be the gold standard for Nano and Pico Tanks and gives you programming options that are beyond ridiculous.  If you just need a timer, then I agree that a cheap timer from Walmart or hardware store will fit the bill with any of the aforementioned lights.